Looking for the Best Treatment That I Can Do Myself

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert Dendy, Jan 4, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Robert Dendy

Robert Dendy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      I'm looking for the best treatment, hopefully with the most supporting evidence, that I can do myself. People in the counseling and audiology fields have talked of TRT, now I'm reading here about notched music therapy, just want to know the best thing I can do. I tend to take long walks so anything that can be done there would be really good. Thanks.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Notched music is fine, but one needs to be patient with it. Takes a while to see results. Well, TRT isn't instantaneous either...

TRT is basically a combination of having counseling sessions, ones of educating kind, and employing masking at a level where you can still hear your tinnitus. This supposedly speeds up habituation. See more at tinnitus.org.
      Lots of tinnitus sufferers have only done the masking part, and it has worked well.

Exercise is good for anybody, so it's great you take those long walks. Music is easy to take on the go. :)

Good luck.

Markku

3. Robert Dendy

Robert Dendy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Thanks Markku. Anything I can do with my iPhone and earbuds would be good. I usually listen to music but I am often tempted to turn it up loud so I end up finding it counterproductive. If I could somehow substitute the music for a tinnitus therapy that might help.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I believe the best treatment is to accept it then get busy masking it, and preventing more T.
      I knew I had a serious problem in the 70's, playing loud music. So I quit. It was too late for me. I still have it. I've been to all kinds of doctors, had all kinds of tests, and have tried every kind of nutritional supplement. For ME, cottonballs and earplugs are a way of life. And yes, through the years, I've 'taken my chances' around loud music, only to pay the price. It all adds up ... then I habituate a little... then I goof up ... it gets louder etc etc
      I believe INTENSE concentration on soft self-made music is great treatment. In other words, get a nylon string guitar or spider cone slide guitar. No whistles or fiddles, and NO rock music.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So I who love music, I am considering taking up the ukulele. A good choice? I can no longer sing with my large community choral group (too much noise) but think can handle an uke group. Played the guitar as a kid.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A Uke would be great I bet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Yes, as Markku stated notched music and tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT). Can be done by yourself. I found just reading some of the material about TRT to be very helpful emotionally and mentally. I would try notched music, but to be honest I can never find my frequency.

Both do take time. For instance, the recommended time frame for TRT is 12-24 months.

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Cool, thanks! I'll let you know how goes. I went to a uke meet up just to observe and the musicians were super nice and friendly.