Low Frequency Hearing Loss, Now Pulsating Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sova, Jan 31, 2018.

1. sova

sova Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and allergies
      I'm new to this site. Viewed it last night while searching for a quick remedy for very annoying low hum pulsating (beating) in my left ear. This particular ear problem (and I've had several) started in October 2017 after we had our upstair floors urethaned (oil based). We left the house immediately for a few days but the smell lingered for several months. And, in December after a two glasses of wine that night I experienced the pulsating tinnitus for the first time. I thought the cause was sulfites. Later I found out that eating anything made of soy triggered the beating tinnitus, and sometimes being over-tired did the same thing.

But the story of my ears started even before this. In 2011, I spent 4 months of nearly constant work cleaning a hoarder's house. This was a family memeber and I was the executor of the Estate. I felt it my responsibility to rescue family heirlooms, photographs, etc., In retrospect, I should have just dumped all the contents. I did find a Mexican gold coin but even that was not worth the loss of hearing that followed. There were mouse droppings, mold and even a petrified squirrel in all the garbage. It was like the nightmares you see on television. The garbage collectors took photos of the stuff we put outside (all organized in boxes). During the sorting and trashing I sometimes wore a hepa mask but not all the time. And, I do think toxins got in past my eardrum. Is that possible?

After the first week as Executor, I developed dizziness and anxiety attacks everytime I approached the house. My doctor gave me Lorazapam and that helped. I continued and by September the house was clean and ready to be sold. And, it was in September that I noticed that I could no longer hear the cat purring. Nor, could I hear the low rumble of the train that ran north of our cottage.

I took hearing tests and they found a blip in the low frequecncy area that was non-receeptive to sound. I had low frequency deafness in the right ear (why not the left I don't know). The right ear would occasionally get the low humming tinnitus which lasted for a few seconds (at most 30 seconds). Both ears suffer the sound of the ocean, constantly but it is the low hum that is scary and the pulsating hum is even more upsetting. I am grateful that I seem to be able to control it.

All through 2011-2017, I would occasionally feel ear pressure, then the dizziness would come on. Lorazapam usually helped. However, I didn't want to be taking a tranquilizer so found natural GABA pills and took those along with Gotu Kola. I had read that GABA quietens the overexcited over-active neurotransmissions that go on in the brain. That stress depletes our own reserves of GABA. Lorazapam supplies GABA so it works.

The very deep, low pulsating tinnitus started, as I mentioned after exposure to oil based urethane. I ran back to the lorazapam which worked really well, most of the time. When it didn't I'd go for B-1 (thiamine) and fat soluble B-1 (benfotiamine) and B-12. I chose these because some dentists recommend B-1 for the nerves of the teeth. These helped but only after 1/2 an hour or so of anxiously waiting - will it stop?

On your site, I read of TPP, another form of B-1 and I'm going to try that.
      In summary, I'd say that avoiding toxic smells, allergy foods, stress and taking certain supplements or even Lorazapam, will help. I'm not a doctor and shouldn't be advocaating medicines, but the lorazapam does help because of the GABA.

I wish healthy solutions for everyone afflicted.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. For pulsatile tinnitus. you may want to post in the PT forum. Our notable member @Karen is quite experienced with PT. So if you have any question about PT, she is the one to inquire about. I wish you well. Take care. God bless.