My Likely Cause: I'm a Transcriptionist Who Has Used Earphones for Work for Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TekD, Feb 7, 2021.

1. TekD

TekD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. I came across this site last night, I think probably whilst searching info on supplements that could help. I’ve had tinnitus for many years and after a hearing test that showed no hearing loss I was pretty much left to live with it. Not quite sure how and when it started but has progressively got worse.

I am a transcriptionist so have to use earphones for my work. Have done this for around 10 years but even before that was an audio typist, so that’s a likely cause. Also, I have suffered with extreme anxiety and OCD for many years but never succumbed to the usual prescription drugs for this. I went for CBT which helped with the OCD but not the tinnitus. Just to add to this, I have really been struggling to stay asleep and waking up in the middle of the night for no reason or just waking up very early after just five hours’ sleep.

I’ve suffered with acid reflux for many years and have been on Omeprazole for over 10 years! Everywhere you look, it says these shouldn’t be used long term but if I don’t use them I am in so much pain and have to go back to them.

I read just recently that drugs such as Omeprazole, Lansoprzole actually can make tinnitus worse. I don’t know exactly why. Could be maybe that they interfere with Magnesium absorption. I have seen numerous articles on how magnesium helps with sleep problems, so last week ordered some 100mg elemental chelated Magnesium glycinate. I took my first capsule last night. I slept a whole uninterrupted 8 hours! I was absolutely shocked when I saw the time this morning. I don’t know whether I’m imagining it but I also feel the tinnitus is a little better today. Mornings are usually really deafening for me so am pleased but confused as to why :)

Has anyone else tried this? I’ve tried CBD drops which a lot of people swear by for tinnitus. They helped to relax me but did nothing for the tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Welcome to the forum @TekD

You have had tinnitus for quite some time and you're experienced with it. The main cause for tinnitus becoming worse or causing it, once tests have shown there is no underlying medical condition or hearing loss responsible, is exposure to loud noise. This also includes the wearing of headphones, earbuds, headset or wearing any type of earphones.

Your work as a Transcriptionist requires you to wear earphones for long periods. Unfortunately, I believe this is the cause for your tinnitus increasing. I have had noise induced tinnitus for many years that was caused by headphones. I correspond and counsel people with this type of tinnitus. The majority of these people acquired tinnitus and hyperacusis from using headphones, earbuds or headset. It is my belief the only way to stop your tinnitus getting worse, is to stop using earphones even at low volumes.

Sorry to be so sobering because, I understand this is a difficult decision for you.

Take care
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TekD

TekD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TekD

TekD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,

Yes, I know you’re right :( I just don’t know what else I can do though. I think when things start opening up again I’ll look into something else.

Thanks

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know you know the reason for the tinnitus increasing and understand your situation. Another thing to consider. If you are using a laptop that has a spinning internal hard drive and fan, or computer base unit with internal spinning hard drive and fan. The high pitch whining sound of the spinning hard drive and fan, can make noise induced tinnitus worse for some people. This is well document on another thread in this forum. I am affected but now use a laptop with SSD and has no internal fan. I also changed my computer to one that has a SSD and fitted with very quiet internal fan, and have no more problems.

If you are able to use small desktop speakers, to listen back to the audio when doing transcription might help.

All the best,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TekD

TekD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, Michael. No, my desktop is an all in one with no spinning disk or fan. Just the nature of my work where some people are talking on mics or via mobile with bad signal and distortions. Recently had a whole 1 hour interview with one speaker actually in an airport underneath the airport loud speaker! I was in pain for two days following that. I actually had to complain about this particular one as it was just ridiculous to ask someone to transcribe this, tinnitus or not. I am definitely going to try with the speakers as I can’t think of anything else I can do at the moment in lockdown. Thanks for your advice.

• Like Like x 1