Movie Theaters?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rudy, Jun 24, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Anyone progressing to where they can attend the movies?!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. LillianLexicon97
      Spooky

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      I don't have H but I couldn't imagine going to the movies. Too afraid I'll make T worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I just saw Jurassic World....fun movie. You can go to the movies. Sometimes they are not really that loud. Sometimes they are. Bring ear plugs just in case and enjoy. I have T and H and I can still go to movies. There was about a year where I didn't due to fear of loud movies, however, now that is not an issue for me. The fear of loud noise is far worse than the actual noise.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I never stopped going to the movies. I LOVE movies! I take my ear plugs (and ear muffs) and don't sit real, real close. But then, I never liked sitting close.

One thing we have talked about here at TT: The trailers are crazy loud, much worse than the film. I just saw "Inside Out" on Saturday, and it was the case as usual. So if you're worried, stake out your seat but stand outside the door for the trailers.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      You should get some pro earplugs, those who filter sounds well.

I've seen jurassic world with good but classic earplugs and i totally enjoyed it, i've heard all.

6. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      question is, can you actually get ear/hearing damage from going to the movies?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    7. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. There is an official limit to the loudness authorized in cinema.

After, if it's respected or not... the great majority respect it i think, maybe some not.

I personally prefer to let my ear rest so i take earplugs. So after my mind is cool and satisfied. And it's loud enough to enjoy it really.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jbeans

Jbeans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I watched the terminator without ear plugs and it didn't make my T worse .. In fact if anything I had low T days the following few days.
      But the reason for my T is unknown so if yours is due to hearing loss be sensible to not exacerbate the situation .

I do not go to clubs anymore though , no way - that definitely causes some kind of accumulative damage which will eventually catch up to u

9. jonathanvg
      No Mood

jonathanvg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      you are so right sir. i dont let my TTTS control my life anymore
      ps: i enjoyed jurrasic world aswell great movie

• Like Like x 1
    10. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i did it was my second permanent spike.. but it was the fucking previews theyre louder than the movie well depending on what movie youre seeing...

11. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I saw the documentary about Amy Winehouse called Amy last Friday (fantastic!) and watched the whole thing without earplugs or any increased tinnitus from it. I measured the sound decibels with my phone and they were in the 60-70 range so I felt comfortable doing that. I tried Jurassic World without plugs but put them in after about a half hour. Tonight my wife and I are going to go see Trainwreck (can't wait! Love Amy Schumer so much.) and will probably try without plugs but stick 'em in if it is too loud.

So yes I go to movies!

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I prefer to be safe than sorry , so no risk taking for ow and no theatres. It may come later , but no trailers, only small cinemas respecting the sound levels and ear plugs. T is unpredictible and what doesn't hurt ears of one person may hurt yours, so NOBODY can tell you for sure whether it will exacerbate your situation or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I think it's safe to say if you got T at a relatively young age (before 40?) then your ears probably aren't as resilient as the general population. To follow the same noise exposure guidelines as people without auditory problems would be dumb and reckless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Agreed,...the volume level during the previews of upcoming movies is absolutely absurd! That's been an aggravating issue with me for a long time.

What,..do they think that unless they make them annoyingly loud that we're not going to pay attention to them?....:dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To reassure some of you, i have seen Ant man yesterday (funny movie btw) With STRONG earplugs. Could still hear it ( a lot less but still audible) and i totally enjoyed it.

It can be surprising but after some try cinema with earplugs is enjoyable.

If volume scares you, you should do like Gosia, small cinemas are often less loud.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Blake

Blake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      To be honest, movie theaters are not nearly as loud as parties, clubs or concerts. If you wear musician ear plugs like downbeats, Etymocis or any other musician ear plugs, you'll be fine. I usually wear downbeats ear plugs (19 DB) and my ears have always felt fine and my Tinnitus has never increased from being a the theater.

I've been to movie theaters a ton of time, even IMAX. I've seen that during an action film I was watching, the highest DB I recorded on the DB meter (was in my girlfriend's purse) was about 90 ish and that was for a couple seconds. The average DB during the film was about 65-75 DB. So with downbeats ear plugs that means the DB going into my ears is around 56 DB. That's pretty good.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've been to several movies recently (just saw "Bridge of Spies", which is a really good movie), and haven't had any problems or increases in tinnitus at all. I bring my ear plugs with me, and put them in before the trailers. Usually, after the trailers are over, I can take them out again and enjoy the movie. Those trailers are waaay too loud!

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Don't count on that to keep you safe.
      http://kxan.com/2014/02/14/testing-movie-theater-volume-too-loud/
      Sustained levels of >120db, as in, three times the volume pressure that my motorcycle makes a full rev? That's completely bonkers.

19. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I went see James Bond Spector and had my noise reduction plugs in and went on fine........lots of love glynis

20. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi Glynis. So 007 didn't upset your tinnitus then. lol

21. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AC/DC Concert
      I started snowblowing today (Chicago snowstorm) without ear plugs and then put them in after 5 minutes.

I was doing pretty good today until I did that. Now Mr T is bring pretty loud. -- I'm kicking myself but know that this spike will be temporary..

Snowblowing (& snowmobiling) is about 106 DB. At least with snowmobiling, you have a helmet on..

22. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AC/DC Concert
      Here's a good sound chart (wish I saw this before the rock concert that caused my T):

Sounds Chart.jpg