Musical Tinnitus or Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jduns, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jduns

Jduns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had had high frequency hearing loss for a number of years. Started having some tinnitus on and off a couple of years ago, hearing whooshing, beeps and odd noises. However, earlier this year I started hearing music, hymns, songs (The First Nowel, Ten Green Bottles, Aukd Lang Syne etc) mainly at night when trying to get to sleep. I also get it during day at times.
      Am not sure why suddenly got this, and am finding it difficult to sleep because of this. Hearing Therapist suggested leaving some music on or other sounds as have found when have TV on that I do not hear the music as well.
      I do have hearing aids but do not find they help a great deal though though Hearing Therapist tells me I should persevere, the problem being that they amplify sounds I already hear too loud and I still do not hear the high frequency as well as would like. But keep trying them.
      Keep wondering how common the musical hallucinations(as apparently that is what they call this type of tinnitus).

2. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I'm sorry to read this is happening to you. It's super interesting though. Is it like when a song gets stuck in your head? Does it sound liek the song is playing in the room? How loud?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jduns

Jduns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The song is in the room rather than in my head, or so it sounds/seems! The volume varies according to what am doing, if in bed it is loud at first and then seems to go a bit quieter. During the day it is just like background music.
      I thought at first had left TV on, or could hear neighbours TV but then realised that was not case. Apparently it is common to hear songs or hymns from your younger years, and one information sheet I found said it is common in older people who live alone! Which fits me.

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Seroquel. Sorry, you probably have some mild psychosis.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jduns

Jduns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry but I do not have any psychosis. This musical hallucination/tinnitus is not connected to mental health.

Thanks the articles on BTA website and also on Action for Hearing Loss are very informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sweet Caroline
      Angelic

Sweet Caroline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello J Duns, I have the same thing if it's any help to you to know. I hear hymns with all the words for example. It started out with hymns from 'way back' Scary. There must be Something they can do. Now it is scales. There is even the added attraction of an old fashioned radio in the background sometimes. Usually at night when trying to get to sleep. It sounds like the people in the next apartment have their radio on. Just touching base. My Audiologist told me that a high percentage of extremely intelligent people get musical tinnitus.

8. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      I've been getting this, overlaid onto other sound. After using a cheap glockenspiel to quickly check some pitches that have been giving me weirdness, I'll hear "ting ting ting" looping. I tried "recording" a longer melody to see what it would do, and it just looped a part of it, semi-erratically, but not the whole thing. Doesn't happen for everything I hear, but it happens nonetheless.

Also, I get more extended music appearing in white noise. Sometimes I can half control it, as in deliberately move notes and chords in a direction I would like; but as with breathing, it continues involuntarily when I am not doing this. Examples: hearing a "wicked guitar solo" in a space heater, hearing a guy singing in my bathroom fan, and hearing organ music in my car's fan.

• Agree Agree x 1