Looking for Speakers to Talk at Tinnitus to Silence Event 18th July London ~ Julian Cowan Hill

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Jiri, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      For anyone located in the UK or London, this could be interesting:

Looking for speakers to talk at Tinnitus to...

Julian Cowan Hill's event information:

"I am holding an event at 630pm on Thursday 18th July in central London called "Tinnitus to Silence." I am inviting speakers who have made a very good recovery from tinnitus to hearing silence in a quiet room to talk alongside me for 10 minutes to about 80 people about their journey. We will record this event and put it onto YouTube to help the tinnitus community know that hearing silence in a quiet room is possible even after having tinnitus badly for a long time. If you are interested in talking please can you contact me at info@juliancowanhill.co.uk"

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Can we finally call him a scammer now?

He called tinnitus a temporary condition in the video!!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      When I first got tinnitus I quickly found his videos and thought he was going to explain how to make the ringing stop and after about 5 minutes I realized that he was pure nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does he actually sell a service?

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Good grief. :arghh:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Does he have a Twitter account?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Cojackb and GSC:

Please see my entry dated 03/15/2019 regarding this irritatingly pseudoscientific, opportunistic, shameless quack.

His entire thesis compiled in 153 videos consists of the utterly unfounded allegation that all you have to do is neutralize and willfully ignore your anger/panic reaction to this and the brain will eventually "forget" (by some sort of "miracle neuroplasticity") about it and it will thus disappear.

He pretends to be an expert on brain physiology, neurology, massage therapy, psychotherapy, relation management, nutrition, exercise, tai chi, yoga, mindfulness, meditation et.al. when all he has is a "degree" in Cranial Sacral Massage (which has been described as a "pseudoscience" and "quackery").
      His level of quackery reaches truly breathtaking proportions. He has stated that writing the word "love" or "hate"on a piece of tape and then affixing it to the outside of a container will actually alter the molecular composition of the substance (the examples he gives are rice and ice) inside that container.

In another video he actually said that an MRI cannot present a visual record of the internal situation of any portion of the body. He used this as a defense that although there is admittedly no scientific validity to his methods, they nonetheless produce astounding results.

Finally, in his latest video he waxes with high indignation because he apparently sent a detailed letter to the British ENT Association about how his methods result in certain, bona fide cures and he has never received a response (he claims to have completely eliminated this condition from a number that frequently varies from "600 to 800" patients although he seems unable to present a single signed affidavit confirming this).

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      OMG.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's called, "I'm in my late twenties and have no college degree or connections because I just partied all the time like a jabroni so I can't get a job to live a middle class lifestyle so I turned into a YouTube disease guru like Ryan Shelton."

10. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It does go away for some people. But he’s still wrong for saying that. It ignores literally all of the chronic tinnitus sufferers who have tried everything to no avail.

I read a meta analysis on tinnitus treatments today and they cited a CBT example of a patient who didn’t want to go to a dinner function because their tinnitus was louder than conversations. CBT says: Focus on enjoying the meal and the environment, not the fact that you won’t hear the conversations with your loud tinnitus. That’s treatment??

11. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      He does: Tinnitus Therapy, Core Process Psychotherapy and Craniosacral Therapy

From his homepage:
      "Tinnitus is a temporary state where we tune into the noise of the central nervous system, which we normally ignore. Our hearing has become too switched on and detects nervous impulses inside our head. That’s what tinnitus is.

When the nervous system settles and we stop feeling threatened by tinnitus, we come out of red-alert mode and our ears stop listening out so acutely.

As our hearing turns from red-alert back towards calm mode we naturally stop listening to the nervous impulses of the nervous system, and our hearing returns to normal."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yeah, that's really gonna help drive the cause for a cure...

...NOT!

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Autumnly - Thank you for posting this absolutely classic example of
      JCH bullshit !!

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No - he sells bullshit.
      Gets a good price for it too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      An attempt to gain credibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I should say that if you are looking for a kindly, avuncular pseudo guru type, then you have found him.

However, if what you need is an effective treatment, I would recommend that you keep looking.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Julian Cowan Hill says:
      β€œI had tinnitus for sixteen years, very badly for four years - and I don’t have it any more.”

Is that suggestive of a cure - or am I wrong?

