My Experience with 2 Months of Tinnitus and a Glimmer of Hope

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by MidnightOilAudio, May 14, 2015.

1. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hello all, I have another thread going regarding my experience with the onset of tinnitus, but it seems to be getting very low traffic (I understand Im not a celebrity) so I thought I'd post something positive in a new thread in the hopes that more people would see it.

In short, my tinnitus (approx an 11kHz tone) appeared out of the blue while at lunch on work about 2 months ago. At the time I had a nasty cold/flu with a lot of sinus issues. I had major anxiety and depression like so many of us due when we first experience T. I went to an ENT, said the ear was infected and he could see fluid behind the ear drum. Also had impacted wax. He removed the wax, gave me Allegra-D and amoxicilin and told me to go on my way. One month later, ringing still remained. He was very dismissive, as it unfortunately too often the case. I was prepared to live with my T if that's what the reality was, but he offered NOTHING in the way of any prognosis or possible treatments. I decided to get a second opinion. I searched for an ENT who had good reviews, not necessarily for T, but for bedside manner and overall performance. I found one who was not covered by my insurance and made an appointment, paying out of pocket. I was not disappointed.

This new doctor took his time with me and patiently listened to everything I had to say. He then went over the possible causes of my T and told me in his experience with the sort of T that I have, what he usually see's as the course of development (which was, in his estimation, roughly 75% of patients who developed T it cleared up within 6 months time, with the remaining 25% left with chronic T). I left the appointment with my T level exactly the same as the day it started, but I felt a lot more positive just to have a glimmer of hope. Fast foward to a week ago, and one day I woke up with my T noticeably lower. It had not varied in pitch/level one iota since it's onset, but still I was cautiously optimistic. Of course I thought about all the negative 'worst-case-sceanrios' (What if this is the calm before the storm, what if this is just a dip before spike, etc.). But here I am six days later and my T is SO much lower. It is so much lower than I can honestly say if it remained this way for the rest of my life, I would be absolutely fine with it. Is it gone? No. But it sure feels like it's on it's way to leaving. My body gave me absolutely no hint that my T was about to diminish in intensity. I changed nothing in my routine and was not on any new medications.

If just one person out there who is struggling with the onset of T can read this and find a glimmer of hope, it will be worth all the typing I just did. :) One last piece of advice, which may seem sort of strange to post on a forum: STAY OFF THE FORUMS. If you are addicted to them, ONLY READ SUCCESS STORIES. Negative/catastrophic thinking is so cyclical in nature, it feeds of negativity. Reading peoples horror stories will only send you into a spiral of depression and anxiety, neither of which are good for your T. Do something positive for your mental health and avoid them completely.

• Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Cloudberry
      Procrastinating

Cloudberry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for this positive post! I'm happy for you that your T has decreased so significantly. All the best. :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Great news! Really happy for you (and only a little bit jealous). :)

4. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I'm glad for you. Currently i'm 3rd week on T increase after infection. I think it goes bit lower in volume very slowly - my anxiety wishes it already was gone to previous level or sound but I also start to care less. As long as it doesnt increase i'm going to be completely fine (hopefully I wont jinx it now !).

I had no fluid in ear. Just ottitis media/externa after ear syringing and messing with q-tips couple of days before that. If I could go in time and slap myself hard I would certainly do that.

Your story does give me a more hope, 3 months is a lot of time and my T sound is at similiar frequency :)
      Thank you for posting that!

On a sidenote T spiked for couple of seconds half an hour ago and I mentally shat myself :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      A couple things to remember: everyone's body is different! Some people heal more slowly/quickly than others. The underlying conditions/damage is also of varying degrees as well. Just because mine started fading at 2 months doesn't mean yours will. And if it doesn't, DONT PANIC! Your particular affliction may just need more time.

