My Battle with Tinnitus Was Over

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Rick Garner, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Luman
      Spaced

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      That is great news, congratulations! Your English is perfect and your coherence is fine.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Nope, my tinnitus was totally non-reactive. I was never affected by food, drinks, movies, traffic in the streets etc.. I had only one sound starting from month no. 3. That was hissing , and it continued another 2 and a half months and eventually stopped.

3. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      That makes me think whether my T is really caused by ETD. I mean mine is kind of highly reactive, it's worse when I work or when I meet my friends in loud places. But it also settles down very quickly or when I'm in quiet places it stays vey quiet too.

But, having said that, after two months of using nasal spray (now I use same brand as you - Nasonex :) ) my T is much quieter, when I drink water in the morning my ear doesn't feel full anymore, and when I do vasalva manoeuvre my eardrum after popping out it goes back to normal pretty often, which it wasn't be able to do before. Also my GP told me it looks ok now.

Anyway, after two months of waiting I'm finally going to see ENT on Tuesday 20th this month, let's see what he/she says. Any tips what I could ask for, I mean some special test regarding my symptoms?

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi dorje,

I have no idea why your tinnitus is reactive to sound. Usually noise induced tinnitus sufferers are afraid of loud places. That said, looks like you are on the right track to recovery. Keep going and I think after about 6 months, your tinnitus will start to lose its grip, and you will fell much better. As for the ENT visit, you can suggest him to do a tympanogram to check if your inner ear pressure is normal. Good luck with the battle!

• Like Like x 2
    5. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Thank you, will do ask for it. I’ll keep you guys updated. Btw. I’ve got my visit on 27th this month, not 20th, my mistake.

6. Rogerde2018
      Alone

Rogerde2018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Etd
      Rick, I would like to do what you did about the 20-30 times the valsalva but with the otovent ballon, however I’m a little bit afraid about damaging something else. Can you give me some feedback? Thank you

7. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      My Ear tubes seem to be clear according to the ENT and audiologist. I think my ear pain my be down to jaw joint problems which can seem like you have an ear problem. Ive never had an ear infection, which can be associated with ETD. My ear pressure exam was also normal.

The search goes on.

8. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      My ears had fluid behind my eardrum and I was prescribed nasonex today to help dry it up and an allergy tablet so I'm hoping mine will lower in volume.ive had my tinnitus for over 5 years so hoping its allergy related but not getting Hope's up.right now my tinnitus is very loud throughout my whole head and I used nasal spray earlier.i also have hearing loss as well.but if I can get it to lower somewhat that would make me happy.

9. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone here had their ETD issues go away?

10. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      Yes. I found this story in the mid of May. Started using Flonase immediately. Everything just like author described.... Nothing for some time, then hissing. It's mid June and my hissing is so low, sometimes I don't hear it. It's still there.... But much better. I did everything what he said and followed video as well. In addition, I use homeopathic spray to clean my nose throughout the day. My tinnitus started in Feb, and was very reactive to my neck move, touching my head, face. Also, it was reactive to my anxiety. From Feb to April I was total mess .... Then just gave up and was hoping for habitation. Then I found this thread and gave it a chance :) I logged in just to write that it helps, don't give up, keep doing it every day.

11. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lesya
      So yours is somatic like mine. Mine is somatic and I don't know how I got mine. Was not noise induced. I’m only 3 months in but it’s still very loud. I used nasal spray initially for about two months and it seemed to not help? But maybe I didn’t use it long enough. I tried to use it the other day and it seemed to spike my tinnitus.

So your tinnitus reduced a lot? Like what number out of ten was it when it started and what number is it now? Mine is like an 8. Even small neck movements seem to spike mine.

12. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      Mine started out of nowhere... First I had like white noise in my head .. That is when I started frickin out, went to doctor, ENT and so on. Due to my anxiety it became so loud. It was only in one ear, that is why I couldn't get used to it. It was loud in the morning, and when I was in bed going to sleep. I did not use any masker, because I was afraid to get used to it. I just wanted to have my life back. In March I found videos of Hill, and started calling down. Bought turmeric, found good chiropractor. I was thinking that I was getting better, but in mid April I got sick, cold and that is when I became anxious again. I found this thread in mid May, and started using Flonase. correctly!!!!!
      I still take turmeric, but I don't hide from noise anymore, I sleep well, and hear only hissing. Just to mention, when it started in Feb, i thought it was 10/10 but it was mostly my anxiety.

13. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      One more thing, please don't measure it, don't go to the quiet room to listen to it. I know it's hard, very hard, but please don't do it. When you hear it, just say to yourself " my body makes this noise, so it's mine, so it's harmless!" Even if you want to listen really bad, just say to yourself " there's no way you will make me listen to it!" It helps, a lot!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Definitely, thank you. But good the actual volume of your tinnitus came down. Now it’s just a hiss in the ear. Do your still hear crickets or head buzz?

Flonase didn’t make it louder for you? It seems to make mine louder. Do you use it in the morning or at night before bed?

15. Lilah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Lupus
      My tinnitus is exactly the same. Did you have mild hyperacusis? I do so I think mine may be noise induced as well. I used Flonase but that did not help, but I don't have negative pressure in my ears and ears are clear so the ENT said I don't have ETD.

Mine hasn't improved. What do you think helped most with yours?

16. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      I did have hyperacusis in the beginning, and I was off balance sometimes. I use Flonase in the morning. I didn't use Flonase correctly in the beginning. When I spray it in my nose, I inhale at the same time, then do valsalva for several times.
      First of all I think that calming myself down helped to decrease it in the beginning, so I could think clear and have a plan. I have never listen to the loud music, so I knew from the beginning it was not noise induced.
      I stopped drinking coffee and eat carbs. Then I got so angry and said to myself " wtf,I am not stopping what I love because of it!" Now, I drink coffee and have been since April, eat whatever I want and don't care. At first, I was watching any changes, then I stopped. If you were drinking coffee and eating normal diet ( I go to the gym, my wt is stable, if I eat more carbs one day, then I try to stay way from it the next day). Also, I stopped thinking " I will try it, maybe it will help." Now I think " it will definitely help "
      If you ever had cold, fullness in your ear, hyperacusis, of balance.... Then it's definitely eustechian tube issue. By the way, my ENT said that I didn't have any issues and I have to get used to it. My GP said that I had fluid behind my ear and said to use Flonase for a week.... That is why I gave up on it in the beginning. Chiropractor helped with neck pain, but didn't care T.
      I hear only hissing now.

17. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lesya so you still use nasal spray? And the hissing sound is only audible In quiet rooms? Thanks for your responses. Definitely helps.

18. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      Yes, I still use it. And I will for at least 2 more months. He said that he was using it for almost 3 months, so I will do the same. It safe enough to do so. Again, I use a lot of self talk, so when I hear it, I say to myself that it's mine and harmless, it can't kill me. I do a lot of saline spray throughout a day, so I keep my et as clean as possible. Only my left ear hissing, and this is the ear that I still cannot pop. I drink coffee, and today I had a beer...I am not limiting myself anymore. Please do Flonase every day. The first 3 weeks I did not see any results at all, and almost give up... But then though oh well, I will continue....I started noticing difference only last week.

19. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nice! I hope it continues to get better. I will see. Last time I used it it made mine spike up but it may have been a coincidence. It’s also much harder for me to pop my left tube which is the ear that is ringing. I drink decaf for now to at least get the taste as I was an avid coffee drinker.

20. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      Use it correctly please and, believe it will help. Do not cut your favorite things. When you have spike, don't try to find reason for it, just think that it's just a spike :) when I go to sleep, I usually lay on my left side... Just to show my brain that I am not afraid :) keep in touch with me... Let's keep track of it together :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds good. I will keep in touch as it looks like both of ours are the same. So will you say your hiss sound is more like a 1 or 2 out of 10? Mine is like an 8 out of 10.

22. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      I hear it maybe 30-40 % of the day, and it's like 0,5/10, can get up to 2 but only when I think about it to much. When I was writing about it today... It got a little louder lol I got scared a little just remembering how I felt before.
      I take turmeric every morning, two capsule, and raw honey in the morning and evening. My gym has steam room, so I go there almost every day. I go to sleep when I feel like it... Every oyf it's only 8 pm :) I don't talk about it with friends.. only my family.

23. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      I am very sorry yours is so loud. Please try to calm down.. I know how hard it is. Have you ever watch Mr. Hill ? Look him up. I became calmer just by listening to him. When did yours start?

24. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      0.5 would be amazing. Yeah I’ve seen some of his videos, they are good. I’ll need to see more. I’m doing apple cider vinegar right now. I already tried literally everything else. General doc, 2 ENTs, chiropractor, acupuncture, physiotherapy, supplements (zinc, magnesium, B12, D3, K2, Ginkgo Biloba, turmeric), massages, cranial therapy, Neti-Pot, sleep and diet. Nothing seems to work. Tried nasal spray too but probably not long enough. It started on March 7. It did get a bit lower from what it started though. Started at a 9. It’s like 7/8. Had a day at a 6 maybe.

25. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      You have to stop trying everything and hoping it will help..... You must believe something will help. In two months you have tried everything.... Means that you didn't give a chance to anything lol T healing is a very slow process. Do Flonase and think every day " hmmm it's getting better!" Even if there is no charge lol you have to start placing new reality/ memory to your brain. It's helping, IT'S GETTING BETTER EVERY DAY! I was in your shoes, trust me. You have to stop being afraid! It's been almost three months and you are still alive :) right?

26. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That’s true, thanks.

27. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got to give it time to work. I will get back on it.

28. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Low 20 years high sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Use with care.
      When taken in high doses for long periods of time, corticosteroids have the potential to cause glaucoma, cataracts, slowed growth in children and adolescents.

29. Lesya

Lesya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unnknow
      Hi Tony,
      Please try to find outcomes for stress, depression and insomnia....I am pretty sure it will scare you more than possible outcomes of Flonase scared the shit out of me lol

• Like Like x 1
    30. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @MarkX -- Your orientation(s) appears similar to mine. Have you considered learning to do self-acupuncture for lower cost and possibly better results? Also, another ancient Chinese modality Gua Sha has been helpful for my Eustacian Tubes. This might be especially good if you suspect you may have somatic tinnitus.

I know you feel like you've literally "tried it all". I feel the same, but I'm constantly amazed that new things keep coming up to consider. I've come to believe that my best chance of tinnitus improvement is going to be find several (to many) effective therapies that each give me a bit of relief. But added up could give me significant relief. -- Best...