More or Less Dopamine Needed to Lower Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tigo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      I have read a lot of publications about tinnitus but what I don't understand is people with tinnitus do they need more or less dopamine to lower their tinnitus?

2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I don't know that either are the case, or that either have a great affect, but my implication would say that lower dopamine would be better. Caffeine, Alcohol*, nicotine, and all sorts of "upper drugs"
      all raise the level of tinnitus, or perception of it at least. And these things all put more active dopamine into the brain (which is why they are perceived as pleasurable) *alcohol is a depressant but still puts lots of dopamine in the brain, thats why people get all rowdy and hyped up on it or whatever on it.

It may even be worth noting that western science attributes TOO MUCH dopamine causing a person to hear voices (schizophrenia). And hense they are treated with antipsychotics which lower dopamine massively.
      However antipsychotics are known to increase tinnitus in some cases so...

Straightfoward though, I don't think dopamine levels would have a great affect at treating tinnitus, it at best would modulate the perception of the tinnitus. It's not like dopamine is gonna repair your ear. Or whatever biological issue is causing the tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      I kinda notice my tinnitus lowers a bit when I'm happy and laughing with friends, I was wondering if serotonin/dopamine or whatever happy chemicals has something to do with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      And lower with ....

Sulpiride and melatonin reduce tinnitus perception, decreasing dopamine activity

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      That is a great over simplication to a complex issue. We don't know, or if we did there would be piles of drugs on the market already.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      Brain Chemical Linked To Healthy Hearing

A simple chemical in your brain is responsible for elevating your mood when you hear your favorite song on the radio, or the voice of a loved one on the phone. And a new study is looking at how this chemical is connected to your hearing health. Find out how it may be affecting YOUR hearing…

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is produced in several areas of the brain, and released by the hypothalamus. Among dopamine’s many functions in the body, it is linked to the brain’s system of motivation and reward, and can help regulate mood, sleep and cognition. It is also involved in maintaining your hearing.

Low Dopamine Levels Lead To Disease

Decreases in dopamine levels in the body have been linked to Parkinson’s disease and schizophrenia, and new research is now looking at the link between dopamine levels in the body and hearing health.

Dopamine Maintains Healthy Hearing

In a study published in 2006 in the Journal of Neuroscience, French researchers found that dopamine is important in maintaining healthy auditory nerve neurons, which are responsible for transporting sound from the ears to the brain. Decreased dopamine levels could affect these neurons, impeding transmission of sound from the ear to the brain, and causing sensorineural hearing loss.

New Research On Dopamine And Hearing Health

Researchers from Washington State University and the National Institute of Health are taking on new research in this area. They suspect that dopamine affects the way we hear particular sounds and voices, and they will be studying how dopamine affects auditory processing from brain cells to neural circuits.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, in that case we should all just get ourselves some of these headphones and be done with further hearing issues and neurodegenerative diseases.

http://iheartintelligence.com/2016/03/09/headphones-dopamine/

9. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      @Tigo @Vinnitus Actually guys, this may explain my situation a little and also support the theory in part. My T came about from a reaction I had to a very low dose antidepressant. I ended up getting akathisia which is an overstimulation of the CNS but it also comes with severe dopamine blockage. I can't even explain what it feels like to be running on little to no dopamine.

I know you were joking in part but I wonder if those headphones are dangerous for T. There was one guy on here that got T from the bio tuner which is supposed to increase neurotransmitters through pulses sent through the ears (they also have a disclaimer that it has been know to cause T).

Then again there's the microtransponder which I'm sure everyone knows about already which works through vagus stimulation.

Now you got me thinking that in my case, maybe the dopamine headphones might help (unless they backfire and cause T due to the electrical impulses like the bio tuner).

10. smapti

smapti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infections
      I have recently starting taking Adderall because I have an important series of exams coming up that I want to pass, and need to "crank out" and cram for it. I have had really terrible cicada tinnitus recently, which oscillates. I took 30mg of Adderall this morning, and I SWEAR that it has become much lower since taking it [1.5 hours later]. So, I predict that dopamine helps tinnitus, for some odd reason. I'm very happy about my discovery. Anything that work for me, you know? Next up - my FX-322 clinical trial!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1