Melatonin (Regular Release) Experiment for People with Fluctuating Morning Tinnitus Loudness

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jun 30, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      The previous experiment I talked about trying extended release melatonin at the same time each night for a week and see if that affected your tinnitus. After thinking about it, I have a new experiment to try. Of course I must issue a disclaimer that you should ask a pharmacist or doctor to see if it is okay for you to do. Keep in mind also that melatonin could interact with medications.

The experiment I am thinking about now is taking .75mg regular release melatonin at 9 p.m. each night. Why 9 p.m.? Well after looking at a chart for a circadian rhythm it shows melatonin starting to secrete at 21:00 which is 9 p.m.

1200px-Biological_clock_human.svg.png

I wonder if it is possible the fluctuating tinnitus is due to erratic circadian rhythms and also wondering if starting melatonin at 9 p.m. will sync the body. Some people were suggesting that extended release melatonin was giving them weird dreams and it was an amount that was more than usual. With a one time dose and a lower amount, I am thinking people will have less effects. If you do try melatonin, you may feel it kick in fairly quickly, especially if you take the sublingual kind. If you try this and it works or does not, please report back and share your findings. I would say don't report back until 4 days after trying it. As far as doing this long term, I have no idea how safe this would be and you might want to ask a knowledgeable pharmacist or doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I thought of a new expiriment. Notice the following chart (The time at the bottom is military time. For example 24=midnight, 23=11pm, etc):

peaks.jpg

Source: https://www.benbest.com/nutrceut/melatonin.html

As you can see melatonin peaks at 2 a.m. If melatonin is taken at 9 p.m. it will work but then you have the possibility of it spiking and then going down and then going up at 2 a.m. so you would have two peaks. It is my unscientific opinion that this could change hormones up and down and thrown the body out of sync - I could be wrong and have been on several of my thoughts about tinnitus. At any rate, the expiriment is to take melatonin around 2 a.m. Hopefully this way, you could sync the circadian rhythm up every night in case it goes wrong. This way, there is one peak (hopefully if the circadian rhythm of the person is normal) and that hormones could be changed at the right time every night. Napping during the day would probably not be a good idea though. Also, not eating after 8 p.m. might help too. Just a thought.

Note: I highly doubt this would work with everybody if it does work at all, and also that prescription medications or supplements could alter things.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1