Musician with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bob Mocarsky, May 16, 2018.

1. Bob Mocarsky

Bob Mocarsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Musician, always around amplified instruments and drums
      I first noticed symptoms of tinnitus in 1985 after a sharp piercing cymbal crash on the bandstand. Days later I noticed pitch discrepancies from right ear to left, disorientation feelings and very uncomfortable sound. Music seemed out of tune, the 'flavor' was damaged. The physical damage appears to have been in my left ear.

Since then these symptoms along with ringing and noise have come and gone, and I believe the problem would subside if I lived a 'normal' life -- without such constant extremes of volume - except that I am a lifetime pro musician, music IS my profession and my life.

I am continually subjected to amplified sounds, monitors, and insensitivity from other musicians who seem to believe volume is indispensable to their expression. Sometimes earplugs of various types are helpful, and other times the remedy seems worse than the problem.

Noise is the culprit, and it is as much about discordant sound that my brain wants to reject as it is about sheer volume levels. I am getting more selective about which gigs I might not want to be around.

We live in a world where most people don't realize that excessive sound levels have seriously damaging effects, and most people are not sympathetic, say, as if they could see your leg is broken, so most times I keep my problems to myself.

I'm getting older, my tinnitus is getting worse rather than better, and I have no option than to be around loud situations. One day at a time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Bob. Here at the TT forum we understand your dilemma and what you are going through. So you can relate to us your problems dealing with T as a musician. You are never alone here and you can rant all you want here.

Among the members there are many musicians or former musicians. In fact, the most read success story on TT, "Back to Silence", was written by a musician. He even uses a poster name 'I Who Love Music'. His method to help himself is quite simple and has helped others. Check out his story here. Good luck. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

3. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bob - I so enjoyed your writing here, and resonate (sorry) with everything you say.
      I am also a pro musician, playing traditional/mainstream jazz trombone.
      (Since age 20 now 75.)

By and large, musos are about as ignorant of Tinnitus and it’s painful implications, as the general public.
      In the jazz world it seems that everybody wants to play ‘loud’ (ie - make history.)
      My jazz life has been mostly jazz club performances, but also recording, broadcasting, jazz festivals (Montreaux - Sacramento - Edinburgh - Breda etc...) Cruise ships, theatre shows, etc...and I have always enjoyed myself.
      I first noticed Tinnitus at a mild (manageable) level at age 50, (1992), but then a very different story in June 2014, when it really hit me hard.
      I have soldiered on up until now, but am about to hang my trombone up on a dedicated nail at the back of the garage.
      All those that know me, and love me, want me to carry on - wife, children, musos, friends, etc...they think they have my best interest at heart - but do they ??
      For me, the price of an increased Tinnitus level, is a price too high to pay.

I have an idea that my own problem may result from the fact that my somewhat quirky embouchure puts my trombone bell hard against my left temple.
      ‘Bone to bone conductivity.
      My left side is most affected by“T.”

I always wanted to play this type of music with a broad sound.
      Perhaps I can play you a short video clip to pin point this bone conductivity aspect.
      Great to meet another muso Bob.
      Sorry this is a bit long.
      Jazzer
      Dave x

4. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise