Loud Intercom Tone Exposure — Ears Ache and Feel Full

Discussion in 'Support' started by astaff14, Dec 20, 2019.

1. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Well fuck me. At work having a horrible day and then some error over the intercom paging happens to where their paging tone played for a good 20-30 seconds.

I had ear plugs in but not secured well, when I realized it was happening I put my hands over my ears and the ear plugs in more and ran out, rammed into a customer even, it stopped just as I was getting to the door.

I’m panicking, my tinnitus isn’t worse yet but my ears feel full and already I am more sound sensitive, ears ache.

Hiding in the bathroom panicking now. It was probably a good 95 dB or so, maybe 100 dB.

I really embarrassed myself too. I don’t want to go back down there.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I know how you feel. It's like a succession of coincidences that don't bring luck, but seem to conspire to fuck you over like you have a curse on your life. I am very familiar with the feeling. You're not alone. Just stay calm and try and laughh it off. Hopefully it won't make your tinnitus worse. Please check out the turmeric/curcumin thread.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/turmeric-with-curcumin-seems-to-be-helping.27603/

• Like Like x 1
    3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm sorry that happened. I hope it's just a minor bump for you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It really does feel like that a lot... like there’s this dark cloud hanging over me or something. Even on ~good~ days! I’m sorry you’ve had to suffer through it too. Truly, we all deserve better than this shitty disease.

It’s been about 5 hours now and it’s still not worse and the hyperacusis has calmed down a little bit so I’m feeling a little more hopeful. The next couple days will really tell if I get a spike though, we’ll see.

I will check that out. I’ve been wanting to try curcumin actually, magnesium seems to help me mildly so I’m sure other supplements may as well. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @New Guy thank you for your kind words man. I really hope so too, I can’t deal with a spike so soon (1.5 months) after a fire alarm exposure I don’t think.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Day after and I’m feeling not terrible but not great either. My hearing feels worse and after another shift my tinnitus feels spiked, I can’t tell if it’s because I’m exhausted, stressed and have a headache after today’s work day though.

I think I need a new job.

7. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I feel so bad for all of us suffering with this stuff, and living life so precariously with little reward of relieve. But I have to say, the 20 to 30 second noise event you describe doesn't seem too bad and doesn't seem like you will end up with a permanent spike. Wishing the best for you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What is your employment background and education? I suggested that you look for a quiet office job. The only noise there would be if a janitor passes through with a vacuum. You never replied though.

I don't know why some here will continue with a job which has regular periods of loud noise around. It's not worth it. Especially, if your tinnitus is not at a severe level. Trust me, you want to avoid that if you can.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Me too - when it happened my heart started racing and I had a true panic reaction, cried and everything. Precarious living for sure! And for so many of us, it gets worse over time... tragic :(
      You’re right, I don’t feel terrible, only a bit spiked and to where it’s not really annoying me more than usual except for a bit more sound sensitivity. Should go down I’d imagine.
      Thank you for your kindness man, I hope you’re doing well too.