My Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by fishbone, Dec 16, 2017.

1. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi guys/gals, this post is from my experience and I wanted to share it with you folks.

I was in my friend's car and i had my iphone programmed to his car stereo. I was playing my songs and nothing was happening. So, I turned up the volume on his car's stereo. Nothing happened, I had set the volume to max and then nothing. I turned off my iphone and turned it on again. Then all of a sudden his bose stereo blasted the loudest sound ever(it was super loud, bose stereos are VERY LOUD) and it went on for 2 seconds or maybe 3. I was like damn, I guess I lost tons of hearing from this one and my ears felt very full and pain hit it badly.

Guys/Gals this has happened to me a lot and it's been accidental each time. My attitude towards this matter was like this and is like this: I am not going to dwell on this issue, I accept more hearing loss, if it becomes like this. In the previous times I never had a spike or anything. I can say that keeping my self calm and not panicking was the key. Today after this accident happened, I felt sick and felt like throwing up. It was a shock to my system, I re-gained control and everything has been fine.

In the past, when I had these accidents, I kept myself calm and did not scare myself or get too ramped up over it. Some of you use pred after such accidents (that's ok and it's your choice and I am not advising or against it). The sound of the stereo was SUPER loud and my ears and still very tender from it. I will just ride it out and remain calm, so far I don't feel any difference in my hearing, or tinnitus levels at all.

I think when such accidents happen. it just shocks our brains and adds anxiety and can make us have a spike. Tinnitus is a glitch or sound that comes from inside, so it can all play a role together.

This is my experience and I report and share what I have learned, in my 30 years with tinnitus. Not everyone is the same and your experience might be different. My point is this, when you have an accident..try to remain calm, panicking and stress/anxiety can make it much worst. If you seek a dr or go to er, that's your choice. Do what makes you feel comfortable, I am not advising...just sharing my experience :)

I wanted to add this, those that have hyperacusis can have a different experience as well. No 2 people are the same, but I was just stressing how stress/anxiety can be so bad for our system and can just create spikes and annoy our tinnitus.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @fishbone,
      Our ears will come across loud sounds and ones out of the blue.
      You are doing the right thing not reacting to it
      and don't react to the sound.
      Your positivity in your posts are a great support to others who are struggling and give them hope.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @fishbone....

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Hi @fishbone
      So sorry that happened to you. It’s good your T and hearing weren’t affected.
      I do agree with what you are saying and take all it onboard. It’s a good mindset to have.

My balloon popping in car incident yesterday caused an immediate increase in T with multiple tones (usually only get very high) and muffled humming/whoosh weirdness in one ear. The same ear that went weird during my recent other previous trauma, which I didn’t freak out about either. I’ve since determined overnight that Im not really hearing some lower frequencies in that ear. Hoping they will return as last time the ultra highs went but slowly returned. T is still raised but manageable.

I was driving and so concentrating. My reaction was like damn that’s loud but didn’t freak out. So I don’t feel my reaction was the cause, but it was instant. I’ve kept my anxiety in check as much as possible and not taking benzos.

I did feel that if there was a chance of getting something ie pred, that might help, then I should try or potentially regret it. If it is permanent then I will have to try and adapt. In the 1.5yrs since onset my once very mild T has worsened/become unpredictable overall and that’s all been within the last 12months whilst trying to prevent it.
      I try not to think how it might be at 30years like you, if no treatment has been found.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is raised compared to your baseline. Is it quieter than it was yesterday?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had these accidents
      Accidents can be quite scary for people that have tinnitus and very bad hearing issues. I have accidentally kicked glass dishes on the floor that were super loud. I have accidentally turned up the volume to max in cars with premium sound systems. I have accidentally had volumes maxed with ear buds. I cannot 100% say if my hearing got much worst, mine are already beyond horrible.

