Lunesta (Eszopiclone) and Much Lower Tinnitus Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by GWW, Mar 20, 2018.

1. GWW

GWW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’ve had extreme loud volume tinnitus along with Hypercusis for 4 and a half months now. It is a nightmare to say the least. There is a sleep med I’ve been taking for years called Luntesta and I swear it brings down the symptoms by about half. It’s like a godsend that it’s working with me that way.

I’m curious if there is any other drug that could work like that?

I’d love to hear some theory’s on why lunesta does this also if there are any other drugs, besides benzos, that could help considering my experience. Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Riderz43

Riderz43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gabapentin?
      Been taking lunesta before I got T and after. I think it has to do with good sleep so the brain can clear out its trash. When I sleep well my T goes way down in the morning (unilateral left side). If I drink alcohol, the next day is a spike. I take Xanax with the Lunesta which seems to produce the best sleep and an almost disappearance of T in the morning for a few hours. Although you should NOT mix those two drugs or touch either while drinking alcohol. But desperate people take desperate measures.

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Out of interest does your T also go down when you sleep well?

4. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Although chemically different from benzo´s, these Z-drugs work on the same inhibitory receptors(GABA) in the brain. It works well on tinnitus for many(me included), but tolerance and withdrawal for these kind of meds can often be a living hell. Be careful!!
      Btw: 3 mg of Lunesta equals 10 mg of Valium or .5 mg of Xanax or Klonopin

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GWW

GWW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It seems to bring it down about a half hour after I've taken it. This of course makes it easier for me to get to sleep. Maybe I'm having a placebo effect but not entirely sure.

Grate, wasn't aware of how closely benzo's and z drugs had in common but it makes sense. I was on Valium for awhile years ago and it was a brutal withdrawal. Thanks for the heads up.

6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Do you have a reference for this statement? I know the Z-drugs effect some of the anxiety related benzo sub-receptors but to a lower degree than actual benzos.

7. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Yes, you are right about that. Z- drugs acts more on receptor sub-units and thus are different than most benzo´s and they are, as I said, chemically different. Maybe they are not as dangerous as benzo regarding tolerance and addiction, but they do act on our GABA receptors and it´s no surprise to me that they help alleviate your T. It has an inhibitory effect on our brain and neurons.

If you read on the internet, there are no shortage of horror stories similar to benzo withdrawal.

It is, however, very individual, indeed, how we react to these drugs. My Grandma took a benzo, (in the sedative class) every day, from when she was 20, and lived to be 94 without obvious problems.

I´m no expert, but who is? I have never met one, and I have met them all through detox centers and such.
      But I have read extendedly on the subject the last 3-4 years.

I´m currently taking baclofen, also a GABA POM(agonist). No doctors have told me it´s addictive, but I know better, thus I´m being very careful.

When it comes to benzo and z-drugs equivalency I put my trust in Heather Ashton´s chart. One of few people who have actually studied them well.(scroll to the bottom):

https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
      • Like Like x 1