Low Frequency Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gin, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Does anyone else have low frequency tinnitus (like a constant low pitch hum) that goes away when you talk or hum? I've noticed it goes away when I hum or talk, but when I take a breath or stop it returns. It also stops when I hear songs at a certain frequency or other people talk sometimes. Anybody??

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Guess not. I must be crazy then lol

3. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Thanks for your help. It's weird lol. I sing it goes away, but when it returns it sounds like someone dropped a microphone down on a stage (only way I can describe it). I did find it is kinda annoying, because when I have that moment of silence, I get jealous knowing that other people get to live a life where they hear that silence all the time.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gin,
      I have a second sound that has been quite recent with a heavy cold and ear and chest infection.
      Its a low base drone sound and was a shock to my system as my T is very high pitched in both ears and never stops.
      God I thought I had a band going on in my head.
      It comes and goes still but dont think my ear infection has completely gone as getting ear ache...
      Lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have this exact thing! It's like a subwoofer drone.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Well its good to know I'm not alone. Its actually gotten quieter, however, if I listen I can hear it. Just trying to not give it the attention, ha. No dizzy spells today. Feel pretty good. I found that Meclazine is amazing for sleep. Last two nights slept like a baby.

8. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Like @glynis , I also have two tones in my ear. One is quite high pitched, but the other is a much lower deeper sound to it. It also pulsates (e.g. like a police siren)... Good news is it has a pretty funky beat to it, so I've gotten used to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      It's sooo annoying. Sometimes mine will pulsate but most of the time it's just a constant dull roar, like thunder or bass. When I get upset or stressed it gets louder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      lowering, and eventually removing your emotional reaction to tinnitus is really, really, hard (it's why we all ended up here:)). really the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm a few months ahead of you, and it wasn't long ago that I needed xanax to get through the day, and ambien to sleep through the night. But I've gotten so much better in the last few months, and now I'm actually convinced I'll continue to get better and there'll come a day where I am almost entirely unaware of my tinnitus (I am maybe half the day now, 7 months in). You'll get there. Just try and stay positive.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gin,
      I totally understand just how hard it can be.Mine is like a vuvu footy tube like a fog horn that comes on now and then but my constant sound is a high pitch sound that is the same sound as my gas oven on full...bit of a band starting......lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Im trying. I know the dizzy spells I have experienced make my T look like cake. ha. Meclazine has been wonderful for getting sleep at night. Not a problem anymore, which is great. Couldn't say that a week ago. Sleep was an endless struggle. Just waiting till Jan to see ENT increases my anxiety. But I have to admit it's not as bad as it was a month ago. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Since I haven't been to the ENT yet I still have a lot of questions. Like could these dizzy spells just be from a problem with my inner ear or the hearing loss, rather than Menieres. I ask this because I don't have the vertigo.

14. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gin,
      That's some positivity for you .
      I sleep well to due to medication and That's a big positive to coping better .
      What's the weather like where you live ?
      It's freezing cold and windy and raining and might see a little snow over the weekend...lots of love Glynis

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I'm in Nashville. It's been rainy and gloomy. But today Sunny no clouds and 60 :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Damon Clarke

Damon Clarke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Hi Gin, Seems like ive got similar thing to you, its been going for about two weeks. A low humming sound in left ear that doesnt stop. I can hear it go away when i talk or hum or if other people talk at a certain volume, or if a plane flies over, but then it comes back straight away. The really weird thing is if i slap my left ear, the humming stops for a few seconds, then comes back. Also if i bend my neck upwards, the sounds reduces.
      My doctor put me on antibiotics and Im trying to get an appointment with an ENT soon - let me know how you get on with yours.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Damon, Hey there. Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. Mine has actually gotten better. I kept telling myself everytime I heard the humming sound that it wasn't important and kinda masked it with sound around me. I don't know if I got to the place where I didn't notice it anymore or it disappeared. Anyway over the Holidays it was great. No problems. Then this past weekend happened. I noticed Sat my ears were getting that full plugged feeling coming on. I tried to ignore it. By Sunday night it was pretty bad. Yesterday was awful the humming was gone but roaring was back with REALLY REALLY intense H. It lasted all day yesterday. I pretty much stayed in tears, as I tried to work etc. Last night was probably the worst I've had it. Loud and the H was killing me. My head hurt bad then I had the dizzy spells (they think maybe Menieres). I took 2 Meclazines and tried to sleep. I was terrified to even go one more day like yesterday. But I woke up and it is MUCH better. Still not 100 %. But little to no roaring, no humming, etc. I actually sat in my car and listened to silence for the first time in awhile. Soaking it in. Not sure how long it will last. It's good to know that even on days where I am on my last stretch of patience that things will get better.

