Metronidazole Caused My Tinnitus: I Now Have Constant Shushing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pamela Rayner, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Pamela Rayner

Pamela Rayner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Taking Metronidazoli
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe medication
      I have just completed a weeks 3 times a day course of Metronidazole tablets and have a constant shushing which I have discovered could be a form of tinnitus. Has anyone else experienced this with this medication...?

2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. RayX

RayX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Metronidazol
      Hi Pamela,

I did a 10 day 3x500mg course of Metronidazole. Unfortunately the medication had no positive effect, just side effects. My tinnitus spiked through the roof. It has been 2.5 months now and there were a couple of good days but most of the time it's been very loud. I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems to have a noticeable effect.

Hope you have better results.

Ray

4. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @RayX

I saw your post and was just wondering how you are doing? I only took one dose of this and I stopped. I'm hoping that things will settle back down soon. Please let me know how things came out for you.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

5. RayX

RayX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Metronidazol
      Hi Louie,

It's been 3,5 months since the metronidazol caused the extreme tinnitus. I regret to say that things have only become very slightly better. The inner ear pressure is a little less for example. But the tinnitus is still very very loud, I hear multiple different sounds. I'm also still very tired. It affects my life a lot.

Hope you're doing better.

Ray

6. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unfortunately for me, I took Metronidazole in November for a week for a water works issue (which it sorted) but it spiked my tinnitus and 2 months on is still a lot worse than it used to be :-(

7. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Speaking of Metronidazole, could anybody provide some insight on Sulfamethoxazole antibiotic?

I was prescribed that for prostatitis which is giving me a hard time (as if my ears were not enough).

Does it fall on the same class of antibiotics as Metronidazole? Or the other -azole drugs such as antimycotics?

I dare not to touch it. I got this hell from Fluconazole.

Is Sulfamethoxazole linked with those drugs? Is it ototoxic?