My Intermittent Bouts of Whooshing Pulsatile Tinnitus Are Triggered by Yawning / Burping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jodie Sheppard, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Jodie Sheppard

Jodie Sheppard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

I have suffered with a whooshing in my ear for about 4 years now. It is intermittent and only ever lasts for 3-8 seconds and if I am honest it has no real impact on my life (I realise I am lucky for this to be the case). I have always assumed it was some sort of tinnitus but never really explored it further as, like I said, the impact it had on my life was minimal and quite often weeks will pass without me noticing it.

Recently my 15-year-old daughter has started to suffer with an intermittent ringing in her ears and whilst I was doing some research for her I discovered that the whooshing I experienced could be pulsatile tinnitus and should be investigated further!

My GP has referred me for an MRI scan and has prescribed me a nasal steroid spray. He also asked me to make a note of when I heard the whooshing. And now that I have started to do this I have noticed that I hear the whooshing always immediately after yawning or burping! I do often suffer with ear infections on the same side and that ear often feels full (but has very little ear wax).

Does anyone else suffer from the yawning/burping thing? It’s bizarre!