My Tinnitus Experience

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by intothewild, Sep 11, 2019.

1. intothewild

intothewild Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus came on rather quickly in 2013. I was under a lot of stress financially and on antidepressants and antianxiety meds as well as smoking cannabis frequently. I was also in a minor car accident at the time as well and I did visit a loud concert that year. I also developed vision changes. A sudden onset of floaters and flashes.

Unfortunately my doctor was sure it was a sinus infection and had me go through two rounds of antibiotics which did nothing. I kept going back with the same symptoms. I had MRIs, I saw an ENT, and a neurologist. Nothing could be found as the cause.

Only other symptoms were increasing neck and shoulder tension and pain. I had tendonitis and bursitis in my right shoulder and my right ear had significantly more ringing. My doctor just said I have overuse injuries from lifting and forward head posture. I also rode a motorcycle daily for 7 years and the wind and helmet really strained my neck and probably contributed to the tinnitus as well. Had a motorcycle accident 2015 with more whiplash.

Nowadays it's a daily battle to make it through a work day. Repeated lifting and poor posture seem to contribute to flare ups and I just have to lay down and suffer through the noise. I had to quit smoking cannabis as well as that caused the worst flare ups of these symptoms of joint pain, neck pain, facial numbness and intense roaring in my ears which was debilitating. Not sure why I developed these reactions perhaps a possible allergy over the years because I started getting red patches on my face.

Steps I take now are a cervical neck pillow, a mouth guard to sleep with for any TMJ issues, exercises for shoulders and back muscles, anti inflammatory drugs and supplements such as Turmeric, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Quercetin and a Multivitamin. I wish I could say I've seen improvement but I haven't. There are good days and bad days but not sure why. My neck and shoulder issues still plague me. If I place my fingers just under the bone behind my ears I can increase the volume of the tinnitus by pressing. I often get rhythmic tinnitus as I walk or run. It is very pulsatile and I hear it with my heartbeat. I don't believe the doctors that say it's hearing loss because of the physical relationship and the variation in intensity related to my physical pain and tension.

2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @intothwild -- I believe that description is classic for somatic tinnitus. Fortunately, various kinds of therapies can often help that. At least part of my tinnitus is somatic, and I recently ran across an exercise that's been working really well for me, and "may" be softening my tinnitus: -- The Simplest and Most Effective Exercise For Thoracic Extension

I think the above technique is almost a must for anybody who sits a lot, which puts a lot of tension on the upper back and neck areas. Which of course can extend down into the shoulders, TMJ, and on and on. I'm just a big believer in doing any kind of home self-help that will keep the whole uppper back and neck areas as nimble as possible, as it all can have an outsized influence on tinnitus loudness and/or intensity.

Take Care!

3. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm struggling with similar issues. I think the only way out is to make the neck much stronger.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      intothewild

intothewild Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the feedback. I will try the exercises and try to be consistent. Its hard some days you feel like giving up because you have to live with these symptoms. Its hard for me to imagine my ears not ringing at this point. I wont give up hope for relief.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I'm going to tag @Greg Sacramento here because I think he might have good practical steps for you; you seem to have a lot of somatic involvement and head/shoulder/neck issues, and he knows a lot about that.

I understand about cannabis being a double edged sword; I find it useful, at this time, but I am also on other medication which synergizes with it. Using cannabis or even CBD when I was otherwise unmedicated could often cause pretty unpleasant reactions.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @intothewild With having posture problems and whiplash, one problem can lead to others - all that you have mentioned.

TMJ relates to neck ( c spine - C1 -C2) pressure from muscle (sternocleidomastoid) injuries to regular T. Right internal carotid artery may be cause of P tinnitus in relation to behind ear, causing sinus and red patches on face. Sinus may be a problem, but it's blood flow, not sinus as cause of red patches on face.

To be sure, need to rule out a thyroid problem? Also do you at times feel grid in left eye. Pressure around eyes? A neck ultrasound, not a CT - may confirm which neck artery is responsible for PT. If it is an artery such as the right internal carotid, then there's meds that may help with blood flow.

For your regular T, continue being cautious with lifting, running and forward neck posture. Continue with not smoking as that will increase infections to both the oral cavity - soft palate and neck muscles.