My Tinnitus Is Screaming at Me!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Nov 21, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      :arghh:It's so loud! All day it's been loud and even worse this evening. Trying so hard to keep my panic down but it's close to impossible right now. I don't know how anyone lives like this.. I can't concentrate on my kids, my family or anything just this stupid sound screaming in my head..yesterday was so much better then today and never knowing how each day will go makes it even worse for me. The depression is seeping in at every corner..

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      How have you had T?

3. Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I meant how long?

4. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's going on about 4 weeks now. I know it's fairly new I'm just really having trouble on my bad days adjusting. I do have good days also though where it doesn't bother me hardly at all.. I know I should be grateful for that but the anxiety I feel coupled with this is wearing me down.

5. Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      It took me over a month to feel better. I gave up coffee, caffine, cut down on salt and sugar. Some people don't agree that you need to cut that stuff out but I'm not taking any chances. I had that "sinking feeling" in my chest for over a month. I never thought I would get to where I am now . So hang in there

• Like Like x 2
    6. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't drink coffee and rarely caffeine because I'm pregnant.. I also have been watching my sugar and salt but today I had to do my glucose test which is basically overloading your body with sugar... I wonder if that's what is causing today to be so much louder..

7. Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      @Natalie Roberts

I couldn't say if my T is actually lower now than when I first got it or just that it doesn't bother me as much now. well I hope you get better

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      The ups and downs of T ringing is the reality of T, particularly new T. It is unstable. If you have less intrusive days this young in your T life, it is really a positive sign and count that as blessing. Remember to do some positive affirmation to help you brain stay more stable, such as saying 'This is going to be loud for the time being due to my pregnancy and I can't treat it with anything much. It will get better over time', or 'I will not react this way to this T ringing all the time. People do get better and I will be the same', etc. etc. So use masking, positive affirmations, getting busy with other things to distract the mind. Accept the current state, even accept the fact that you have a hard time with anxiety. In fact, this last approach of accepting you have a hard time with anxiety is the golden rule to help one defeat anxiety. You should try out IWLM's BTS method. It is a subtle way of practicing acceptance of T, even the anxiety or negative feelings.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Then you will be fine. It takes time, but if you notice your victories you will have more of them. Hang in there. Your mind is adjusting, but you're on your way.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Try to come to a conclusion on the cause, then see if you are eligible for a clinical trial such as the AM-1o1 study.

See http://tinnitus-study.info for more info.

A high-frequency audiogram from 0-16 kHz may also be of help. Try to find a competent ENT - perhaps an ENT professor, or an otologist.

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really feel like the ENT I spoke with was not very knowledgeable about Tinnitus nor helping me. She basically did an ear exam and dismissed me with referrals to an audiologist. She didnt have a lot of the answers I needed. I don't know if I should try to see the audiologist or if that is a waste of time/money or if I should seek out another ENT.. Any advise would be appreciated. I doubt I wuld qualify for the AM-101 since I'm pregnant.

12. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you.. I have had days where it's less bothersome but responds to TV/Radio the same although I can function through the day or sometimes not be bothered at all until late in the day. I am trying to take that as a good sign..

13. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am trying to count the less intrusive days as a blessing as I know many suffer far worse then me. I have also been trying to say the positve affirmations and practice meditation but some days the sound just gets the best of me. I 'm not really sure where I go from here.. Do I seek out an audiologist or another ENT? The ENT I saw was pretty much worthless .. I still haven't tried masking because I guess I don't understand am I supossed to put a earbud in my ear or just play the masking noise externally? I work as a 911 operator and wear a headset in one ear so it would be particularly difficult to mask with an ear bud during work but I could try at home although my T seems reactive.. I'm just so confused and getting depressed. :( Seeking out treatment, or letting it go and seeing what happens? I'm not sure the best course of action.

14. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I feel that I have already provided that i.e. see an otologist, or, a professor within the ENT field of discipline.

In addition, I can attach the relatively newly released tinnitus guidelines which serve to help tinnitus patients be screened with a standard set of tests. Bring it along for your next appointment.

