Michael J. Fox

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I'll tell ya, if I was a millionaire, I would dedicate my life to make tinnitus a world wide priority like Michael J. Fox did for Parkinson's.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      George Soros apparently has it. He has other priorities though. Maybe they helps him sublimate his anger by spreading it round.

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      unfortunately you would not be taken seriously. When you have everyone talking about how you can achieve habituation and get your life back in full, this kind of turns tinnitus into a non issue.

The day that tinnitus can be accurately and objectively measured is the day that it will be taken seriously. Until then, it's all the same condition, and if one person can overcome it then why can't the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. John G

John G Member

I friggin hate that word habituate with a passion

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Yes but no one could stop the fact that you are very wealthy and having lots of money means having lots of power to hire scientists to do HARD research. You could hire filmmakers to make documentaries about T and interview different sufferers to show that is not the same intensity for everyone. I can understand habituation for mild T. When I say mild, I mean the kind that simply vanishes under the noise of a fan, heater, or any other standard background noise but for those of us that have T that is easily dominant over normal sounds, yes habituation is bull shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. John G

John G Member

In the battlefield. If one my guys was holding his ears screaming in pain from a close explosion. I am going to yell at him "calm down....you can habituate this ! "

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I was doing X-ray for a person with Parkinson's the other day and let me tell you, the suffering of those people make any cancer walk in the park.
      Sharp mind trapped in that out of control body, years of suffering, constant deterioration... no end in sight!
      Just like tinnitus!

8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      As evil as tinnitus is, compared to some conditions, we really are the lucky ones. One of my students has Friedreich's Ataxia, a condition similar to ALS which slowly paralyses you and robs you of your muscle control. She has had it since the age of nine and yet she is one of the most positive people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She completely humbles me and everyone around her because her struggle is unbelievable, yet she does everything with a smile on her face and an incredible sense of humour.

Every time I teach her I can't help but reflect and see my own positives compared to her situation. I go away every time in awe of how she handles herself. She never let any of her goals slip away and even though her hands are now beginning to show bigger tremors (she's been in a wheel chair since she was a kid), she still pursues the guitar for as long as she can, she paints and she has a degree in film and writes screenplays professionally. She is still in her early 20's and has achieved more than a lot of abled bodied people.

The reason for this post is not to shame tinnitus sufferers (tinnitus does ruin lives make no mistake) but to highlight a story of how incredible we can be if we get our head in the right place. It is hard to deal with but life is hard for many people without T, we just don't get to see it in many cases. We have to pick ourselves up and carry on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1