Lisinopril Causing or Making Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlover, Jul 16, 2013.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, Lisinopril. You know I always thought breaking my nose badly caused my tinnitus but around the same time (I think, as it's 25 years ago) I started 10mg Lisinopril every other day (should take it every day but I hate drugs)

If you look at the side effect sheet there's no mention of tinnitus. BUT if you google Lisinopril then you find lots of anecdotal evidence. Mind you I do have slight to moderate high frequency hearing loss so it's all a mish mash.

What's your story re Lisinopril? Ever come off? I went on it as beta blockers and calcium antagonists weren't being effective enough so ace inhibitors are/was (?) the only other choice for high blood pressure.

All the best, Pete

PS.
      http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/lisinopril/tinnitus
      344 out of 80000+ people got tinnitus from this study

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @carlover,

Thanks for the message! It's somehow reassuring to know that I'm not crazy, and that it is possible for a blood pressure drug to cause tinnitus. Back when the severe tinnitus first started, I asked my doctors about it, but they did not think (at the time) that Lisinopril could have caused my tinnitus, and my other symptoms.

However, I was switched to a beta blocker (first propranolol, then Toprol XL). Both of those drugs were hard on my system, and I finally got myself off them, with the help of an internist. He prescribed a diuretic for me (hydrochlorothiazide). and I gradually weaned myself off the beta blocker, and then off the diuretic.

After many months of struggle with severe tinnitus, plus crazy, up-and-down blood pressure, plus adrenal fatigue, I have finally gotten my blood pressure under control --- naturally, without any drugs! I'm taking some supplements, including magnesium, fish oil, vitamins, COQ10, and moringa oliefera. I also try to exercise every day and watch my diet. For whatever reason, my blood pressure is very good. When I took it this afternoon, it was 115/70! Now, I'm not advocating that everyone should get off blood pressure drugs if they need them. In my case, I was able to do so, but it took many months to get to this point.

I still have tinnitus, but it has calmed down quite a bit, compared to what it was at first.

How is your tinnitus? Has yours improved any since it first began? I'd like to hear more of your story, too.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Karen your B/P is brilliant. Sadly I have tried weaning off them with lots of supplements but it creeps up.

I had learnt to easily live with tinnitus until a catarrh infection leading to a prolonged ear infection 3 years ago took it up to crazy volumes with incredible pressure in my ear where I couldn't lie down. It lead to 3 days and nights walking the streets trying to get away from the noise (which you can't) I was so frightened wondering how I'd deal with it.

3 years later it's a battle helped so much by hearing aids.

4. buzzinfolsom

buzzinfolsom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @carlover It looks like I got tinnitus from Lisinopril as well. I am off it for now almost a month but the tinnitus still continues.

The doctor does not think my tinnitus started because of the Lisinopril. My blood pressure was around 135/87 and the doc wanted me to take this poison.

How long does it take for the poison to get out of the system?