My Strange Tinnitus Type. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by invictus, Jun 29, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash/ Ototoxic drugs/
      Hello,
      I've been checking this site quite often even before becoming a member here, however never decided to make my first introduction post since I believed I would have found the cause of my tinnitus by now.. Unfortunately I haven't. Being 6 months in, I've no idea what is causing it.
      So my story goes like this... I was involved in a heavy car accident in december, 2014. I wasn't heavily injured but I had a typical neck injury - a whiplash. Approx. 3 weeks after the accident, I got tinnitus which never went away. It is there from the moment I'm awake to when I fall asleep, like I guess for many of you, folks :( :huganimation:. . I thought my T could be neck related, but I had manual therapy sessions, saw a skilled chiropractor, had many sessions there, tried accupuncture .. other than that I tried many natural supplements such as ginko biloba, b vitamins, magnesium chloride, valerian root, melatonin for sleep.. I've been given a prescription for corticosteroids, after 5 months having had tinnitus.. methylprednisone didn't do nothing for me. And I tried Betaserc (Serc) even though I've seen in many threads here it hasn't been shown effective in treating tinnitus. It didn't help me either.
      Back to my symptoms now. I have no hearing loss (my audiogram was perfect). Whenever I lightly stick my fingers to my eardrums I can feel the trembling sensation and some constant moving, like if I could hear my own bloodflow. I also feel vibrations. Sometimes my head feels full of vibrations. Always when I stick my fingers I can feel/hear that. Sort of like if I was experiencing a turbulent bloodflow symptoms. I have no idea why I hear that trembling and what this particular symptom means. When I plug my ears I hear 2 electrical sounds that are changing, and a static sound and a white noise sound aand a different frequency cricket like sound in my right ear, this sound is more steady and doesn't change as much as in my bad left ear. On the outside I constantly hear hissing that only shower can mask and occasional ringing that comes and goes in my right ear. My tinnitus seems to be totally ear, vascular(??) related (?) as I dont perceive it in head.
      I had MRI, MRI of cervical spine, EEG, neck arteries/veins ultrasound (doppler), thyroid exam, and all came back normal with the exception of cervical spine results which showed some degenerative changes and some very slight disc herniations.. Ever since I learnt this, I've been treating my neck (as mentioned above) ; I also use TENS which eases the pain and relaxes muscles and apparently stimulates the nerves. My neck never hurt me in the first place.
      I am waiting for MRA/MRV exam, and will keep you updated on what it showed. I am afraid those exams don't show anything as the health system isn't very advanced in my country..
      I'm also planning to start using Vastarel (trimetazidine) first and if no changes, Retigabine( Trobalt) as my last resort.
      I am very desperate...
      And I thank especially Karen, JimH and DannyBoy in advance, they've already provided me with a lot of useful information and support.. Thank you.
      I'd be very grateful for any opinions, for any tips and suggestions..
      Thank you all..

• Hug Hug x 8
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Invictus, and thanks for your kind words!

You did a really good job of describing your symptoms, and I totally sympathize with you. It sounds like you have a combination of pulsatile (vascular) tinnitus like mine, and regular tinnitus. I have a pulsating, vibrating sound and a hissing sound, too.

Because of the nature of your injury from the car accident, there could be some type of internal problem that hasn't yet been detected. I'll be interested to hear the results of your MRA/MRV exam, and hope that it does show something. If not, there are other tests that can be performed. Also, you could consider sending a copy of your scans to another doctor for evaluation, to see if they can find anything. Suggestions from Whooshers.com include sending your scans to a neurointerventional radiologist for evaluation.

Don't give up; I believe things will improve for you. I've had mine for five years now, and I have never found the cause, but I am coping much better. Mine has calmed down with time, so that I am able to function more normally again.

Perhaps others on this forum will have additional suggestions for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @invictus,.. I'm glad to see that you finally got around to posting your story! I know that you've already read many of the threads and posts on the forum. So that you already know that there is hope and some promising things on the horizon. We all need hope in order to be able to cope when we're in a very bad situation.

That said, remember when you're having a bad day, that you're never alone and that we're all in this together!

I like the saying, "The sun shall rise even after the darkest of nights." I also believe it...:huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you think mra/mrv without using contrast will do? They don't want to use dye for some reason, say i'm too young and there's a chance of having a stroke. And they are not taking me seriously. But I am sure mine is pulsatile of some kind and I want answers. Any opinion much appreciated.

5. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel the trembling and vibrations all the time...

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi inv, I had an MRA with out contrast, Dr said they didn't need contrast to see a blockage. In my case though I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease, I can't have any type of dye/contrast injected with out damaging my kidneys further.
      Did you schedule the MRA yet?

