Mindfulness

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Carol, May 6, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Carol
      Fine

Carol Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      Hi. It's been a while since I last posted. Things are going better for me now. The persistent T is still there but I'm generally enjoying life again. It does get me down some days though so I've still not completely habituated which is frustrating. A friend of mind with T pointed me in the direction of this article:
      http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/files/pdf/Research_MindfulnessTherapy.pdf
      I've since been reading a bit about Mindfulness on the net. It's really interesting. It seems to help stress and depression in anyone - no matter what the trigger. I think it might be worth a try .......
      Carol

• Like Like x 1
    2. tokyotony
      Busy

tokyotony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      • Useful Useful x 2
    3. nologic
      Sunshine

nologic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Thanks to both of you for the links to interesting articles. I agree about that mindfulness helping in living with T. I really like this quote from the article Carol linked:
      not just an ordinary awareness but rather full consciousness of immediate experience, approached with curiosity, acceptance, openness to whatever arises, and a gentle compassion toward one’s self.

And tokyotony's links have been booked marked for future reading because there were so many articles that interest me.

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi everyone,

People who are interested in mindfulness meditation for tinnitus--as offered by Dr. Gans--might want to examine the videos below which feature Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn. Kabat-Zinn is the founder of mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR). Dr. Gans, of course, adapted this specific methodology for tinnitus. But everyone could also use his information to create their own DIY guide.

This is an interesting video with some neurocognitive information on it. :)

Mindfulness Stress Reduction And Healing

This video is MBSR in action for pain. It's probably something like Dr. Gans' course.

Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD – Mindfulness...

Besides the videos, here are CDs and book references to Dr. Kabat-Zinn.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Like Like x 2
    6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Although I've always believed that meditation could help with tinnitus--since it reduces stress--I confess to never having tried it successfully. My mind is always busy: thinking, planning, organizing, revising, etc. Every time I've tried to meditate, my "thinking' always got in the way. And thoughts such as "why am I doing this" and "this is really boring" would invariably intervene and ruin my efforts.

How to overcome my mind's inability to just "be" in the moment? I considered buying the books and CDs listed in this thread, but had not yet gotten around to it. My only attempt to be mindful was to mark "learn mindfulness" on my to do list. But I gave the task no due date--perhaps waiting for inspiration or just procrastinating.

That said, I kept reading studies about mindfulness' effect on the brain: increasing our white matter, increasing our gray matter, decreasing the amygdala, decreasing pain areas in our frontal cortex, etc. Such are the positive brain changes that mindfulness produces and are being analyzed in various brain scanning techniques.

Then I came across this site: headspace.com. It is a site for guided meditation, and it takes just 10 minutes a day. The first ten days are free, and then there is a small monthly fee. Given my reluctance to try mindfulness on my own, I decided to give this site a chance. The meditations are brief, but also change daily. Combined, this helps to prevent boredom. And the site has a small social component for members (meditation buddies).

I'm now in the test period. I don't expect a miracle in 10 days, but I am curious if it will have any affect. And, if so, I'll probably continue for a few months since the price is cheap and the mediations are--well--not as boring as if I were to do them by myself. Indeed, after a week, I'm already getting used to them. Perhaps, in a few weeks, I'll even like them. Who knows? Even if they don't reduce my noise--which is the goal--but they help with focus and other cognitive tasks, I will continue using the site. In any event, I will report in a few weeks--good or bad.

Here is a link to a review about the site. And beneath that are two more links to brain imaging examples of mindfulness.

http://www.themetropolist.com/play/gaming-app-reviews/review-headspace/

BBC News Scans 'show mindfulness...

How Meditation Can Reshape Our Brains: Sara...

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    9. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I will check this Headspace out. Thanks @jazz! I myself have always been a fan of meditation/yoga types of things but have always been self-conscious about going into it for some reason. Well, one positive affect of T is it has made me a lot less tentative and a lot more assertive to do things that I want to do. So I will check this out.

• Like Like x 1
    10. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I am going to check this web site out, @jazz. I have guided meditations loaded on my phone and they helped tremendously with my T anxiety. Thanks.

And happy new year to you. You are such a calming and steady light in our TT community, a beacon of reason. You have helped me and many this past year. Blessings to you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1