Mirtazapine Helped Me

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anselmo, May 2, 2018.

1. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      I’ve had tinnitus since 2014. It forced me to retire, since the ringing in my ears was unbearable.

Of course my ENT said I would have to get used to it. I already had trouble sleeping, so that is the worst case scenario for someone with tinnitus.

After a couple of torturous years, I went to a shrink. He suggested an antidepressant. I told him my ENT said that under no circumstance should I take them. I resisted at first, then I said what do I have to lose. I was getting no sleep, had to eat a bland diet because processed food was a severe trigger as was stress.

He suggested Mirtazapine which is for severe depression. It comes in 15, 30, and 40 mg. The dosage of taking less and having it work better is counter intuitive. I take 7 and half mg, and the first night I slept 6 hours. The next day my ringing had subsided.

It was two days before Thanksgiving, and I thought I would test my reaction to food. I stuffed myself with turkey and all the trimmings. No problem. Now I sleep an average of 7 to 9 hours, and sometimes more.

You will have some bizarre dreams at times, but they can be fun. And you will gain weight since you will be ravenous, but after 2 years I have my normal appetite back. I’m now 67 years old, and I feel great.

I still have ringing in my ears, but it moderate, and most of the time I don’t notice it.

• Like Like x 8
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Mirtazapine also helped me greatly. I don't know where I would be without it. Probably hanging from a tree somewhere to be honest. If there is something I can NOT deal with, it is insomnia. Sleep is my get-away from the tinnitus, and without it I wouldn't be able to cope.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I am very interested in Mirtazapine. I am curious though if it is linked to dementia like the tricyclic ADs are (only because they are chemically very similar i.e. tri to tetra).

I am very happy it gave you relief!

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      Did you end up trying Mirtazapine?

5. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I fell 30,000 feet out of an airplane I had been riding with a ziplock bag as a saddle last night and landed on my feet. One helluva dream lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      Yes the dreams can be wild on Mirtazapine. Lol. How many hours did you sleep? Has it helped you with the ringing during the daytime?

7. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m on 7.5 mg and it knocks me out in about two hours. And I sleep a solid 8 hours on it. It’s hard to say at the moment if it is helping my tinnitus. I replaced an evening benzo dose with the Mirtazapine. I also have only been on the Mirtazpine for 4 days. It has improved my sleep, lessened reliance on benzos, and held tinnitus stable. But I think I will see results once my body has stabilized a bit.

• Winner Winner x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      @kelpiemsp, a month later, how’s Mirtazapine working for you now?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mirtazapine is not curing my tinnitus but I sleep well and wake up quiet. Currently on 7.5 mg!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      In your post above from 2018 you had a great experience with Mirtazapine, but in a recent post (May 2021) you said:
      When did Mirtazapine start working against you and giving you bad side effects?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    11. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, for nearly a year it helped, but then it turned on me HARDCORE. Since then more and more side effects have shown up.

12. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Okay, so would you recommend me to taper before the 1 year mark?

I'm currently on 30 mg of Mirtazapine and it's working so well that I'm totally in love with this drug, but I'm also scared of possible horrid side effects from long-term use.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can only say what I would have done myself. Yes, I really wish I had tapered off before the 1 year mark. Mirtazapine is fine to use it shortly I think, to get your head a bit above water, but after that I would get out. But that's just my personal opinion on this drug. Some can be on it for years and it works fine, but it's really a Russian roulette, and I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Not if you in any way can do without it, or with some other drug that's not as potent.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      The problem is I had sleeping issues even before tinnitus, and Mirtazapine seems to be the least ototoxic or safest med for insomnia, with the additional benefit of being anti-depressant.

Is there any better drug for sleep? I'd rather be dead than reinstate benzos and go through that hell again...

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    15. Rayk

Rayk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music through headphones followed by Stress
      The first week was a revelation taking this. Now 3 weeks in and my tinnitus pattern is back to normal. So it hasn't helped me.

16. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      Everyone reacts differently to medication, but Mirtazapine is widely considered one of the safer antidepressants (not saying it's 100% safe).

I've been using it on and off for close to 20 years with no issue and it hasn't affected my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    17. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      Does anyone know if Mirtazapine is the type of medication that can be taken ad hoc?

Usually I know before going to bed when I am going to have a rough night sleeping (maybe once every 3 or 4 nights) and would be good if I could take it on these nights only (presumably this would help to reduce side effects?).

Also, is it prescribed “off label” for tinnitus here in Australia?

18. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I think it's going to depend on how much you take and how long you take it for. You should be careful with it like any other antidepressant because there will be withdrawal effects. I think it's best to check with your doctor to be honest.