MIG Broke Sound Barrier While I Wasn't Wearing Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by iAzra, Sep 20, 2019.

1. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Military plane had exercise above my city during which they broke a sound barrier and that resulted in a sonic boom that hit the ground.

I felt the "explosion" in ears/head and feel my eardrums vibrated hard in both ears. I haven't had that sensation since forever since I have been wearing ear protection outside the house since 2012. But today I didn't have it.

Now my ears hurt, "burn" and I feel pressure and not hear clerly as I hear otherwise. I am profoundly scared that this will worsen my hyperacusis and/or tinnitus.

How to deal with this? Anyone had the experience? Please help.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      That's terrible. Go to the doctor and try and get some steroids.

Good luck to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You think I need steroids? :(

I'd like to skip them due to some other things going on atm.

In past, I took them even for less but now I am aware of their effects on other things..

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the standard of care for noise injuries. You have just a little time, the haircells in your cochlea may just be clinging on to dear life right now and steroids can stop them from fully dying. The sooner you try them out the better.

Call an ENT now and ask if you can get a steroid injection into your eardrum, that way you won't have the other side effects of the steroids you'd have taking them orally.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well no, that is not an option for me atm. Do you do shots after every noise accident?

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have before. It's ok, when they give you the shot in the ear, it doesn't get into your blood stream, just your cochlea. Are you saying that the ENT doesn't offer those injections?

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I remember when I called after a noise trauma and they told me the first available appointment was after one month...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      because they are TOTAL ASSHOLES that won't re-prioritize your case over others that aren't as urgent like basic hearing tests etc.

please realize that this world that we inhabit is full of complete uncaring idiots that cannot logically process any real situation. they are just smart enough to do their jobs and bath and cloth themselves. just look at movies today, they are garbage for the mind. politics is even worse. people are so stupid that they won't even change their minds when presented with facts that go against what they believe. it is truly astounding.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I saw my doctor in May of 2019. My first appointment with a hearing doc is Feb 2020.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burning went away so did the pain. I am a bit worried since I know that it takes about a week for cells to see how did it affect them. I took NAC and Mg. I still have some sensibility and a bit of pressure feeling.

Could my tensor tympani be damaged by this sudden pressure which caused my drums to move in this manner? Since I always wear earplugs, except at home, I guess my tensor tympani is not used to any sudden sound or louder sound above 70 dB for years now.. maybe @Yashin have some thoughts about this?

My T spiked but I think that is "normal" for the situation.. My H is somewhat worse but I am not sure is it because of my ears or because I feel fearsome and like I have been attacked so I am timid and mousey about every sound.

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How are you doing now? Two Typhoon jets passed over our path in the UK and the sonic boom was so loud it woke me up and many people called emergency services as it sounded like a bomb exploding. 3 days later my T had spiked through the roof. Did things settle down for you? I hope mine does. I assume it was caused by the sonic boom but don't know what decibel level was, but the house shook. I guess it won't have done my ears much good. Just trying not to get too anxious.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you had your windows closed you should be fine.

I have recovered to a point. I do think my tinnitus is a bit louder but there are so many things going on it is hard to tell what's causing it.

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A sonic boom at ground level is usually about 110db in US; other countries may have looser regulations, but I would not be concerned at this point.

No it's not; standard of care has a specific meaning; please explain how it applies here

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00016489.2017.1297899
      I have a couple similar "little to no effect on AT cases" studies on intertympsnic injections, too; will try to remember to dig up when I'm not on a mobile device.

We can find twenty studies with twenty slightly different results and I DO think steroids can have utility -- is just poorly understood, and so nothing like "equivocal". This might be a standard of care in some hospitals, but it's certainly not something they do in the majority of them, so insinuating it is some normal conventional treatment is silly when clinicians can't even agree if there is a consistent effect.

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Then why is that what they do?

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

This is performed in a tiny minority of hospitals who have someone presenting with noise trauma

Please explain to me what standard of care means and whether it is a general concept or something with contextual meaning in a given facility

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doctors. Many people here including myself were given oral steroids when we first complained about this to our doctors.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

We can find twenty studies with twenty slightly different results and I DO think steroids can have utility -- is just poorly understood, and so nothing like "equivocal". This might be a standard of care in some hospitals, but it's certainly not something they do in the majority of them, so insinuating it is some normal conventional treatment is silly when clinicians can't even agree if there is a consistent effect.

You continue to ignore the fact that there are a ton of "no effect found" studies...

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aren't you late to the colosseum?

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Feel free to continue ignoring the half of the research on this subject that doesn't align with your views; I'll continue to think this is an interesting thing that needs a lot more study to clear up the massive conflicts in the existing papers, and also that you don't really understand what "standard of care" means and just revert to silly, substanceless ad homs when you're faced with ideas you don't like.

21. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I agree with you.

JohnAdams has some good ideas once in a while but he lacks the kind of scientific understanding you have.

He resorts to nonsense ad hominems when something doesn't align with his views.

Intellect people see through his behavior.

22. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had the bedroom window slightly open. My tinnitus hasn't stayed permanently worse. It is fluctuating in volume at the moment so not too concerned.

23. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks for that. 110 decibels wouldn't cause damage, so that's comforting.