My Story: Severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis — I Can Barely Leave My House

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ravala, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Ravala

Ravala Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hi everyone. I'm Ravala and I am writing from Spain. I'm sorry if my English is not good enough.

My tinnitus started when I was 21, maybe because of using headphones for a long time.

Now I'm 30 and I am in deep depression without desire to live.

The first two years with tinnitus I was able to lead a normal life but with the passage of time, the tinnitus has worsened and also the hyperacusis. Perhaps I should have protected my ears more since the tinnitus appeared, but for different reasons I have been exposed to noises that have been making my condition worse.

For 6 years I have not been able to have a personal or professional life, I have not been able to travel or live experiences of a girl who is in her 20s.

Today, I can barely leave my house and the future is not very encouraging. Years ago I I tried TRT but it only made my hyperacusis worse.

I don't know what else to do, I hardly feel like fighting, I know I have to move on for my family, but it is a terrible suffering and I don't know how long I will be able to endure it.

I know that in this forum there are people who will understand my situation, I just need to vent.

• Hug Hug x 12
    2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m sorry you’re also in the same boat as many of us here. Is your hyperacusis the loudness kind, or the pain (stabbing/burning) kind?

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Hi Ravala. I have nothing helpful to say other than please know you are not alone. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ravala

Ravala Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      When I hear sounds, I feel like knives are thrust into my ears. This is how I would describe my hyperacusis.

The worst thing is that the sound makes my tinnitus worse.

I have discomfort behind my right ear, and upon palpation a kind of lump is noted. I have mentioned this to the doctor but he says that it is a minor adenopathy, that it has nothing to do with my hearing problem. In any case, I am willing to insist on it so that that lump can be checked.

5. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Dear Ravala,

To some, life can be very challenging. Like many here, I also suffer from tinnitus and hyperacusis, although moderately. I have to avoid many social situations and it took a long while and a lot of support to adapt to this new situation (though I'm not housebound). I admire your resilience for enduring these many years with these conditions.

There are others here who mostly can't leave their house anymore, so it would certainly help if you can connect with them. Humans are social creatures so the loneliness that hyperacusis causes needs to be dealt with in some way (if I had to resort to it, I would take a video chat with the option to just write, so seeing a face but no sound as I'd have difficulty with loudspeaker sounds). Some of our severe hyperacusis sufferers learn and discuss science as a distraction. You should certainly have a look at the research subforum in here to check where we are currently with potential treatments. It gives many hope or at least sort of a timeline. Some of the currently promising drugs may be available in 3-5 years and more will come out later.

Because I can't travel by plane (car is possible with headphones) I sort of got into "online travelling", that is travelling the world with Google Street View. It's pretty crazy what you can see just with Google Street View and to me it feels quite satisfying (and is also more environmentally friendly).

For example:
      https://www.google.com/maps/@-44.50...4!1s8uVnJ_ZrGt8RdNjc0uodVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's just a random place in New Zealand. Looks great to me! If I were housebound, I'd meet up with others in a chat and make virtual travels (of course it would be even better if I could live together with other hyperacusis sufferers) or even work together on some project, just what keeps me motivated.

Otherwise meditation and online reading keep me afloat.

How low is your sound tolerance? For what do you have to use earplugs / earmuffs?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ravala

Ravala Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Thanks for your answer.

The truth is that books are also of great help to me but sometimes it is difficult to read with tinnitus.

Regarding earplugs, I use them to go outside and to do many household chores. I only remove them when I am alone in my house, which is most of the day since I live alone.

My hyperacusis has gotten so bad that even the sound of the computer is annoying. I will probably have to buy a tablet and use the computer less.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      There are also special quiet computers. Or, use long cables to put the computer tower far away from where you write and have your screen (maybe even in another room).

8. john2507
      Fine

john2507 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018, got worse in 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      You can get a passively cooled laptop if the fan noise is bothering you too much. They are completely silent. The MacBook Air is the first one off the top of my head but I'm sure there are Windows ones too.

9. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      I am so sorry for what you are going through. You definitely are not alone. If you can though, be grateful you live by yourself and it sounds as if where you live is quiet so you get some relief. I am jealous!!! I am not that lucky...

I'm sorry about your physical pain with hyperacusis. Mine is tinnitus with hyperacusis, but just extreme sound sensitivity, even my own voice can set my ears off... I hope you find some comfort on this forum.

10. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes you are not alone. We understand your suffering. Recently I suddenly lost hearing on my left ear and the result is a roaring and rumbling tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis. Even my wife's soft voice hurts. Be positive that better days will come back. Hyperacusis tend to fade over time. Take care. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1