Mornings Are So Loud

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa O'Kane, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Lisa O'Kane

Lisa O'Kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it's from Wellbutrin
      Hi! My name is Lisa and in August of this year I was diagnosed with SSCDS (Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome). I've had very low grade tinnitus since August 2014 after starting 150mg of Wellbutrin per day. The tinnitus was so low that I didn't even notice it nor did it cause me any problems. I have extremely loud noise sensitive for the past several years. This summer I was in England for two months and was exposed to more noise than I ever am at home in Los Angeles. Barking dogs, loud parties, etc. I wore musicians earplugs as much as I could. After my 11 hour flight home where a child screamed the ENTIRE way (I wore noise cancelling headphones) I noticed the next day that the tinnitus had gotten louder. 3 days later I was diagnosed with SSCDS as I have had vertigo since 2003. I'm told that tinnitus is not a symptom of SSDS. Well if it's not (which I don't believe) than I'm going to try everything possible to lessen the noise. There are days when I feel I will go insane. The stress in my life right now is incredibly high as I have a mother with dementia and we're trying to get her in a facility. Up to 15 times a day she calls me.

I just read @Michael Leigh's very good article "Tinnitus, A Personal View" and I feel now that I can start a journey to try to lessen these symptoms as I now have more information. I've had a CT scan to diagnose the SSCDS but I'm aware that there are other ailments that can cause the vertigo, tinnitus etc and I want to explore that. Acoustic Neuroma was mentioned and I'm wondering if that should be my next step to find out? Also, Michael talked about sound machines especially at night because the tinnitus would not be so raging in the mornings. What kind of sound machine do you recommend? Any particular brand? I would drink bleach at this point (not really) to lessen these symptoms. I take Xanax for the anxiety which works well and doesn't knock me out.

Thank you to everyone in this forum for your bravery, your stories, your rants, your information. I'm so thrilled to have found this group.

Lisa

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Lisa O'Kane

Oasis sound machines are very good and made specifically for people with tinnitus. Model S-650 is popular. I am sorry to hear about your mother and the increase in your tinnitus. It must be a stressful time for you. Consider having a word with your doctor as something might be prescribed to help relax you during this difficult time.

Hope things start to improve for you soon.
      All the best
      Michael