Mirtazapine — What Kind of Experiences Did You Guys Have?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christian82, May 25, 2016.

1. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Hey everyone,

I have a questions to those of you who tried Mirtazapine (Remeron) or is currently on it.

I started using 15 mg almost a year ago. After a while alongside with healthy diet and exercise my tinnitus drastically reduced to a start where I sometime where standing in the kitchen and had to really concentrate to hear it.

Now this could all be due to the fact that I lost lots of weight and did exercise all the time.

But I wonder because my doctor wants to put me on Ritalin Adult for my ADHD but I can’t handle the rebound at the end of the day so he asked me to increase the Mirtazapine to 30 mg.

The first two days my tinnitus was still OK but I did notice that I had lost the nice sedation effect from Mirtazapine just before bed time. On the 6th day I started to get really depressed at mid-day the same happened on the 7th day along with a Spike.

So today I stopped and went back down to 15mg.

My hypothesis is that tinnitus is strongly linked to emotions (well in my case at least) and 30 mg is just too strong for me.

I guess the sedation and the good night sleep are very important when I comes to the level of tinnitus.

For me Meditation (MBSR), 15 mg Mirtazapine before bed and a lot of exercise along with a healthy died did wonders.

I was just wondering what kind of experience you guys had with the medication?

For me Meditation (MBSR), 15 mg Mirtazapine before bed and a lot of exercise along with a healthy died did wonders.

I also found this which I found to be interesting:

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.11040086

Well let me know what you experiences are and what you think.

Cheers Chris.

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I started taking Mirtazapine after reading the article you linked to (and because it seemed to help a friend of a friend). I have eventually increased to 45 mg with no obvious positive or negative effects on tinnitus that I know of.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      My doctor put me on Mirtazapine 30 mg for sleep when my tinnitus first came. It did nothing for my tinnitus I guess but it gave me a good night sleep and tons of weight! Arrggh, I just can't stop eating.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Gave me lucid dreams and had no other effect.

5. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      While Mirtazapine is used to treat anxiety and depression, it also has an off label use as a sleep aid. It is supposed to be less addictive than benzos but may require tapering to quit. It can be an effective sedative even at 7.5 and 3.75 mg doses. But there is no substitute for good diet, exercise, meditation and sleep all of which can really make a difference. Mirtazapine did not affect my tinnitus one way or another, but some say it has helped make it less noticeable. It might be that once the edge is taken off, the mind finds other things to focus on making it seem like the tinnitus has been reduced. Either way, if it is helping I say it's a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I have tried it a couple of times just for insomia, ~4mg before bed time. It does help me to sleep better, especially prolongs sleep, but the next day I am tired and can't think clearly. I wonder if these symptoms fade away after some weeks of use??

7. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Is it me taking it very high dose or is it you guys taking it very small doses? God I'm on 30 mg for the last 3 1/2 months...

8. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I have been on Remeron for 3,5 month now. I started at 7,5 mg, which did nothing for me but make me tired. I still couldn't sleep past 3 am. I moved up to 15 - 22,5 - 30 mg. At 30 mg I was finally able to sleep all night which was a godsend gift. In the morning my tinnitus is usually very quiet. It took a while for its effect on my depression to kick in. I now feel better most days. I've also been taking 0,5 mg Xanax every morning. I want to taper that soon because it is making me feel very tired all day. But does wonders for my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I'm told Mirtazapine is less sedative at higher doses. My psychiatrist told me 30 mg is not yet an antidepressant dose, 45 mg is and at this dose it is no longer sedative but more activating.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Thank you for all your replies. It's good to see that most people have some sort of positive effect.

I have a big headache and my tinnitus is way up after being on 30 mg for 6 days. I hope it goes down again after sometime.

I still feel weird in my head. I guess ADs are just not for me. I had the same effect with another AD.

I guess I just stick to Meditation and exercise, like you said it really can’t be replaced and for me 15 mg is best for a good night's sleep. Maybe I'll try 7.5 mg at some point to see how that goes.

Cheers Chris

10. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Didn't do anything for me, like every other psych med.

Made me tired the first night I took it, but I have this problem where my drug tolerance increases massively each and every time I take it, so it completely stopped having any effect within less than a week, just like when I took Adderall.

11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You're told incorrectly. Mirtazapine is more sedative at higher doses.

What you are claiming is impossible. It's like suggesting that 0.00000001 mg of the drug will keep you sleeping for days.

The drug starts being an effective antidepressant at 15 mg. At that dose, depending on your tolerance you might feel sleepy. At 30 mg, you'll sleep. 30-45 mg is the proper dose for its full effect.
      But if you maintain those doses, you'll get super fat in 5-6 moths - therefore watching your diet is recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Well I think a psychiatrist with 25 years of experience knows what he is taking about. BTW I've been taking 30 mg for 5 months now and am by no means super fat.

13. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have been using 15-30 mg of Mirtazapine for over a year now to help me sleep. Just to ease my mind I went off of it for a month to see if I could. It was a bit sketchy for a few days but after that I was fine but I slept less sound. So, I'm taking it again and I sleep great.

My view on this was formed by a psychiatrist I was seeing. He had tinnitus was well, and he told me he has taken a sleep aid every night for 20 years. He compared it to any other chronic disease needing medication. In his, and my case, the medication is needed to sleep better, which in turn helps the tinnitus.

I'm probably going to go off again soon because I don't like the feeling of constantly wanting food (which I assume is related to Mirtazapine).

• Like Like x 2
    14. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      @Cor
      Just wondering if you went off Mirtazapine? Did you ween? How did it go? Any effect on your tinnitus?

15. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm still on it and sleep great. I can keep food cravings under control by long distance running :)

16. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Mirtazapine made my tinnitus worse, trying to taper off now, it's hard to get off.

17. drs
      Wishful

drs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Going off amlodipine, water pills too much benadryl
      Hi,

I hope to start a discussion on Mirtazapine (Remeron) use--who has used it, who liked or likes it, whether you've had it backfire on you and cause a spike or anything else that might be a good talking point.

I have used it the most of all the sleep aids and despite it usually putting me to some kind of sleep, it has had some downsides. I don't know how long it will remain effective or whether it should be interspersed with a benzo like Klonopin maybe once a week. It seems to tamper down the noise sometimes but other times there is a faint high pitched noise during the day after having taken 15mg the previous night.

Altogether it has been about a month since the tinnitus started and I'm wondering if I should try to wean off the Mirtazapine even though it is only 15 mg taken for somewhat less than a month.

I have to take something and the herbal stuff usually just doesn't make it for me and that includes CBD oil, unfortunately.--drs