My Pulsatile Tinnitus Just Got Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beste, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hi All,

I have pulsatile tinnitus for almost 4 months now but it was never very loud and could be masked easily. But last night, out of the blue it got so much worse like I can hear it over everything like masking sounds even with ear plugs.

I just waited it to be gone in the morning but it is still here. I can stop it almost completely when I press my jugular. What should I do now? It is more like blood flow voice and I also can feel it.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Beste,

I'm sorry to hear that your pulsatile tinnitus has gotten so much worse lately.

Did anything happen recently that could have caused it to change, such as a new diet, new medication, etc.?
      You could try cutting certain foods out of your diet to see if it would make any difference; foods containing sodium, caffeine, or lots of sugar have been known to make pulsatile tinnitus worse in many people.

Have you been to the doctor for your PT, and if so, have you had any tests? What tests have you had?

My suggestion would be to first make some dietary changes, then try to relax, cut down on stress, and observe your condition for a short while. Then, if you still have the increased PT, you might try going to a doctor to be checked out. You could start with an ENT, and if that doctor isn't able to help you, consult a neurologist or neurotologist.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hi @Karen
      Thank you for the quick reply. I do not take any different meds recently but I have taken so much sugar for the last 3 days. Maybe that is why. But do you know if it can cause a permanent worsening? My T just got so much worse last night and it has not gotten any good yet.

4. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sugar makes my PT worse. I make sure I don't eat fruit or drink sugary drinks a few hours before bedtime or else I'll hear loud throbbing all night.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Do you guys also feel your PT? My T is not rhytmic though. It is more like I can hear my blood flow in my right ear and I can feel it like something crawling there!

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Beste

No, I don't think that sugar would cause your PT to permanently worsen. You could try cutting back for a few days, to give it time to get out of your system. Then, see if you notice any difference.

Have you had any tests yet for your PT, such as an MRI or CT scan? If you still don't notice it getting any better, it might be wise to get checked out by a doctor, to be sure you don't have any conditions such as a dehiscence, or other operable cause.

Have you recently gained or lost any weight? Had a baby recently? Excess fluid in the body is one (of many) possible causes.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      No, I have not given a birth to a baby but I my gain some weight since I'm in a holiday for almost a month now. I need to check it.

I never had any test for my pt. I had everything you can imagine from the onset of my regular T but I had no pt at that time. My mom just said there is no point in seeing any other doc since there will be no cure for it. I feel really depressed at the moment.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bestie,

Please don't be depressed! It is possible your PT may go away on its own, since it is so new.

The good news is that some forms of PT are curable -- if a specific cause can be found. Take a look at Whooshers.com, and you'll see that there are a lot of causes for this condition, and quite a few success stories. It just depends on what started your PT.

In my case, I had regular tinnitus for many years, and it was mild. Then, my PT started after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. I've had PT for six years now (one ear only), and I have learned to live with it. You may find, too, that after awhile, when yours settles down again, it may be easier to live with.

I wish you well, and hope that your PT begins to settle down soon!

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hi @Karen it is me again. First of all, I just want to thank you so much for being here for us for all the time. It means so much!

I want to ask a couple of questions. I just figured out that I can completely stop my T when I press my jugular or I can change my whooshing sound with my jaw movement. And I also can mostly eliminate when I plug my ear with my finger or put some cotton in it. I really suspect a vein causes this trouble. What do you think?

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Beste,

Well, I know that there are a lot of people with pulsatile tinnitus who are able to quiet the sound when pressing on a vein. So, yes, it is possible that it could be venous. If you decide to go to a doctor about it, you could ask about having an MRI, along with MRA (arteries) and MRV (veins) with and without contrast. It might help to determine if there is some problem with a vein or artery.

Some people have pulsatile tinnitus due to jaw problems. A dentist might be able to tell you if you have any of the symptoms of TMJ. Do you have a good dentist that you go to regularly?

It might be worth checking into, to see if a possible cause can be found.

Good luck, and if you go that route, I hope you are able to get some answers.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @Beste Gosh I hope you write back !!! did your PT get any better ? Or go back to being subtle ?

12. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @Karen thats the reason why I’m so scared to to start taking a beta blocker !! I was given metropolol for high pulse due to anxiety I don’t have a heart condition ... I’ve had regular T for years and developed PT in 2016 and I’m terrified it’s going to make it worse

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Veronica,

I can understand your concerns about the beta blocker. I was put on a beta blocker, too (Toprol XL), which is basically the same as metropolol. I already had PT at that point while I was taking it; I'm not sure whether or not it made it any worse. I finally got myself off the Toprol XL, and it took several months to taper off the drug.

Is there anything else you could take for the anxiety, other than the metropolol? What about magnesium?

14. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @Karen I’m not sure, but really the problem is not the anxiety, but the high pulse it gives me ☹️ My PCP is holistic/ meds and she has mentioned the magnesium ... I’m just too scared to take anything it’s so ridiculous

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Veronica -- Magnesium is very mild, and is calming. It might result in lowering your pulse; it won't affect your tinnitus, either! I take it every night, and it just helps me feel calm and relaxed.

It might be worth a try! It's not a drug; just a calming supplement.

16. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @Karen thank you so much for all the feed back ... I read you had your PT for a long time ... has it gotten worse over the years ? Or has it stayed the same ?

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Veronica,

Yes, I have had PT for almost 8 years now. No, it has not gotten any worse; it has stayed about the same -- or perhaps it is even a little milder (or that may be my perception of it, because I've gotten more acclimated to it).\

18. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @Karen is yours on all the time or if you are in a certain position?

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Veronica, Mine is there all the time. During the day, I don't notice it much unless I am in a very quiet environment. It's at night that I have the most problem with it. So, to cope, I don't go to bed until I am just about ready to fall asleep. And I take magnesium about an hour before bedtime, to help me relax.

I also have regular tinnitus in the same ear. That is a constant hissing sound that never varies.