My Story — Tinnitus from Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JayKay8, Oct 21, 2016.

1. JayKay8
      No Mood

JayKay8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      constant since 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DJing, music prod'n
      Between 1992 and 2012 I was a DJ and electronic music producer. I spent lots of time in loud nightclubs, dance parties and sitting in front of my studio speakers at home. For about 10 years my T intermittently turned itself on and off (warning), and then in 2013 it switched on and hasn't turned off since. I will never forget that day. I was working in the studio at home writing dance music and working on a particular distorted sound and probably had the volume a bit louder than I should have and then i knew i'd done something to my ears. After that i had a headache for three days, tension in my head and ears then the ringing started. It knocked me about and I couldn't sleep for a while but thankfully the volume started to decrease and my brain stopped listening to it as much. I slept with white noise on for the next 12 months and eventually I could sleep without it.

How is it now? Well, prior to this post my T has been very manageable and most days I would forget about it, which is great. But last Friday I went to the movies and saw the remake of 'The Magnificent Seven' (no earplugs) and the gun battles were just too loud. I knew this as I was watching it, I knew I had earplugs in my car, yet I did nothing about it. Big mistake. *I STILL HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL & KEEP PROTECTING MY EARS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE*

So yes I have had a T 'spike' and all the original negative thoughts, suicidal thoughts have returned. I have had a few 'spikes' over the last three years and they all settled down eventually, so am just waiting for that. I am using xanax & codeine to cope with the ringing and the pain. I assume I have hyperacusis as well as I'm very sensitive to sound. Anyway thx for reading my story...

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Is it just me or are movie theaters much louder than they used to be? I was surprised at one recently. I didn't have earplugs so I got some tissue paper from the bathroom, rolled it up and McGivered my own. Course they don't work great but if you've got nothing else they do cut the noise a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      If you have previous noise damage and T - it's a good idea to store some prednisone at home and do a 10 days course with taper down - start as soon as you feel you had noise damage
      Steroids do work but only in the few days after trauma
      Also LLLT works in the few days after trauma

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Of course no ENT will give you steroids as prevention all you have to do is visit an ENT tell them you had a fireworks explode on you then on purpose click late on the audiogram sound scale , especially around 4khz that will work fine to make it look like you had major hearing loss

You don't want to loose precious time getting to an ENTs after trauma at least that's my strategy

My prednisone stock has a 3 year expiry date and its in the fridge

5. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      @JayKay8
      I'm sorry for you! That's really a mess. I really hope you get better soon. Even though I'm also struggling with my very loud and high tinnitus at the moment which makes me hard to believe it for myself, you will habituate again and and also your hyperacusis will vanish.
      I wish you all the best!!

@Rings-a-Bell
      I absolutely agree! Cinemas today are absolutely too loud! One of the reason why I do not go to it anymore.

6. Dante500

Dante500 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2009
      I also have T caused by electronic music... a few hours in front on loud-ass speakers, the band was Dirtyphonic, maybe youve heard :) Anyway, im having spikes now and then and they always go back to normal after a month or so.

7. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The IMAX theaters are way too loud. I went to go see Deadpool before I got T and I found myself covering my ears. My T was mostly like caused by listening to music since I was 8. Damn you EDM and future bass music.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JayKay8
      No Mood

JayKay8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      constant since 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DJing, music prod'n
      thanks for the replies =] I haven't heard of prednisone, i'll look it up. Sometimes on the train i hear teenagers with their head phones on way too loud and i just wanna shake them & say 'turn it down! trust me, you will be 40 one day!'

9. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Prednisone is a steroid that reduces inflammation by suppressing your immune system. Some pretty dangerous stuff but it works fine. Just don't take it long term. Wish I was one of those teenagers. I would have listened. I'm only 15 with T...:)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JayKay8
      No Mood

JayKay8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      constant since 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DJing, music prod'n
      That medication sounds heavy & i doubt they prescribe it in Oz.
      I don't think i will be suppressing my immune system at any time soon.
      At my worst i use xanax. Basically any type of benzo gets me thru.
      Anything that slows the nervous system down reduces the ringing.
      Also yesterday i took 5 specific supplements at once & my ringing seemed to go down a bit:
      Zinc x2, Gingko Biloba x2, fish oil x1.

11. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes but it works if you have noise induced trauma to your ears recently. I haven't go sick yet. The only bad thing about it is I had to take 6 pills in one day and they taste horrible. Be careful with those drugs. They are very addictive. Of course it's good to take some every once in a while for a good night rest. Try adding some magnesium and B12 as well. Keep it up with the fish oil and Zinc. Those are important substances for repairing damaged neurons.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JayKay8
      No Mood

JayKay8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      constant since 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DJing, music prod'n
      UPDATE: its been 3 weeks since the spike and thank god it has settled a bit. It is still more sensitive than the way it was before the spike so I have to still be very careful. I also have TMJ (jaw) which seems to be worse when the T is worse so will get that checked out. When I'm out at dinner I can't have anyone on my left side yapping in that ear either so I always sit accordingly (left is worse than right), or wear ear plugs but they kind of 'dampen' the experience of being out to dinner.