Man I Wish This Would Go Away...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JD3, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JD3

JD3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      I’m not sure why I waited so long to introduce myself here but after a year and a half of this high-pitched buzzing in my head I’ve finally come to realize this may never go away.

My tinnitus started in July of 2014 and it just came out of the blue. I remember the beginning so well because it seemed to start with the onset of neck and back pain. As a fairly regular cyclist and runner (I used to race triathlons) reaching middle age and never having had good flexibility, it didn’t take much for me to hurt my back and/or neck and I remember one bike ride, while on vacation, where I turned my head in just a way that a shooting pain took over one side of my back. Over the next couple of days my back felt better but the pain seemed to move into my neck. Riding a bike for a long time can be tough on your neck, it’s just the position you’re in. It’s around here that the ringing began. After that ride I stopped exercising for a while and went to a chiropractor because my neck pain was not going away. The ringing was off and on too - it would bother me for a day or two, then no problems for a day or two. My chiro thought the ringing in my ears was being caused by the spasms I was having in my neck. After a couple months, the neck pain and headaches were finally gone, but the ringing wasn’t. I went to my regular doctor, who sent me to an ENT. My hearing and ears were fine, there was no explanation. I went to a sports doc that my chiro recommended. He ordered me an MRI – there was nothing structurally wrong with me, and the ringing continued in the same sporadic nature. That winter I started acupuncture. While I liked the acupuncture for how it helped me with my stress, my tinnitus was not getting better and I eventually gave up on it.

For all of 2015, I just dealt with it. I started to think that maybe this was stress. My work is stressful (whose isn’t?) and at certain times it was certainly more stressful than others. It was those times I kinda think that maybe the tinnitus was the worst but I certainly could not establish a direct link.

I was back in my primary docs office summer of 2015, no change to my tinnitus, and she had no other real solutions to offer. I got a night guard from my dentist, she said I was grinding my teeth, maybe that would help? Nope.

So now here I am, January of 2016, and I can say that this has now gotten worse. It used to be an on again/off again thing. Now it’s constant. The times when it’s louder are becoming more frequent. The correlation with stress does not seem to be bearing out – I actually feel so much more mellow about work (and most things – it’s something I’ve been working on) and here I am with this, this, arghhhhh!!!

My only theory: Music/tv on my headphones. As someone who has run a ton, both indoors and outdoors, and ridden a bike a lot indoors – I’ve almost always had music on while doing this. Now I’ve never blasted it, but I can’t say I’ve had it on low either. A treadmill makes noise, an indoor bike trainer makes noise. When watching TV you want to hear what they’re saying, so it’s reasonable to say there’s always been some volume. I also listen to music when I walk to and from work (15 minutes each way). Again, the volume is moderate. I’m not really exposed to any other loud noises and I rarely go to rock concerts anymore. Oh, just remembered, I had vertigo 7 years ago that I believe came from a middle ear infection. It lasted about 10 weeks and I’ve never had a relapse – but no roller coasters or amusement park rides for me.

So I’m not sure where to go now. I’m 44 years old, father of 3, happily married, employed and in good health. I’m not overweight, I exercise fairly regularly, eat OK, drink a couple times a week but rarely anything more than a few at once. I’d love to hear any advice you all have.

Thanks for reading.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome @JD3 to the forum. T can be caused by many possible causes. It may be hard to pin down to one thing for some people, like in my case. I just woke up one night with his ultra high pitch dog whistle blasting at the top of its lung while I never had any hearing or ringing problem symptoms before. To this day, I still don' know for sure what caused mine. And mine didn't go away nor fade either. A few years back my T & hyperacusis turned me into a mess. However now I do live a normal life travelling quite often and still working full time. So good life is possible even if T stays. Have you done any masking on yours? How about any supplements?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JD3

JD3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Thanks for the reply Billie. I've never done any masking. The only supplement I've taken is melatonin because sleep has been really tough lately. I fall asleep without issue but have had issues waking up a few hours later with my T screaming at me.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      When T is new and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking ASAP so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. Here are some suggestions:
      1) at bed time, you can try a sound machine or sound pillow
      2) on the go, you can try an ipad loaded with nature sounds or your favorite music (via itune), or use a modern smart phone.
      3) If you have computer speakers, consider these also

TT’s own excellent masking sounds:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

If you need more masking sounds, here is free ‘aire freshener’:
      http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

Rain sounds are soothing indeed. You can mix your own rain sounds with this rain generator:
      http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

Search youtube with ‘masking sounds’ and you will also get lots of different nature sounds, such as rain, waves, waterfalls, running brooks, insect sounds, even shower & faucet etc.

And if you need DIY notched Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN):
      http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/acoustic-cr-neuromodulation
      http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

Members here often recommend some good supplements, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc., and reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc. For sleep, instead of sleep meds from the doctor, you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:
      http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

5. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Hey buddy,

I am in the same boat as you - but I'm 28 years old. I can't really pinpoint a direct a single cause of my tinnitus. I think maybe anxiety and maybe listening to headphones at the gym/at work.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JD3

JD3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Parrot - It can be anything I guess. I would change my behavior and/or lifestyle to make it go away but what the hell am I changing?!

Gun to head I'd say it's anxiety and sleep. I'm trying reduce the former and increase the latter. You're still a young guy and you've only just started with yours. From what I've read around here it could and probably will go away so stay positive and try to relax.

I think there's a lot of great info on here, but sadly every time I start surfing around and reading my T. flares up!