Masking

Discussion in 'Support' started by DebInAustralia, Feb 11, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      me again,

guys, would you mind explaining to me what you do to mask your t as I haven't bothered till now.

do many of you mask your t during the day? if so, how do you achieve this?

thanks

2. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I mask my T during the day with music. I also like to be in the kitchen because our fridge keeps noise that masks my T very well :) When I go to bed I put the radio on and some white noise from my phone.

3. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      music doesn't mask my noise.
      fridge doesn't mask it either but it does help
      tv doesn't mask it either grrr!!!!

4. ThatKypieGuy

ThatKypieGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Pink noise at night does the trick for me but if I'm at home during the day I usually stay out of silent rooms and in those closest to road sides. Music doesn't work for me as can hear the T in the silent breaks which is frustrating. Although this is with headphones. Perhaps playing instrumental music over speakers will ease focus and concentration.

5. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Hi Debbie in Aus .. White noise generators work very well .. Ive had several over the years.. They emit a very calming white noise .. I found them very beneficial in the early days of my tinnitus.. Your audiologist will supply them or you can buy them from various companys.. A sound machine playing wind .. Bird song or running water at night through an under pillow speaker is also excellent.. Regards. Micky

6. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      @thatkypie: ive just downloaded white, pink, blue noise. the white seems to mask it better, but I prefer the sound of pink noise. I will have a play with it and hope I don't go mad in the process..

@Micky: I prefer white noise. seems to mask the t better. I had hoped that I didn't need to use maskers, but I am becoming very irritated so I think I need to start. I am really looking forward to seeing the audiologist. I hope its not a wasted appointment. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sound machine?

7. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Hey Debbie if you google tinnitus bed side sound machine you should see various types of them ..the one i used was called Oasis. .. This is still available to purchase.. But make sure you buy it with an under pillow speaker as that's usually an extra .. I actually wore mine out .. I flogged it to death ..strangely enough i never purchased another but was invaluable in the early days ..good luck Debbie.. Micky

8. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      I kinda mask it during the day with music. I spend a decent amount of time on my laptop,so I'll just use a playlist from youtube as I sit here. at night,I use the TV and a humidifier that gives me some decent white noise background sound. when I'm at work,though,no masking I can do,so I have to deal with it head-on then.

9. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13

Thankyou Mikey for your reply. I really appreciate it.

what does yours sound like?

10. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @DebInAustralia What sort of noise is yours? Just need to find the right kind of sound to mask it, broadband noises are good (white/pink noise etc) but you might prefer something that's around the frequency you hear, can you identify the pitch of your T at all?

11. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014

mine fluctuated between the low hiss sound to the always wonderful "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound.

12. The_Chum_12
      Inspired

The_Chum_12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Up until last night. I wouldn't mask my T at all, but, due to a spike of my own doing yesterday, I was forced to either listen to it all night or mask it. I've tried white noise machines, but the sound is too, for lack of a better word, "dry" for me, so I decided to mask my T with running water sounds. I went on youtube and played a 10 hour long rushing water video.

Here is the link.
      MOUNTAIN STREAM Nature Sounds (10 Hours)...
      You can try it if you like, and, if you do, I hope it helps.

It helped a good bit, but I feel like I let the higher volume T win and let it make a home in my head instead of letting my mind react to it like it normally would to possibly adjust and reduce the volume. I hope that I don't have to rely on masking now since my T was so mild, but, until/if this spike resides, I probably will continue to mask along with lots of other T sufferers.

• Like Like x 1
    13. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      @Steve H: constant shhhhhhhh head noise, high pitched ringing/hissing right ear, and intermittent high pitched tone in right and left ear.

14. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      @Mikey: your t sounds positively delightful :(

15. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      @the_chum12: yes I like the sound of water. the only place I cant hear my t is in the shower...so you can imagine I have very long showers :)

• Like Like x 1
    16. DebInAustralia

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      @Steve H: re my pitch. wouldn't have a clue sorry. its not a tone I hear its more of an electrical sound I think???

17. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I got me some polo speakers and listen to the rain thunderstorms any natural sounds

18. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      pillowspeakers

19. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      but also works for me is plugging in some classical music and reading a book

20. Tamar
      Curious

Tamar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Mine is so high pitched that I can't find any white noise, water sounds or music to mask it. I was surprised that the audiologist I saw at the famous House clinic couldn't help me match my pitch. Apparently their machines only go up to 8000....? I'm going back another day in hopes of finding out my exact tinnitus level because I've seen people talk about audio notched music and I'd like to try it. Meanwhile, I just live with this oppressive noise. It's definitively been worse the lately and I can't quite identify the stressors. I've had days where it was tolerable but like the rest of you I'm bummed. Since I apparently have fairly significant hearing loss, I'm willing to try hearing aids that create white noise, if the sound will actually mask this piercing high pitched shrieking. The thought of hearing aids makes me feel old!

21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Debin,
      I like this white noise app you can by for your iPhone. Called White Noise, by tmsoft.com. Has noises of all kinds: nature sounds, pink and white noise (and blue and brown and more), everyday sounds like fans and cars, peaceful sounds like wind chimes. You can make your own mixes and layer multiple sounds together. Reason I love it is that I find my ears like different noises at different times. I imagine its due to frequencies, something @SteveH knows a lot about.

22. Tamar
      Curious

Tamar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have a pretty good program on my ipad with all those options called relax m hd. I will keep trying. Perhaps it will help when my volume is down ever so slightly. It helps to know you are all out there and we're in this together ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @DebInAustralia Try this sound file, it works well for me on high frequency T. I can modify bits of it fairly easily too if there are parts you like / dislike.

Listen like you would any masking stuff, at a level where you can just make out your T. So that you can train yourself to mentally tune the tinnitus out.

Attached Files:

24. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi deb,
      I have an app called "sleep pillow" - has about 50 sounds on it, different type of fans, nature sounds, white noise, music etc.
      high pitched wind chimes are my favorite. We'll actually not my favourite - my ears
      Favourite ;)

25. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      I also have a very high pitched noise and I've tried nature sounds, music,etc. Everything I play my pitch seems to find its way above my music or sounds. I like running water and rain but can't seem to get away from it completely. My T doesn't like metal chimes or pretty much anything with a high pitched sound. I need to listen to something in the evenings after 5p or so because my T gets out of control. Will I ever habituate to this as well? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

26. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Deb
      Hearing aids with white noise generators (targeted to my t)

Mark

27. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Tamar
      I was talking with another individual that found some exceptional hearing aids with white noise generators; they are a new product from Siemens corporation and I think they have a higher frequency range then mine do (although I don't know enough about them to say if they could mask 8k).

Anyways, here's the link: http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/hearing-loss/tinnitus/solutions/solutions.html

Might be worth looking into.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Linda
      Hearing aids with white noise generators is the only way I got mine under control. I got mine from Nebraska Hearing Instruments -- they are great. @Tamar said hers T was so high pitched she couldn't find anything to mask it; however, I heard Siemens has some new products. Might be worth looking into.

http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/hearing-loss/tinnitus/solutions/solutions.html

Mark

29. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Mark,

Thanks I'll also check in with my audiologist and see if she knows anything about the hearing aids with white noise and Siemens. I'm very sensitive to white noise. I assume there is all variety of sounds that are categorized as white noise. Can I also ask you how you are adapting to your T? I know it takes time to habituate and patience.

30. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Tamar, not sure if you tried the aids yet?