Microsuction Spike, Retracted Eardrum

Discussion in 'Support' started by India956, Oct 23, 2017.

1. India956

India956 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi guys, newbie here!

So I've had mild tinnitus for just under two months caused by an ear infection (both ears). Until recently it's been mild and has been easy to ignore, however I had an appointment with an audiologist one week ago and they said that the infection is gone, however there's a build up of wax that's pressing on my left eardrum and causing the ear drum to retract, so he microsuctioned it out. I'd been using olive oil drops prior to this and the microsuction experience was absolutely fine, the wax came out instantly and the noise wasn't that loud. He said that the eardrum will take a few weeks to go back to normal.

The first few days after the appointment my T was much quieter and I was feeling really good, however three days ago on Friday I suddenly started getting this loud, bassy tone in the ear that had been suctioned. It's soooo much louder and harder to ignore than the tone I'm used to, my T is still at it's normal level in my right ear but I'm really worried about the left as it's so loud and is disturbing my sleep

My question is does anyone know if the microsuction could have caused the spike if there was a several day delay? I'm not sure if it's that or just the ear drum humming loudly because it's not used to being able to vibrate and will return to normal. I'm trying not to freak out but it's easier said than done, I'm just so worried it's permanent!

I should also mention that I've had hearing tests done (before the spike) and there's no hearing damage or acoustic trauma, so I just got unlucky and got T from the infection

2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So sorry about this. There are a few accounts of suction making tinnitus worse temporarily or permanently. But it would seem odd that there was a three day delay.

Was it a middle or outer ear infection that you had?