Mindfullness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by david.hawkins.79, Mar 23, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. I'd be really interested to know if anyone has had any experience of this course. Looks very interesting but I'd love to hear from anyone that's actually tried it.

Www.mindfultinnitusrelief.com

• Like Like x 1
    2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I imagine you will have to pay an arm and a leg for her course.
      I am trying mindfulness as my audiologist stated he used it to no longer hear his T after 2 years.
      He said he began to live life normally again, as for 2 years he shut himself away after work. And he did relaxation, which is in fact mindfulness. You sit comfortably do some deep breaths and then do a body scan from top to toe just allowing your mind to pause on each area of your body, if you mind wonders you just come back to the scan, no judgement. it takes a few minutes. he also said check regularly if you are holding shoulder or neck tension as this releases stress hormones.
      he said after 6 months his T was quieter after a year he no longer heard it.
      I am going to try and get a UK GP to refer me as i know they can.

• Like Like x 3
    3. mintbaby

mintbaby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss (probably)
      I am considering this. I would like to know if anyone else has tried this as well. The course is 325.00 and you need to purchase a book that goes along with it. I have also contacted Julian Cowan Hill and will be starting Skype sessions with him soon. I have used a bunch of free resources to help with my mindfulness journey so far.

I have tried the body scans but I find it hard to focus on some of the things they ask you to do, when they ask you to scan your head for anything I just can't help but think of my T. So, here are a few free things I have tried that have been helpful in calming me down. Don't get angry if your T thoughts come into focus, because they will... just try to focus on your breathing and the words they are saying.

Guided Mindfulness Meditation on Joy [HD]
      This one really helped me with feeling happy, and at the end I actually fell asleep with no meds.

Youtube search: Mindfulness Meditations. You'll get plenty of these results. That's just one of my favorites.

buddhify 2 walkthrough video
      This is the Buddhify 2 app info video, it's 2.99 at the app store (google Play). It's cheap, it's got tons of meditations for you to use on the go.

Youtube search: Guided Imagery Meditation. This is exactly what it sounds like... the speaker guides you into an image/setting using descriptive words to help you imagine and feel yourself in the place you're imagining. I love these.

I also find that leaving my house, engaging in conversation (that doesn't involve T talk), and taking long baths with lavender helps me to stay calm. One thing I have found that I do, which is awful, is when I wake up I tend to just continue lying in bed thinking of T and I can't get back to sleep. So, today I have decided that, no matter how tired I am, I will be getting up from bed and getting in that bath tub, relaxing my anxiety... getting dressed, getting ready for the day and going out to the gym for a walk, then maybe going out to lunch (even if it's by myself) and eating something healthy.

I highly suggest reading Julian Cowan Hill's books, you can get them on amazon for your kindle or paperback for relatively cheap. As he suggests throughout his books, I am going for craniosacral therapy tomorrow along with some myofascial massage to help with my jaw. It's the only place I can get massaged because I am pregnant, but I would suggest to anyone not pregnant to definitely try getting massages, and being mindful of how it feels.

@david.hawkins.79 I hope this helps you, or anyone reading it. Again, if anyone has tried this course... I'd be delighted to hear about it. If not, maybe I'll be the first to try it. Just have to save up some money.

God bless you all. :)

Edit: I am also in counseling sessions with a CBT who has instructed me on some things I can do to help forget about T. I highly recommend finding someone that specializes in tinnitus based CBT. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Long-term microbial overgrowth?
      @david.hawkins.79 @mintbaby

I went through the online class more than a year ago. It will be the most beneficial to people that have very little or not exposure to mindfulness meditation, relaxation, CBT... If you already have some experience on those topics you will find very little new. The backbone of the class is the 8-week mindfulness meditation protocol by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I have met Dr. Gans since she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and was a speaker at the ATA Tinnitus Support Group in my area. Her personal background is in chronic pain. I think she means well, and is trying to get this new wave of CBT/Mindfulness to be considered more widely. She was in the TT Forum Doctor's Corner, and replied to emails. Personally, I was not in the right state of mind when I took the class, and even if I understood the methodology, I was not able to internalize it and incorporate it to my daily routine. Ironically, one year later I am finding the cognitive and relaxation methods to be very good tools to deal with the T challenge.

@noisebox

Mindfulness and other cognitive methods only help with habituation. The story that you are telling I will think that is about habituation to perception rather than actual T elimination. One can argue endlessly that if the T is not consciously heard is just as good as eliminated, but I do not agree.

@mintbaby

I have tried craniosacral therapy (about 7 sessions) and got nothing beyond some relaxation. This technique is just doing too little to have any effect (I don't know what Julian Cowell found here).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Kste Adams

Kste Adams Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I began using meditation late last year before I'd heard of Dr. Gans's course. My tinnitus is five years old, definitely chronic, and gradually getting louder. Mindfulness meditation has been shown to be effective for people suffering from chronic pain, and recent studies show that tinnitus and chronic pain share the same disfunction in the brain (basically the "gateway" that stops pain and tinnitus signals from reaching one's conscious mind isn't working). In addition, people who regularly meditate have also been shown to have more gray matter in different areas of the brain, and both tinnitus and chronic pain sufferers have less gray matter in certain parts of their brains. (Sorry for glossing over a lot of the details; the Research section has info about the chronic pain link, and Google will turn up studies about meditation and its effect on the brain.) But these facts suggest that meditation should also be helpful for tinnitus, so I gave it a try, figuring it would be several months before I noticed any particular change.