I also get fleeting loud T from time to time. When the constant T first started and I would experience the louder fleeting T, it would send me into an intense panic. Not now. I just relax, keep doing whatever activity I'm doing, and ride the wave.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Good on you ! I hope to be on the same way. (To healing ). My T is very low in some mornings. The question is : do you have any hearing lossand was it check beyond tge standard 8khz?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hearing test was not done above 8kHz. All hearing below that was within normal range.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I don't mean to come off as a snob in any way, but audio is my profession and I take great care in protecting my ears (and did so even before the T).

I do not have the equipment to do a standardized hearing test on myself, but I do have the knowledge and experience to tell you that from 8kHz-20kHz my hearing range is within normal limits and very close between my left ear and right ear. I have several methods of verifying this as I use a DAW (digital audio workstation) daily and I am CONSTANTLY looking at frequency analyzers, phase relationships, L & R balance, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    9. melfreeman08
      Blah

melfreeman08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      I have a similar story. I was an anxious, depressed mess when T entered my life 7 weeks ago. But once I found a doctor two weeks ago, and changed the mental mindset surrounding my T (basically ignoring it and getting on with my life) my T has drastically changed. The volume, pitch and level are really low, almost to where I have to strain to hear it. I know that there will be good days and bad days, but to all the newbies out there- I promise you will get through it and it will get better. Just take it day by day. I hope to post my success story very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    10. iamgrmm2

iamgrmm2 Member

Me too! Last week my T started and it was blaring it happed during my vacation. What's worse is that i'm 15. I read A lot on this site and I WAS ANXIOUS since music is my love and passion i can't imgine a life where in I can't play my guitar or even Dj/Produce. A week later, It started to switch ears yet the sound is more bearable and less noticeable. I'm happy because of that and now I can continue my normal life again. It bothers me less now. I just keep myself distracted always to avoid the sound. Time does heal this mate. Hang in there silence will come back soon.

11. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Well my success story is a bit different,in fact after 2 month my tinnitus if anything is louder today,but my mind is calm.This improvement happened gradually,some days it goes lower,but my head stays level.But as they say,take each day at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    12. iamgrmm2

iamgrmm2 Member

Agree with you Craggy. For some reason T teaches us how to be patient and calm.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I'm glad this post has given some people hope. Yesterday was the first Saturday in a month that I didn't go into work (usually I work a normal M-F shift) and I didn't have much to do around the house. It was amazing to hear how much louder the T "seemed" just because my mind wasn't occupied and was able to focus on it.

However, the second I got my @$$ up and did something productive, it all but disappeared. If there is ANY positive to having T, it's that it can be a great motivator to be productive and get to all those little projects you've been neglecting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Nic1982

Nic1982 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/5/15
      Do you mind me asking how your T is now? Your story sounds similar to mine. Mine started 7 weeks ago but actually disappeared for 4 weeks (just fleeting T during this time) but it's now been back for a week. The ear infection was not cleared properly but since using antibiotic spray the otitis externa feels much better. I also suffer from sinus issues x

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hi Nic1982, it's the same. If I keep myself busy I don't notice it at all. Honestly, the only thing that rattles me now is the loud bursts of spontaneous tinnitus that I get. I get the classic "full ear/deafness/ loud tone" for anywhere from 5-20 seconds. When my constant T first started, I was getting them a lot, then they seemed to be less frequent, now they're picking up in frequency again (no pun intended). I try not to worry about it, but as you all know, that's very very difficult.

16. Dylan Blake
      Predatory

Dylan Blake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 27 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      YES! I could not agree more with this statement! it may seem like eternal torment but You are not stuck with this forever, eventually You will learn to or your brain will tune it out for You.

17. Cindy Wilson

Cindy Wilson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just signed up and this was the first post I read. My situation is very similar, and after having wax removed last week, although it didn’t totally resolve, I’m able to cope with it a lot better. Getting a hearing test next week. Good advice about not reading the horror stories, think I’ll avoid those.

18. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      That is very positive news. I found that when working it was less but resumed as soon as not working. It makes it difficult to focus or get the gumption to do things. I notice also that it affects my vision when it is very loud so it is nearly incapacitating. I have resorted to wearing two pair of glasses to overcome the intermittent astigmatism that goes with mine and can't work that way but my one pair of prescription lens don't help.