Low-Pitch Tinnitus After Rear-End Car Collision

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by benjk, Aug 30, 2020.

1. benjk

benjk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident
      Hello,

I’m new here. I was involved in a rear end accident a week or so ago, as a passenger. I’ve got whiplash, some neck pain, etc.

But I did notice the development of a low pitch noise. I notice it more when going to sleep or sitting in a quiet room. It’s a very low pitch eeee or hiss - very hard to describe.

I know I may be stuck with this for life and I know what it entails to some degree having done a lot of reading.

One thing I did note is somebody on here mentioning pain signals could be coming from neck issues / muscles etc... I mean it’s a week into all this for me and I do have odd neck pains. Planning to see a chiropractor to assess and see if I need any adjustments - I know whiplash can take time to get over.

What’s the thinking here on pain signals from muscles / neck / head injury causing tinnitus?

Thanks and hello.

2. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Hi @benjk! Your tinnitus is very likely caused from whiplash. You should see an upper cervical chiropractor, they should be able to help you. Here is a link that explains it well (it doesn't have to be a NUCCA chiropractor):

https://www.riosspinalcare.ca/nucca/

Good Luck!
      Sarah

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      benjk

benjk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident
      Thanks, I’m going to allow a few weeks healing before I do anything drastic as the body should be able to heal itself, I hope, and if it persists I think I will see a chiropractor.

4. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Sounds good! Just to let you know, NUCCA is a very gentle procedure - no cracking, etc. Many times whiplash causes the atlas vertebra to shift, leading to various symptoms as the spinal cord is chocked - including tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      benjk

benjk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident
      Hello,

I posted before, but I'll post again something a bit more substantial. My tinnitus came on after a minor car accident, at least I think so, I got whiplash around 2 weeks ago, but having said that the ringing was after a lot of alcohol, a fun night out you could say.

I have for the past several years had a number of on-going health issues, 3 operations, a lot of stress, and a close family member going through depression, so my stress levels as you can imagine have been high. I also was made redundant recently.

To coincide with all this I have had sinus pressure, although I feel it resolved somewhat I tend to get lingering sinus.

As for my tinnitus, I find it noticeable when in quiet rooms, so TV off, just me and the bed, it's a low pitch hiss or eee, I sometimes find it hard to pin point, it feels more in the head than the ear.

I find if I'm watching TV with somebody else, with the fridge in the background and other sounds, I barely hear it. In fact typing to you now it's not hugely noticeable. Having said that when I'm in my room for an evening watching TV alone I'm more conscious of it... hmm?

Also I can go off to sleep no issue, and when I wake I hear nothing major, almost as if it's gone, I lay there sometimes for a further hour and think this is good, but as I get up and more active it's more noticeable.

I'm still confused by all this tinnitus.

For me I don't know I'll ever know what caused it, the accident, a recent build-up of stress, alcohol. I suppose it's not worth thinking about. I sometimes do wonder if I read the word "tinnitus" online and then developed it, as strange as that sounds - some kind of psychological response to looking up symptoms.

I'm going away for a few days this weekend with a friend, first time out since it all started. I plan to do things as normal as possible, with a mind for loud places.

I'm naturally hoping I'll get better and heal. I guess a good sign is the fact it is not as present as it could be and it seems I can distract myself at times from it. The true test will be this weekend away.

I just wanted to share my odd experience, maybe I do have tinnitus, maybe I don't - I just don't get it!

Questions...

- If it's not noise-induced tinnitus (which I don't think it is) then should generally going out and about be okay? I'm almost fearful of leaving the house.

- If it is stress-induced tinnitus, would medication help or should I avoid it for now?