All I can say is that, I never dwelled on it. If my hearing to worst, i'd just ask people to repeat themselves. I have no shame in doing that. If my tinnitus got louder, I'd make more use of nature sounds. Back in the days, I did dwell on it and it just ruined my days and made me feel horrible. I don't have a care free attitude towards this, but what is done is already done. No need to re-live it and make myself suffer more from it. Re-living it is very easy to do and I have done it myself, so I am not perfect. My posts are based on my experience and I like to share stuff and hopefully It can help people. I share experiences and the lessons that It taught me. I wish I could have read posts like these close to 30 years ago and avoided the horrible mess, my ears have become today.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer i will respond in the other thread, don’t want to hijack @fishbone’s. But yes higher slightly but only had 4 hours sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I just do not know how you have the mental fortitude. I am aware that I need to stop worrying, stop being anxious. But I just cannot. It is so stressful with hyperacusis. And after having a loud exposure last week it just feels like every little thing hurts me. Being right next to the microwave when it was done sent me into immediate pain from its beeps. It feels like a dagger in a still healing wound. And now my good day (rare btw) has vanished. Very disappointing. What can I do but quit my job? But I need the money...

Everyday is emotionally exhausting because I can never have a good day. I cannot just wear ear protection all day like some folks. It makes my T spike like crazy.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I totally get your frustration. I was there before and know how you feel. The fear, scare of tinnitus and sounds can be scary. Adding hyperacusis on top of it, it makes it real hard. I know the pain, I do. It takes time to deal with it. It took me probably a good 3-5 years, before I started to live a normal life again. It took, that long because I didn't even know what hyperacusis was.

Once I figured it out, I simply got it treated and it made my life much easier. Time is crucial, when it comes to tinnitus. Support is very important. Distraction is very important. All of these elements count and can contribute to our coping and adaptation.

Don't be too hard on yourself, know that even I was once in your shoes and know just how hard it can be. My life is still very hard, but I tell my obstacles to go sit in the corner and don't come out, till I say so :)

Take care...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @fishbone I’m sure you must have posted this before, but how did you get your H treated?

11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @glynis and @fishbone I do appreciate your loving help and encouragement.
      There are many times when my courage and fortitude dips.
      Thank you both so much.
      Jazzer
      xx

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's all about paying it forward. You do good in life and you get rewarded :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am going to go to walmart and buy socks/clothing for under privileged children and will donate it. Life can reward you, if you show compassion and love towards those that have it worst, than you do.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok Ok, I have some new news to share with you folks. I was at my martial arts class yesterday and my teacher chose me, to do one of the routines. I am one of his best students and I was ok to volunteer. He basically did a move and I had no idea he was going to do this. He basically slapped me by accident of course ,with the palm of his hand on my very very bad ear that has the largest amount of hearing loss and the more intense tinnitus. After I was slapped, I almost froze internally, but I did not show the class my pain and kinda played it cool.

After the accident happened, I was like ....Damn, I know my hearing could get worst and my ringing could get louder. I was a bit nervous. I thought about for the first time ever, maybe getting PRED, but I did not(Many here do get PRED and that is their choice, I just don't do it). I just let it go, I let the scary emotions and negative feelings just go. I wanted to confront my teacher, but it was an accident and he did not mean to harm or hurt his student. Today is a new day and its been 24 hours and I have not seen a new spike or more of a hearing loss.

In my posts, I am using myself and reporting results and just letting you know that things CAN be ok and we CAN be ok. We could possibly go through accidents, but how we ACT is vital to how we can feel in the future :) I have been through some horrible accidents lately and it has not been fun at all.....

Be well folks

• Like Like x 1
    15. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Experiencing anxiety from a recent exposure to loud noise and this post is really helping me right now! Even as I can feel the anxiety course through my body and begin to affect my thoughts etc, this post is helping to reassure and ground me somewhat! Thanks @fishbone

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am glad that the post(s) are helping you. I have had quite a few accidents in the past 2 weeks and they have been loud and could have sent me to deeper pains. The slapping in the ears for me was the real bad one. I felt that I lost my balance and it was real bad. The volume going MAX in the car with bose speakers almost made me throw up, but I managed to keep it together.

No one is perfect and accidents will happen, we need to try to just keep it calm and not dedicate TONS of emotions and energy to it. It's never easy but being mindful and relaxed really goes a long way. It's a struggle and I face it daily myself, as I focus on writing this very post.....I have a crazy loud screaming tea kettle trying to annoy me. Yes, I hear it loud and clear but I am not giving it the emotional response it wants... I am on no meds and my tinnitus is HELL and loud 2 4 7 and never fades or gets better. So I have no days off and it's hard 24-7, but my mentality/attitude on this matter and about life in general is what keeps me going and thriving...

Be well :)

• Like Like x 1