Keep use posted on how the MRA/MRV turns out.:huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gary , thank you very much for your message. Yes, I have it in 2 days, and get the results next week. I will surely keep you posted on how MRA/MRV turned out. Thank you for some useful info on dye.
      And thank you for the support. :huganimation:

8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Just to give you a heads up, when you have the MRA they put a collar like device around you're neck, it is not bad at all though, I am 200 pounds and being a male have an adams apple, so the collar fit snug against my throat, it was only a 15 minute test. A female should have no problem with the collar device. Any more questions or comment just post away, that's what we are here for..

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Gary, I already gathered some info on how this procedure is going to be and I think I got it all now. I've been told that MRA is extremely loud, so I'll put some foam earplugs in my ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      All the best , we are here for you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Aighton
      Curious

Aighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      I think this is bloodflow in the fingers your hearing. I can also feel it sometimes when I simply put 2 finger tips over eachother.

12. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it's sadly inside, very turbulent..

13. Aighton
      Curious

Aighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Oh I thought you could only hear it when you put your fingers inside your ears :oops:
      When you plug your ears you also hear trembling?

14. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. Aighton
      Curious

Aighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Maybe the MRA/MRV exam will show what the problem is
      Let's hope it's getting better for us all Only time will tell

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @just1morething , thank your this very interesting article.. Especially this part :" A 2008 article in eMedicine, an online medical textbook, reports that dissection can occur as a result of trauma from a high-speed motor vehicle accident, sports injuries or even after yoga or overhead painting. Such dissections are among the most common causes of stroke in people younger than 50; a quarter of patients with a dissecting artery report pulsatile tinnitus." and we shall see.. I have mra performed tomorrow, and get the results the same week. Keep you updated!

18. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This article is also a perfect demonstration on how people with tinnitus are usually treated by their ENT doctors.. "Learn to live with it" without a proper evaluation in many cases. In my opinion, while doing standard tests, they should also listen to their ears, etc... depending on the type of tinnitus one has. I am really happy everything turned out well for this guy. He is one lucky guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      Thanks and good luck! A lot of us here are looking for solutions, not the "learn to live with it " response from most ENT's, which is pretty much worthless. I have some loud annoying hissing type sounds in my ears/head right now that I think are coming from someplace other than my ears. That's how I came across that article last night. I seen the part about motor vehicle accident and thought of you.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      No tips or suggestions just saying thank you for writing your story and offering support.

I was also in a big road traffic accident plus I have chronic sinusitis, may have been exposed to noise trauma so a perfect storm and been on a fair few prescription meds.

I don't even understand what mine is, I have white noise in my left ear, ringing in my right ear, aural fullness in both ears but mainly the right ear. I think I might also have hyperacusis as the last time I tried a busy supermarket the noises of the trolley wheels and people picking up salads had me running out the door in fear.

I know we are told to forget it amd live our lives as nothing to be done - told that by ENT and GP - really annoyed at ENT as I had only just got it and steroids might have worked if administer quickly enough, but hadn't found the forums at that point.

But like you I am having trouble excepting this as my new reality and am pretty frightened of it still.

I hope yours resolves as indeed I hope everyone's does, meanwhile rather than accepting it I seem to be waiting for a cure or treatment to turn up, but seems that may be some way off and also I'm not sure if one treatment will work for all as T and H seem so complex.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mra mrv came back normal
      im losing it

• Hug Hug x 4
    22. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I hear it too. My girlfriend said she heard something like that too. This seems normal and not indicative of anything. I can also hear the same sound when I clench my fist next to my hear.

As far as your tinnitus goes, it doesn't seem anything like out of the ordinary. Multiple noise types/frequencies are quite commonly reported here. No real reason to freak out.

So none of the test show anything (which is a good thing all things considered) then there is nothing obvious to fix or treat. I'm not keen on recommending supplements as they have not shown any effect in formal trial settings.

The only thing that seems to be bringing meaningful relief of tinnitus symptoms is retigabine which you already know about.

Hang in there.

23. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Be grateful, mine came back and showed I had a 70% blockage, had to have an endarterectoy..

24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Will trobalt even work for pulsatile tinnitus?

25. invictus
      No Mood

invictus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Garry, I am so sorry to hear that!:( I hope you are doing better now after surgery?:huganimation:
      What I meant is I was hoping that something treatable and non health-threatening would show up since my pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear has been getting worse. I have a constant pressure feeling in the left side of my head. I'm having a very hard time right now. I'm trying to stay positive.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      If there is a physical underlying cause then I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's awful...So no cure for them?

28. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Not really I think they're better off. The type of tinnitus is an actual self generated sound that is heard rather than abberant auditory activity in the brain. If you can shut off the sound then you make the pulsatile T go away. That'S a big if though.

29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, through surgery they can get rid of it then, I suppose?

30. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Provided you can pinpoint the exact location of the problem yes.