MC Rider with Worsening Tinnitus, Don't Know Why?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bjrossi, Sep 11, 2017.

1. bjrossi

bjrossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Motorcycle
      Hi everyone!

I'm 30y/o, getting ringing ears every time I go riding motorcycle on the motorway, and the tinnitus stays and get louder every time!! :-(
      I do not understand why??

I've always used SNR 36 dB plugs (Moldex PuraFit), I've also tried 3M 1100 (SNR 37 dB).
      I also tried to have custom silicone earplugs made at an audiologist, with an SNR of 22 dB, but I don't like nor trust them them because they seem a lot louder than foam.

I have a well fitting helmet. My exhausts are stock and not noisy.
      I have a faired touring bike, and an enduro bike with no fairing. Same effect on both.
      I don't drive faster than about 70-80mph, which is the speed limit here.

I don't think the earplugs are too small. I insert the earplugs all the way in as far as they can go, and it's a bit of a fiddle to remove them afterwards.

After all this, I'm not sure what the cause is and what the solution is....

Are my ears much more sensitive than the norm? Is it wind noise, even after all the attenuation, or is it some kind of sensitivity to vibration?

If I can't stop it worsening, I'll have to stop riding :-(

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @bjrossi, welcome.

There is an old joke:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
      Doctor: "Then stop doing that"

I would curtail your motorcycle riding until you figure this out. I would consider different earplugs, and talk to a doctor for advice.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Hehe sometimes the pain is worth it .. :p .. I rather would die then give up my motorbikes

4. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      Either stop riding for a while, or stay on the forum. Remember that sound vibrates and might get to your ear thru bone conduction. I take it you been riding for some time, next time T could stay. Stop for a while and see if T ceases completely.

Take care!

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Hearing loss and/or noise exposure is only one of many possible causes to trigger or aggravate existing tinnitus. This can include but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc., etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. See if you can find any other cause(s) for the spikes. If it is treatable, all the better. Good luck. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    6. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Hey fellow riders, nice to see a few here :) i got my T from a loud rave about a month ago.. i ride an XJR 400 and use some earplugs . So far my T isn't getting louder so i hope I'm all good, and like @Wojtek Kalka Said, it is hard to give up motorcycles.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't ride more than an hour or two in a day, and I always wear earplugs. When I get spikes it seems to have as much to do with neck muscle stress, as with noise exposure (my bike is not very loud, stock Enfield 500 -- but eventually I will get a nearly silent Zero electric bike).

8. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      With motorcycles its not so much the engine noise that's the issue. Its the wind buffeting through your helmet at higher speeds which reaches well past 85 DB.

I remember riding on freeways and express ways pre-tinnitus with no ear plugs, I always had fairly loud bikes but they were nothing compared to the wind noise.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      right, I am well aware but I ride on country roads (often dirt) and rarely exceed 60mph (30-50 much more commonly), so wind noise is less of a concern. Also, because wind noise tends to be higher pitched than engine buzz, it can be more effectively attenuated with earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T reacts to vibration as much or even more than noise. My guess is that yours is doing the same. I ended up selling my bike. =(

11. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know

I have T for 1 year and 3 Months. Two months ago i bought Ducati Monster 796 ABS and am riding quite often. I generally never go beyond 65 mp/h, however i ALWAYS put my Howard Leight MAX 34 DB NRR (Orange ones, with larger outter side). On top of that, i wear Schuberth S2 Sport which they rate as 84db "in-helmet" noise raiting that they register in wind tunnel with 65 mp/h wind speed. So if i take that and you know, cut at least 30 DB with earplugs - i am golden and have no issues listening to traffic and my T because there is nothing to mask it during the ride.

Only tho g i would like to mention is that if i get wind from the side, i try to "tuck on" and hug tank to get more aerodynamics, otherwise buffering from wind creates vibrations and my whole head feels like it is in shaker.

What kills motorcyclysts hearing is not an exhaust, but wind noise.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Our ears have been compromised. What a healthy person would not even notice, can cause bad spikes (that can end up being permanent).

13. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      I wanted to add: just catched a spike in my right ear. Every now and then i get one, interrestigly enough during the day its one of these few secods "eeeee" and goes back however, if it is at night - it can last a bit.

P.S.

Has not been riding for a few weeks now, not sure it can be related to riding.