Maybe This Is a Key to Habituation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I try to read the success stories on here. One of them was about a girls father. I will link it. She said she had tinnitus and told her dad and he said he had had SEVERE tinnitus for years and is the happiest person that she knew.

She said he went to a doctor and did TRT and she taught him how to focus on other sounds. Like if there is a dog barking you can't hear or hear as much the ringing if you are focusing on the barking.

“My psychologist taught me what hearing is. And how to focus on other things. For example being focused on T, then I went outside and listened to the other sounds.. Because I understood that we hear on different levels. I went outside and heard a dog barking in the distance, birds singing, the sound of rain….From that moment when talking to the psychologist I understood that I can oust my T. I felt better immediately and started to live again.”

So I have noticed this too. I can't really focus on 2 sounds at once. Maybe this is the key to habituation and maybe after practicing and practicing this our brains just do this naturally.

I was never told this by ANYONE. Was anyone told this in TRT?

I just know and I've said this before that I have met many people in my T journey that have it that either it never bothered them before or they didn't even KNOW they had it until I asked about it. There could be a great number of people that habituated as kids since a lot of kids get really bad ear infections. I don't know just a thought.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/living-a-happy-life-with-severe-tinnitus.15898/#post-187771

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      You are 100% correct Marie when I get my brain focused on other things the T goes away until I focus on it again. Its almost like a compulsive disorder where when are brain is not engaged in something we listen for our T. I think most people who habituate get use to the sound and over time dont really pay attention to it and hear it much less often. Oh there is that T sound again but im going to really pay attention to this movie, project or what ever and it goes in the back ground again !!!!! Sounds like your figuring out how to get better and go on and enjoy your life. Who knows after we completely habituate maybe it will leave altogether .....First few monthes were tough for me but doing better all the time and sounds like you are too. God bless !!!!

3. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      That is easy to say went you don't have very severe tinnitus, very reactive and hyperacusiss,like me, the noise is so big in my ears and my head nothing can masked .

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I totally understand but if you read the story it is about someone that has very severe T. Also billie on here had hyperacusis and severe T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think it is so much more helpful to actually have a tactic I can use instead of just sitting here waiting to get used to it. I did TRT and they never even told me about this (when you hear the ring to focus on another sound). I know it probably sounds like I should know that but I didn't. :) :)

6. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Penate have you tried xanax zoloft or any of these type drugs for they cetainly helped me along with hypnotism, physcotherapy, accupuncture, tai chi and one hour at the gym 5 days a week and several other things. I have very loud T that the only thing that will mask it is when I shower. I do not have hypercusis and no it can be very irritating and hope you can get some relief..

7. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      Thanks William for the advice but yeah sadly I'm trying everything, even rTMS and nothing, right now I'm on clonazepan , 10 months, but I'm going to taper off soon, is no good in the long run, I need something for sleep have to be strong enough to nock me out but the noise is biggest than every medication, the only thing is being bigger and keep me up is my kids and my family.

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well, to be fair, you don't actually know their T is severe, and neither do they.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I think mine is moderate or severe but then i wonder if i am right...it depends on where i am ...... right now i am in india and noise is always there keeps my brain distracted....cant focus on T in India in daytime, i am suffering much less here in india only on the night i notice it ....in the UK its there most of the time..and my H got better as if its almost as if its not present.........i will be back in UK in a weeks time where it will increase in severity due yo lack of enough background noice and not looking forword to it.