Might Have Messed My Right Ear Trying to Get Wax Out

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Dec 1, 2018.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      So I went into a new GP the other day as I couldn't see my usual one and she mentioned that only half of my ear drum in my right ear was visible because of ear wax. This was a surprise because I had better hearing in my right ear than my life. She suggested getting it out with a ear wax removal kit. So I went to CVS and bought the kit and put the oil drops in my ear then used the little bulb to irrigate my ear. Of course nothing came out. I wake up the next day and that ear is clogged with wax. What I did may have softened the wax and caused it to cover my canal completely. So two days later I tried again. When the oil came out of the ear this time, it was yellow and there was a small little flake that came out on the tissue. But when I irrigated, again nothing came out. I noticed that my tinnitus in that ear was worse and my voice muffled and the ear felt full when I talked. Sleeping was a nightmare because my masking devices couldn't be heard in that ear at all.

Fast forward to this evening I was really suffering all day so I decided to give it another go. Used the drops and again the oil came out yellow. I irrigated and this time flakes and a tiny chunk of wax came out (very tiny chunk though) and eventually nothing more came out. I tried the drops one more time and they came out clear but my ear still felt like it was clogged and my tinnitus in that ear still remained bad. I can hear a little better in that ear but my voice still sounds louder in the other (left) ear when I talk and things are still muffled in my right ear.

I am VERY AFRAID I may have lost more hearing due to irrigation and I'm not sure if there is still some wax in there. The amount that came out was not enough to plug my canal in the first place. I am so nervous and scared that I'm shaking and crying. I should have been more careful! I should have just sucked it up and put my distrust of ENTs aside and just gone in to have it removed. I regret ever listening to that GP.

What do you guys think? Have I screwed up my hearing for a sixth time? This is so unfair, plenty of other people go in and have wax removed with no hearing loss problems... :( I need a hug. I haven't been honestly hugged in over a year.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      You’ve probably softened the wax so that it’s spread out more and covered your ear drum. Try not to panic but let a medic have a look to see if that is what has happened. It doesn’t take much in the way of wax to clog our ears x

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
    4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I think @Nanny chocolate is right. I dont think you permanently made things worse. Just need to get it professionally removed. Sadly I haven't gotten a hug in a few years either. Honestly thats the last thing I thought I would ever lose because of tinnitus.

Me: How bad can tinnitus be? What's the worst thing it can do to me?
      Life: Get no more hugs
      Me: Wat?!?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Probably not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I think you will be just okay @derpytia.

I once in a while, will use a drop of hydrogyne peroxide mixed with a droplet of water. I saturate a cotton ball and gently squeeze a little into my ear. You will hear a sort of bubbling effect. This helps dry up the ear canal.

But....do not do what I did back then thinking doing this a thousand times would be even better. All that did was dry up my ear canal and it itched like crazy!!!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      It's not the drops that I think messed up my ear. It was the gentle stream of water from the squeeze bulb I used to irrigate my ears that I think did it. I wasn't careful enough.

I woke up today and the new screech mid tone sound is still there. I know deep down in my gut that it's permanent because I've been around this track five times already. :(

• Hug Hug x 1