Motivational Book Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by John_415, Feb 3, 2018.

1. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey all,

I have not seen any motivational book thread on this forum and thought i would make one.

The first book I wanna bring up I came across when looking at a quote on this website:
      http://www.mindfultinnitusrelief.com/about-the-program.html
      At the bottom of the site the quote says:
      Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
      Viktor E. Frankl
      The quote is from his book: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
      Its about his experiences living in a Nazi deathcamp and its lessons for spiritual survival.
      The book has been quoted as one of the 10 most influencial books in America in 1991.
      Link to the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4069.Man_s_Search_for_Meaning

The second book I want to bring up and one of the most famous motivational books ever made is: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
      This book is about finding motivation to achieve your goals by suppresing negative tought and focusing on long-term goals by having desire, faith and persistence. I found this book to be very motivating to me.
      By 2015 more then 100 milion copies where sold. Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_and_Grow_Rich
      Link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Landmark-Bestseller/dp/1585424331

I myself am not into Harry Potter and the likes and tought these books might help someone here who is in a much worse space then I am. If anyone knows any other motivational books you can post them here!

• Like Like x 2
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Half a year ago when I hit rock bottom after four years with tinnitus I felt similarly. Success stories depressed me, positive quotes made me angry, none of the 'oh-so-inspiring' Ted talks seemed to apply or help. Tinnitus was just worse than everything else, I thought. It is a horrible condition. It can absolutely ruin your life. I'm only surviving day by day.
      But every stupid little moment where I feel just slightly better - I allow myself to enjoy that moment. No, this is not how I pictured my life but I still want to do things - despite all those restrictions that come with t and h.

I'm gonna keep on living - even if it's just out of spite or because I naively hope that there'll be a treatment in 10 years.

You hate this condition? I get it. You just want it to stop? Absolutely understandable. You just want to scream at doctors? Me too. But the people (desperately) trying to still live their lives despite t/h? Don't try to put them down.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The five stages of grief are not exclusive to terminally ill patients. They are used by many individuals struggling with a variety of minor and major health conditions and personal challenges.

Yes, we get it: tinnitus is awful. We all hate having tinnitus.

Is tinnitus the same as early stages of a terminal cancer diagnosis? Maybe, it likely depends on the form of cancer. Some forms are more painful than others depending on what organs are being damaged.

Is it the same as the final stages? No. I just lost a loved one to cancer. They were fully sedated and medicated with three times typical levels of pain medication, yet they still continually screamed out in pain. Tinnitus is painful, but it does not cause that level of pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Studies-in-Pessimism.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Fully agree. Easily one of the most based philosophers of all time.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I still don't get the joke, but then again if your laughing then I guess it works for you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    8. Okalready

Okalready Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi John_415, great topic and thanks for starting it. I have come to believe that grateful people cannot be bitter and bitter people cannot be grateful, based on my personal observation of the living. We have problems, OK? But I guarantee no matter who you are there are others in far worse circumstances who can manage to keep their chin up and give a smile to someone who needs it. These people have found the key to happiness and it has little to do with their particular set of circumstances.

I've recently come across Nick Vujicic, a motivational speaker who was born with no arms no legs. His book "Life Without Limits" is outstanding, and he is also outstanding. He is the kind of person you could never forget, not because he has no limbs, it's his attitude. He has helped countless individuals, especially school age children with depression and suicidal tendencies. All sorts of causes for these young ones to feel desperate whether peer pressure, divorce, social media bullying, the list is long. He is an inspiration to me.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey Okalready, tnx for the message. Yeah gratitude and staying positive are important indeed, even if you have to fake it till you make it, if you can find the things you just love to do or rise up to the challenge of something you want to achieve, those are good motivators.

Very interessting guy that Nick Vujicic, I just watched his TED talk, great stuff.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I just finished the book ''Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl''. His book says some interesting things about finding meaning and purpose in life. He was the founder of logotherapy, some info about logotherapy can be found on the website: www.logotherapyinstitute.org/About_Logotherapy.html

• Like Like x 1