Medication Induced Pulsatile Tinnitus? Can It Be Reversible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ElaineC, Nov 7, 2019.

1. ElaineC

ElaineC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Beta blockers/Flecainide
      Hello! I was diagnosed with bigeminal PVCs back in July. The cardiologist put me on beta blockers (Metoprolol) and Flecainide to regulate my heart. Aside from feeling like a zombie who slept all afternoon and couldn't remember my own name, I developed a whooshing sound in my left ear that corresponded to my heartbeat. After some research, I've concluded it's pulsatile tinnitus, though I'm still working my way through the system for a definitive diagnosis. Had a CT angiogram, which showed no abnormalities or blockages, and I'm trying to get in to see an ENT.

In the meantime, I have stopped taking the meds and have scheduled an ablation for the irregular heartbeat.

My question to all of you is this: Can the pulsatile tinnitus be reversed if it was caused by the meds? I stopped taking the meds on 10/10 and my ear is still thumping away.

2. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      It may be coincidence rather than causation. It could have a separate cause.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ElaineC

ElaineC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Beta blockers/Flecainide
      That seems to be what my doctors think, as their response is to look at me and go "huh." I have many drug sensitivities, which have caused all sorts of weird symptoms, so that was my first conclusion. I've never experienced anything like this, though!

4. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Most of the time PT is of vascular origin. For that reason, it seems likely, but not impossible that it was caused by medication. I think it warrants a separate evalution. It should never be ignored, as it sometimes can indicate a more serious issue.

http://neuroangio.org/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-pulsatile-tinnitus/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...d-to-do-to-get-answers-and-a-diagnosis.36645/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ElaineC

ElaineC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Beta blockers/Flecainide
      Update: Managed to get an appt with the ENT and found that I have something whacky going on with a branch of my exterior carotid artery! So relieved that there is an answer and a fix! Thanks for listening!!!

6. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      This is why PT should never be ignored. There is ALMOST ALWAYS a vascular cause, and most of the time it can be fixed. Next on your list is to find a very good neuro-interventional radiologist that can fix this with minimally invasive surgery, if it needs to be fixed at all. Go to the best one that you can. This isn't the type of work for just anyone. A good one can have you recovered in less than a week. A bad one can cause a stroke or worse problems.