My Experiences with Anti-Depressants Thus Far, Need Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by cviechec, Dec 14, 2017.

1. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Hi everyone, I got to the point in my life where I had to take something to try to help with coping. Well, I took mirtazapine first and it helped with the ringing a good bit. Unfortunately the side effects of sleeping way too much dissuaded me from continued use. As I have heard good things about amitriptyline, I asked my doctor to let me try that. I was on it for 2-3 days before I noticed a worsening of my tinnitus. I stopped and have gone back on mirtazapine. I'm hoping it's only a spike and I haven't permanently worsened my condition.

Not sure what I'm looking for here with this post, I'm just hoping that it goes back down, the level it's at right now is not something I can tolerate long term..

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      When you start a AD medication its best to look in to what you want to get out of it.

For help sleeping
      Anxiety
      Depression
      Reduce tinnitus

Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline are the best two.
      Any medication that works on the brain can cause a spike but should settle over 2 - 6 weeks as your brain gets use to the meds .
      Anxiety can spike and suicidal feelings can happen while you adjust so
      I would recommend a weekly meeting with your doctor over the first 6 weeks and to have a few diazipam so if you get edgy you and take one just for the first few days.
      Let us know how you get on
      Love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers

Hi Glynis, thanks for the reply. Yes, as I understand that over the course of a few weeks amitriptyline may reduce my tinnitus. As it stands now, however, I noticed immediate (first couple days) results with Mirtazapine/Remeron compared to an immediate worsening effect of Amitriptyline. I'm primarily posting hoping others have had similar experience(s) and the spike has subsided once they discontinued use.

For those reasons I'm going to just go back to Remeron.

• Like Like x 1
    4. lillejulie
      Panicky

lillejulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25/10- out of the blue, maybe stress, 31/10 night club
      Im also one week into remeron, really hoping for some changes. Now i can finally sleep at night, yey, and just hoping some relief in my tinnitus very soon as well.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      How are you doing on remeron?

6. lillejulie
      Panicky