Minoxidil, Changing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jchill, Jan 6, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jchill
      Sunshine

Jchill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Hello, I am already habituated to the loudness of my tinnitus and have been really protecting my ears and avoiding very loud environments.

I know this person who recently started using minoxidil for his hair, and has given him great results, I wanted to use it to cover my patchy beard as I know it will really work, however I recently found that Minoxidil (Rogaine) is a K(IR)6.1 potassium channel opener and that it might affect tinnitus. I have been searching on the net and so far I see that there are a lot of people that use minox for more than 10 years and never develop tinnitus, some that actually could sense it, and I found this thread in the forum: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/minoxidil.11493/

this user actually perceived an improvement. The only thing I expect is that it doesnt make it worse, I was thinking about applying minoxidil and taking a gaba supplement at the same time, any feedback about this?

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      GABA supplements don't cross the blood brain barrier, they're worthless.

Topical minoxidil won't get into your system in the amount to make a difference one way or another.

3. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Would gabapentin cross the blood brain barrier?

4. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Quote:
      "Although gabapentin is a structural analogue of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which does not cross the blood-brain barrier, gabapentin penetrates into the CNS and its activity is seemingly distinct from GABA-related effects."

Via google/pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7693432

Answer: yes.

5. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you!:)

6. Jchill
      Sunshine

Jchill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      I already heard that gaba sups are worthless, has anyone tried with something that worked? like glutamate antagonists

concerning minoxidil I´d gladly start applying it now but I´d like to know if anyone has more info about it since I dont wanna risk increasing t volume

7. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @jeannie Hi Jeannie are you still taking Gabapentin? Just wanted to know how your experiences being on GABA. I have been taking it for a year now.

8. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Carlos1 I am only taking 200 mg a day,as I'm afraid of making tinnitus worse. Sometimes it seems to lower my tinnitus (or at least I'm thinking it does)I'm taking it for neck pain /and fibromyalgia...I've only been taking it steady for a month...what is your experience on it Carlos and what are you taking it for?

9. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Well I take it for nerve pain and T but I also take .5 klonopin at nite doc said its the combination of these drugs that can have the best results as far as T is concerned ..... I can go couple weeks feeling really good and then for some reason I start struggling again it's a emotional roller coaster

10. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I take 0.5 Xanax at bedtime also I take tizadine (a muscle relaxer) I was just put on a mood stabilizer drug for depression and to help me sleep.but have only taken about a 4th of it at night because I don't want to mix to much.