Mt. Hood Climb For a Cure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Donna Brown, Jun 1, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Donna Brown

Donna Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Hi,
      My name is Donna Brown and I have a long story to share. I have had tinnitus since '96, way too long... I have run the gamut of seeing less than helpful doctors, tried many different treatments such as TRT, which provided a few years of relief, acupuncture, chiropractic, endured numerous blood tests sent to NY, and everywhere else in the country, MRI's, CT scans, and wires poked in my ears, etc. without much relief. Long story short, tinnitus has to GO!!!!!! I was so depressed, I could not even get out of bed for months, yet after TRT, felt a bit better and then decided that I could either let tinnitus ruin my life, and roll over and die, or I could chose to take control and live the life I have always dreamed of by following my passions! Luckily, I chose the latter...
      I am an avid outdoors person, and run, hike, climb, ski, snowshoe, and bike like there's no tomorrow... when I'm in the mountains, or anywhere outside, tinnitus hardly exists! I just put one foot in front of the other and GO!!! So, when I discovered ATA, I became a member and developed a rapport with the phenomenal staff, and started to figure out how best to support the vital ongoing research they do. I have climbed twice on Mt. Rainier in Washington in '00 and '07, and have raised over $500,000. for ATA to date, the largest single donation from any member thus far, I am told. This summer, I will climb Mt. Hood in Oregon with all proceeds again going to support ATA in their research for a cure! Not to pin roses on myself, but more importantly to help them as much as I can to find an eventual cure for this horrendous problem! Please check out their website: ata.org under Summit For Silence and find out about more about the climb and ways to you can help support in whatever way you chose. If one person can make a difference, just think what millions of us with tinnitus can do together!!!
      Thanks for listening! Would welcome any feedback.
      Donna Brown

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jon Wayne

Jon Wayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hello Donna, nice to hear, awareness and fund raising is so important..

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Sounds amazing, Donna! You are an inspiration to us all!!

4. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Donna,

You deserve to pin roses on yourself....you are awesome! Thanks for all you do and have done.

5. Donna Brown

Donna Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Thanks for your encouragement and support! Feel free to share your story sometime if you'd like...

6. Donna Brown

Donna Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Thanks for your encouragement and support, Karen! Would like to hear about your story as well if you'd care to share...

7. Donna Brown

Donna Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Thanks for your encouragement and support! You're right! Awareness and fundraising are crucial if we ever want to see a cure for this problem!

8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you for your hard work and I wish you the best! I love the Cascade mountains, I used to go rockhounding for crystals in some places in Washington in those mountains.

9. Donna Brown

Donna Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Thanks much, Hudson, for your words of encouragement and support! Did you rock climb there as well? I also did 2 climbs on Mt. Rainier and that was pretty awesome! I look forward to this climb as well, and having a good amount to donate from same to ATA for continued research! Wouldn't it be nice to have a cure for this problem someday soon!!!

10. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I would literally give quite a bit to have any form of meaningful treatment, much less a cure. A cure would be wonderful though. I would pay many thousands of dollars for something that could take 25%, 50%, 75%... whatever, off of my volume. Be that as it may, I admire your desire to raise funds by climbing. I wish I still lived in the mountains, but work has taken me away from them. I'll donate some money to your climb tonight.