18. Albert
      Confused

Albert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high volumes maybe
      Hello Gin.i was searching at the web about tinnitus and accidentally ended up here.your post was the reason I subscribed here.i can tell you for sure that you are not crazy when you say that the low frequency noise stops when talking.i have the exact same problem at my right ear two weeks now and i feel that there is a track with an open engine outside my room or a refrigerator at my neibors house and making noise through the walls .for sure it stops when I am talking (even if i spell just one word)but instantly comes back when I stop talking.when I realized that my speech was masking the noise I thought that i was getting mad.i am going to the doctor this Friday and I was not sure if I had to tell him that the noise stops when talking cause I thought that he will think that I am crazy but now after your post I will definitely tell him.your post is a kind of relief for me thank you!sorry for wrong spelling English are not my native language

ohh i forgot to mention that this song is masking my low frequency tinnitus instantly (if that helps)
      Meditation, Relaxation, and Tinnitus Sound...

19. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    20. Mojo

Mojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Gin

I have had the same thing as you described it always did come and it also did go away.
      I noticed that it was maybe due to a light cold or allergic reaction.
      Greetings Ron

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Well the hum has been gone for about a week and a half now. I have a low bass noise that comes around every once in awhile. Right now I am cycling between 4 good days and 1 to 1 1/2 bad. The bad days consist of a roaring noise, dizziness, and extreme H coupled with the feeling of plugged ears. I can blow the tubes open, so I know they aren't plugged. Its been crazy. But I tell you I will take 1 to 2 bad days a week anytime over what it was like when it began. My first ENT appt is in Jan. And I look forward to finding out more about what is going on.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      P.S. I'm new so apparently I don't know how to do the quote thing yet. haha

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      This was my reply to your quote....

I do still have the hum every few days or so. I found what masks mine exactly is on youtube. Its an old motel air conditioner. Hilarious, I know. I can also mask it by my air vent in the bathroom. So taking long hot baths with it on really helps. I don't notice it if I'm at a restaurant or out in public as much. Outside I rarely hear it too. For awhile, I hated being home. My house is small and quiet and I could hear it plain as day when I walked in. I started surrounding my house with sound during the day. And at night I would take a long hot bath by candlelight. I would also run on my treadmill (couldn't hear it with that thing going). I would run my fan at night, watch Andy Griffith on tv, and have a glass of wine. Everytime I heard it during the day, I would tell myself its not important and not focus on it. Not give it a thought. Think of something else or get busy doing something else quick. Within a few days I either habituated or it went away. Now it comes back but I don't panic.

25. thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      treatment of a long term ear infection with antibiotics
      Hey gin, going through this currently, low pitched 600hz in the left ear. HATED coming home from work for the same reason, just curious if it ever went away. If you dont reply I'll assume it either went away your you totally accepted it and dont bother coming here anymore

• Creative Creative x 1
    26. Ben60527

Ben60527 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had tinnitus since 2015 , almost 2 years now, it started with the high pitch, couldn't determine which ear though as it's almost central, sometimes I think it's my right ear but when I concentrate on direction I have a hard time determining the source ear. I've done all kinds of tests anyone can think of including a 2 hour MRI and AngioMRI, and detailed blood analysis, been to all types of doctors including ENT, neurologist, Audiologist, orthopedic and dentist. Not even an indication of source. hearing is perfect. beyond audiologist standard hearing test I downloaded tone generator on ipad and sweeped frequencies 20-20K, I'm deaf beyond 14K which is normal for my age of 50. I consider my Tinnitus stable when it comes to the high pitch sound, some days are better than others but it's been the same. now 3 months ago, a low frequency humming started , around 75K-85K hertz. i hear it more when it's quiet around and it's annoying as hell. it's like an AC compressor running all the time and varies in intensity. I hope someday they find the cause of tinnitus and I'm very convinced it's not related to hearing loss.

27. Nikka Grishkova

Nikka Grishkova Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown, but I suspect EHS
      I have the same dull roar that seems to pulsate with a low pitch. It is only in my right ear for some reason

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      When I recently took a hearing test I discovered that I in fact have a low pitch tinnitus hum in my left ear.

29. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      That's my tinnitus too. Only in the left ear.

30. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      I also have low frequency tinnitus in one ear. It's around 500 Hz.