MRI Side Effects?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aish, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Aish

Aish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After having dozen of treatments my ENT doctor finally recommended me to do a MRI. I'm only 25 years old and little bit hesitated to go for the scan. I would like to know whether there are any side effects of MRI scan?

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      there's no radiation in mri. it's pretty safe

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      I just had one and it's just like being pushed into a drainpipe but very noisy, it was over a lot quicker than I thought, I just lay there ( head in a cage) praying not to get an itch because you can't move! No side effects at all, good luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. sleepy

sleepy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and gaming via headphones, earbuds and headset
      @Aish
      Depending on the hospital, you might need to take a creatinin blood test if you're able to do the dye contrast for your scan.

The MRI machine was loud for me. It sounded like a construction site. If your T was noise induced, I'd recommend ear plugs.

Some people are affected by the contrast dye and say it affects their T, but nothing happened to me. They lock your head in place and slide you in a tight tunnel. The process took me 40ish minutes for two scans which was with contrast dye and without. And they stick you with an IV if you're doing the contrast dye.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Abby W
      Wishful

Abby W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced-loud concert
      You won't need blood work before the MRI since you are 25. Patients that are over the age of 60 I believe need blood work. I just went for my first one Friday I am 21 years old. I was a bit nervous but they do provide you with ear plugs. I didn't notice a worsening in my T at all after. I had with and without contrast. They'll do the scan for about 20 minutes and pull you out to put the contrast in then you go right back in for the reminder of the test. It wasn't as bad as I was excpecting. And if you are claustrophobic there are places you can go to have an open MRI which is much more comfortable. Hope that helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have had MRIs and nothing happened. It could be loud, so maybe have an ear plug...

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aish

Aish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I faced for the MRI scan and it was exactly as you said. Used ear plugs, noise was really loud but cozy.took around 20 minutes. Its was not bad as I thought. (y)
      MY MRI REPORT WAS RECEIVED .......
      There is an one issue,it was noted "There is a mucosal polyp in right maxillary sinus". (my issue is with right ear and having hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis:() Please tell me any one had this problem? Is there any relationship between the result and symptoms?
      ( Appointment with my ENT surgeon is fixed tomorrow)

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mucus retention cysts (which, I believe, is the same as a mucosal polyp) are very normal, routine incidental findings on imaging studies. I also have one in my right maxillary, or at least I did as of 2009 when I had a C/T scan.

It's not a problem, and it's not likely to have any connection whatsoever to your symptoms.
      http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/nasal-polyps-symptoms-and-treatments#1

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aish

Aish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Finally,my ENT surgeon told me that, there is no issue in the MRI report which is related to tinnitus. No further medicine. So, I will have stay my life time with hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis. Now what? I'm speechless right now. NEED HELP!!!!!!!:cry:

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      You may not believe this now but that's somewhat good news. The things the MRI are looking for can be serious life altering problems and the solutions likely won't cure tinnitus either.
      Hearing loss is common and if we're lucky to live long enough most of will experience hearing loss. You WILL find a way to live with tinnitus, millions of us do. I know when it's spiking desperation sets in with anxiety and depression. I'm there right now myself but I also know habituation is possible, I've been there once and get there again and so will you. The best help I can offer is to find a way to get through each day, use masking sounds, rain sounds, fans, static, whatever you like. I've been suffering for 2 months with my recent spike and am beginning to have brief moments of peace. Hold on, it will come but it's a slow process.

• Helpful Helpful x 1