Results so far:

1. My tinnitus isn't any louder than it was when I started, so I consider that progress.
      2. One evening during meditation, the tinnitus stopped completely for 10 -12 seconds. Complete silence for the first time in five years.
      3. A month later I was driving and noticed the tinnitus. I reminded myself to be mindful, and the tinnitus stopped completely again for a few minutes. Complete silence again, and I really listened for it this time.

So I think meditation is definitely doing something beyond normal habituation because I was pretty much habituated before. Even if it weren't I'd continue to meditate because it has other benefits that are helpful to tinnitus sufferers, such as reducing anxiety and allowing one to sit and "observe" their tinnitus without reacting emotionally.

(One disclaimer: meditation is helpful for most everyone, but for those who are suffering from mental illness or PTSD or the like, it can unleash the "demons" in their minds and be overwhelming. I recommend talking to your doctor before beginning to meditate if you're unsure.)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will settle for habituation if it means I don't perceive the sound anymore. It's all we have right now in the absense of even one treatment option.
      If I don't perceive the T, it would join all the other bodily functions I don't perceive, I know for a fact the brain and bowel make a lot of noise but we don't perceive it.

7. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would like to know more from you about your understanding of mindfulness. I have no training just 2 minutes with an audiologist.
      How long have you been meditating? How often do you do it? And I'm curious what technique you could employ while driving to stop the T

8. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I do mindful meditation but not this course . Instead I see a therapist who is teaching me how to do it. It does help reduce stress which helps my t lower also. You can probably find some local meditation classes or groups near you to do the same thing with local support!

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I agree completely. I just had my last session with a local therapist yesterday. Mindfullness relaxation was a big part of the therapy. The one-on-one instruction certainly helped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      My brother has T and he's been doing mindfullness meditation for 30 years. He got his PHD in mindfullness meditation. He meditates and hour or two everyday. He goes on retreats where they meditate all day. His T doesn't bother him at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Could you find out from your brother what sort of MM course he would recomend specifically for tinnitus? Also, if he knows of a course online or explained in a book, for those of us who either live in the boonies or for other reasons have no access to classes or a therapist. For example, I don't have the financial means to see a therapist for MM, but I'd like to follow a MM course that would address tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2000, but real bad since 06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I started visiting some Yoga course, which also includes meditation and lecturing from the old scriptures. While some of it is quite esoteric mumbo-jumbo, I found that the meditation mixed with exercises helped me to calm down and come to have less anxiety and negative feelings about my T. Took me some time to realise that during meditation, you're not looking for silence but for peace and calmness.

I recently read a very interesting article in a Scientific American journal from end of 2014 (I even found it online) about meditation.
      It suggests that meditation can help to cope with chronic pain (which - basically - is not that different to tinnitus in my opinion), not necessarily by reducing it but by making it bother you less. It's basically as Robert44 says (And, in my opinion the only and best way out for quite a long time): The goal is to have your T/H not bother you at all.

13. stewart_uk

stewart_uk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi

That fee is very expensive

You can download an app free called HEADSPACE on your phone (if using an iPad select iPhone apps and search)

It's a day 10 day course with just 10 minutes a day. I just completed it and am doing it again

14. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Thanks for directing us to Headspace. I have a Kindle Fire which I always use to wind down at night by playing their Scrabble game, so it's nice to see it's available as a free app on Amazon, too.

Edit to add, that's the Amazon UK link. Here's the Amazon.com link for Headspace.

You've had tinnitus a very long time. Can you tell us a bit about your tinnitus, and in what way this app has improved it or made it easier for you to live with it?

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. Kste Adams

Kste Adams Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I'm definitely not an expert! I began meditating years ago before the tinnitus started - no instruction, just sort of felt my way into it and did what seemed beneficial. My practice was more like transcendental meditation, where you focus on a mantra, than mindfulness. I meditated twice a day for up to 40 minutes at a time, and was very relaxed and able to cope with life's challenges during that period.

I began meditating again late last year because I thought it would be helpful for tinnitus. I added a mindfulness session in the mornings and my usual version of meditation in the evenings. I made one change to the evening routine because of the tinnitus: adding music. When I first started up again, the tinnitus became very loud which I'd expected. There is a lot of meditation music on YouTune. I especially like Tibetan singing bowls, although some are kind of annoying to me and others are soothing. I didn't try to mask the tinnitus. I just wanted the music to slow my brainwaves and to start associating my tinnitus with the soothing sounds.

Since I have no training on mindfulness, I looked on YouTube for guided mindfulness meditations for chronic pain relief (since tinnitus and chronic pain share the same brain disfunction, I thought these would be the most helpful). There are a lot of them. I look for sessions that last at least 20 minutes since I believe more is more with meditation, although every bit helps.

This is all a work in progress, although I've seen enough changes to believe that meditation does things beyond mere habituation. The business with driving was completely by accident! I'm always surprising by periods of silence, and so far there haven't been too many of them - but I had none prior to taking up meditation again, and I think my tinnitus is too well established for it to just disappear on its own.

I'll be interested to hear about others' experience with meditation.

16. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      You might like the meditative nature of the Tibetan Singing Bowls sound generator on myNoise.net. Very high quality streaming audio, and you can adjust the various components to your preference. Choosing the "Animate" button will create variances in the sound that change from time to time. It's one of my favorite options with all the sound generators on the site. There are also Preset options that you can choose, such as Nepal, Tibet, and Sound Therapy.