β€œHearing silence in a quiet room is still possible even after having had it badly for a long time.”

Psychological β€˜Snake Oil?’

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why do people let their mustache grow over their top lip?
      Do they ever drink anything? Or kiss anyone?

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      aka a lie?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know someone who sells tinnitus pills and other supplements online and makes a ton of money. Lots of return customers for the tinnitus pills too.

I think they probably help tinnitus sufferers sleep better due to the natural ingredients.

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Man, I cannot believe this guy is still around peddling his nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've been fortunate to be able to get weekly Physical Therapist treatments for about the past six months. My therapist incorporates plenty of cranial therapy (Cowan-Hill's main modality) into her sessions, and I've found it to be very helpful. I've also noticed on a handful of occasions that my tinnitus diminished for a day or so after a session, but it never held..

However, it's not difficult for me to believe that since cranial therapy was able to affect my tinnitus at least temporarily, that it could probably help at least some others on a more permanent basis. Cowan-Hill says that's what happened to him, and I have no reason to disbelieve him. Fortunately, I've had insurance cover my sessions, whereas somebody doing 20-30 cranial sacral sessions out of pocket would find it to be an expensive experiment.

Some people have gotten rid of their tinnitus with many other unconventional means as well, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, Massage, Upper Cervical Chiropractic, Specialized Neck Adjustments, Change of Diet, Certain Supplements, HBOT, Certain Ear Drops, TMJ Adjustments, Amalgam Removal, Gum Disease Treatment, etc. The list is almost endless. Doesn't mean any of these will work for a given individual, but I wouldn't discount the fact that any of these can work for others.

I think we all have varying degrees of tinnitus, some of which is likely deeply embedded for whatever reasons, and some of which barely meets the threshold of causing tinnitus. It's those who have the latter who I think stand the best chance to benefit from any number of these unconventional therapies. -- I know the comments here on Julian-Hill have been pretty harsh, but I have to say I like the guy. And I applaud him for continuing to search out input from others who have improved their tinnitus situation.

BTW, I'm not unaware that most of you will think I'm overly naive, or too willing to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. But please don't be too eager to express it; in the strongest terms. -- Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Erik:

My sentiments exactly. He even has a YouTube entry called "Julian Cowan Hill - Fraudster" where he reads comments from respondents who have sent him the most virulently censuring replies. No matter how many he receives he still acts as if they are to be pitied for their inability to recognize his truths.

He is apparently completely undaunted by the mass of severe criticism that characterizes him as a transparently false pseudo-expert.

Consider Autumnly's entry quoting him as saying that "we tune into the noise of the central nervous system."

There is literally no such thing.

Then he says "our hearing becomes too switched on... we should stop listening out so acutely".

This is ridiculous; my sensation was entirely based on an inner reception of sound.

He in fact embodies many of the characteristics of a pathologically narcissistic cult leader.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It is my belief that tinnitus results from broken stereo cilia in the cochlea, where the serving nerve has died.
      No amount of cranial massaging, diet, acupuncture, supplementation, prayer, etc... is going to cure demolished nerve cells.

I do not believe he has an answer for that.
      Certainly his book does not contain one.

However I do not believe that we are completely powerless to develop coping methods which can help us to assimilate our problem.

If he truly and demonstrably had the cure, sufferers would be flocking to his door, instead of staying away β€˜in their droves!’

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      To be honest I'm quite looking forward to this event. Maybe the speakers who had tinnitus for a long time and got to that stage where they can now hear silence in a quite room will have some helpful tips.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's broken stereocilia and/or retracted synapses. I think @Contrast's loudness regarding the loss of synapses is correct.

I believe that most of us have retracted ribbon synapses as opposed to dead hair cells.

27. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      A short temporal diminishing doesn't mean that the treatment will be able to produce any permanent benefit, I have been able to temporarily get my tinnitus to 0.5 several times by swimming + hot shower after, and it always comes back to baseline.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Kratos -- Wow, that's pretty incredible, even if it's only temporary. Many on this forum would probably do just about anything to get even some kind of transient relief. -- I've seen some discussion here on the forum that hot wash cloths over (or in) the ears help some get degrees of temporary relief. Have you by any chance tried that? I was going to, and then forgot. Will maybe try that tonight.