Mistakes... How Do You Guys Forgive Yourselves for Things That Caused an Increase?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bertman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      How do you guys forgive yourselves for mistakes(in my case a very stupid one) that cause an increase in T?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Bertman,
      Try not to worry yourself about it as tinnitus has a lot of causes and you can easily get tinnitus or a spike from any of them and you can feel guilty this time but could be caused by the others.

We have an advantage over people who don't have tinnitus and put their ears in danger most days and we now know to protect them when we can.

Stay positive and I'm sure you will be fine and the spike should settle....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      @glynis Thank you for your kind words, I'm always amazed at your positive attitude and I wish you the absolute best.
      In my case, it wasn't loud noise that caused the increase, but something else stupid that I did, so that's why I worry it is permanent. In that sense I am looking to learn some coping skills to help myself from this depression and anxiety I continue to face everyday and to stop my obsessive thoughts on my many mistakes. I'm thinking of going back to see my counsellor and maybe getting some self help books. I really want to change my life in a positive way and have a happier outlook on life but it just seems to hard for me to do right now. I want so badly to be happy again.. Hoping others can also chime in on ways to find positives in situations where there doesn't seem to be.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went to some loud shows, shot some guns, took some drugs. I know plenty of people who did all that stuff and don't have T, and I know plenty of people who have T and didn't do any of that stuff.

Blame is pointless. Self-blame, doubly so.

• Like Like x 4
    5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I was exposed to stress and surgery which turned out to be pointless. I was consumed by anxiety I blame myself for that. I agreed to take a massive dose of vitamin D 4 times. I crashed and H came back and T came back too. I tried special noise gens they changed the tone. I regret all of that. 2015 was wasted and my T is still horrendous. I blame myself daily for my present mess

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. MeepMawp

MeepMawp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Being Born
      Whoa whoa whoa don't ever blame yourself for trying to live your life. Every decision we make has consequences, and they're not always the ones we want, but that is the way life works. There's nothing to forgive yourself for.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      My is due to a gunshot without hearing protection. Yea, I was mad at myself for a while, until I finally realized being mad was pointless. It was done, nothing could undo it, and it was time to move on.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Shambles

Shambles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2012
      Piece of advice...dont fall and bang your head in slippery conditions. Tripled my T ;). Didnt see that one coming.

9. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I have caused my own T in the first place, and along the way I've done stupid things. I have felt intense shame and remorse because of it.
      My firm belief in providence, planning my steps, even humiliating steps of sorrow(causing me to long for the resurrection), has given me peace.
      John 17:3

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't have to forgive myself. I was a stupid teenager in the 70's, into loud music like everybody else.
      If I were to go to a super loud music event nowadays that would be unforgivable.