Metformin — Experience Taking It? Is It Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dgray, Jan 21, 2018.

1. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Hi, I would like to know if anyone here has experience with taking this drug. My sugar is a little bit high when fasting and the doctor has recommended taking this drug. I am very jaded when it comes to doctors and what they recommend due to this ringing that nobody has fixed with the exception of my faith in the Lord and just dealing with it.

Please let me know if anyone here takes Metformin and if it helped their sugar numbers and not make their tinnitus worse. Thank -you - douglas

2. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Man brother I was on it for 2 MO and had to stop it made me feel like I had the flu all the time and raised my anxiety way up ! My legs and hands was weak. So I upped my game and started eating clean and 4x a week on the tread mill . I'm doing so much better . They had me on 1000 mg to start maybe to high but any way I took myself off it . Good luck . CURLY

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wish I had a metformin prescription. It does NOT appear on
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

Over the past 20 years, fewer than 500 people reported tinnitus as a side effect for metformin to the FDA
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/metformin/tinnitus/

At the same time you get reports like
      https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-promises-to-extend-life-for-a-nickel-a-pop/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melani...rug-found-to-slow-aging-boost-cancer-recovery

Before I got T, I had been seriously considering eating sugar before a blood test to get my doctor to prescribe metformin to me...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Curly, thank you so much man. I am not even going to start taking it. I have lost 45 lbs but have another 70 lbs to lose. I will just continue watching what I eat. My fasting sugar is 115 - 125. Just want to lower it. My ringing is bad and I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet. I thought sugar was the cause for both. We will see once I get the weight off 100%. Thank-you again for responding to me. I'd like to hear more about your clean eating diet maybe via PM. - douglas

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Ototoxicity is histologically proven for only a few substances, e. g. aminoglycosides. In most cases, it is only a side effect that is suspected on the basis of statistical surveys...

6. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      What up DGray keep up the good work brother! I am eating under 250 carbs a day, no sugar , pop , ECT. Drinking 8 glasses of water cut the red meat down big time . Eating turkey burgers tons of chicken and fruits and vegetables. And not eating anything big after 7pm . I'll have a cheese stick or fruit after 7pm if I feel like I'm a little empty after working out . My ringing started when I was in the USMC 23 yrs ago . I was just eating all the wrong stuff that's why they put me on the metformin I'm pre diabetic so hopefully I can reverse my sugar issue. Doctor's are quick to give people meds so just be careful... CURLY

7. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      They say metformin is anti ototoxic .

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill, you have red it helps the ringing diminish
      Curly: Thank-you for your service for our Country. I don't think our soldiers get enough thanks as it is. The diet is not easy but a necessity.

• Like Like x 1
    9. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Thank you I really appreciate your kind words friend ! CURLY

10. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019