Magnesium Threonate

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Azariah, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Hi all:

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with a particular form of magnesium called Magnesium Threonate?

-Azariah

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I tried it this morning and it seemed to have somewhat of a small effect on my noise induced type tinnitus. I only taken it once though. However, I am also taking a glutamate lowering drug that might be part of it. I'm not sure if this is a safe combo yet because the body needs glutamate. This could have bad side effects for me but I hope not. My theory is that glutamate can be involved somewhat in tinnitus. Since it crosses the blood brain barrier, it could lessen the amount of NMDA receptors firing by blocking some of them. I am no scientist and I have been wrong before so this theory could be "out there". If it does work, I do not know how long it would last. Check out the video below to see what I am talking about. Keep in mind glutamate is excitatory.

Glutamate Animation Scene02 NMDA Activation 072312

3. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've been taking this for a few months: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/sour...m-l-threonate-667-mg-180-caps?otherSize=SN546

I can not say if it has made a difference or not. I'm inclined to say that it may have helped a bit, but like most treatments for tinnitus, people respond differently to the same treatment. I will say that I do not have the symptoms of very loose stool or diarrhea that regular magnesium causes. I almost quit magnesium after using the regular type. I would say this is a worth a shot to see if it helps. Many people have reported improvements with tinnitus symptoms when taking magnesium.

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Unfortunately, my T increased later in the day but that could be due to other reasons. T can be really tricky and hard to figure out.