As for AM-101 and pregnancy, I have no opinion. The study centres should be able to answer that (if not the information provided by the web-link).

Anti-epileptic medication might be considered for the more severe cases of tinnitus. Again, pregnancy may be a counter-indication, and, I have no opinion on that one way or another.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    15. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. I have seen a specalist in the ENT field who supossedly focuses primarily on hearing issues and she referred me after a rather non-thorough exam to an audiologist. So I guess my question was more from people's experience is an audiologist the next step or should I seek out a different otologist for second opinion? I apprecaite your posting the link I will print it to keep it handy. I also appreciate your replies. Sorry if I am repeating myself, I just am having a difficult time overall. Oddly enough, today my T is virtually non-existant so far (been awake for 3 hours) and it does this a few times a week throughout the day with spikes in the evenings. The joys of T, I suppose. :)

16. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Natalie,
      Audiologists usually look at your hearing test results and do a tick chart of questions to see how you are dealing with your sound and add up the ticks .
      You might be offered white noise generators or hearing aids if they think you need them.
      You get a follow up a few months later to see how you are adapting.

Hope this helps...lots of love glynis x

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      +
      Your pregnancy has put limits on what you can do treatment-wise. Without meds, for dealing with T, you best option is to relax and keep calm. But how do you keep calm when you hear the T when it is new? Masking and education.

For masking, don't look for perfect masking, like being able to cover the T sound or covering it 100% of your waking hours. Even partial masking can give you some sense of control over T. If spikes happen mostly in the evening, try full masking during evening, sleep time, etc. There are earbuds, PC speakers, sound machines, sound pillows, pillow speakers etc., whichever you can acquire. You can try a combination of them. Sound machines like those from Sharper Image or Homedics are available from Walmart & other major stores. If you have ipod or smart phone, earbuds will be convenient. Just keep the volume down so it won't damage your hearing. Sound pillows can be bought online. Do a google search and you will find them. But of course you need to talk to your spouse about bringing in masking sounds. Perhaps he is willing to use ear plugs if he doesn't like to sleep with sounds. Nature sounds are pretty soothing. So this can be a compromise.

For education, try to read up on ATA & BTA as well as this site to learn more about T. The fear of T is a phobia for some. So the more you learn about T, the less you will fear it and will be less anxious. You will find this trend among all those who write their success stories. They don't say their T disappear, but that they can co-exist with T over time and after learning more about it as being a harmless sound.

For handing anxiety without meds, try abdominal breathing and mindfulness meditation. Google it and search youtube for it and you will find many videos or articles on these techniques. I have lived with anxiety and panic disorder for decades. I can say using distraction is very helpful. If you can move around and doing something else to distract the mind, than do so.

If not, the simplest form of distraction can be like singing your favorite sounds silently. Focus on the lyric so your mind has to work on remembering the words. The other simple method is to to mental math calculation. Make it as simple as your brain can handle without being stuck, but hard enough that it has to work to get the result, such as adding odd numbers cumulatively, like 1+3=4 4+5=9 9+7=16, or whatever you prefer. I choose the harder ones, like deducting 17 from a number consecutively, like 1000-17=983-17=966-17=949 etc. The objective is to force the mind to divert from paying attention to the anxiety feelings to something else, so the 'mental storm' of anxiety can't gather strength to become a category 5 mental hurricane. It works for me to stop my brain on caving into more anxiety suffering.

Take these as baby steps and don't need to eliminate T nor the anxiety 100%. Keep a realistic goal. Try to minimize the effect of T on your life than to try to eliminate the sound. Hopefully by the time your pregnancy is over, you will have better T days. Take care & God bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Suggesting a person who is suffering from tinnitus for only 4 weeks (and pregnant, no less) to look into experimental drug trials. Are you trying to set the bar of irresponsibility for the site? Because you're doing a good job.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Then please, look for a new ENT. Try and see if you can contact @Dr. Hubbard and see if he can help. Please see if someone who practices CBT in your area can help you. But please avoid this advice to look into experimental drug trials just a few weeks into your tinnitus. It's beyond irresponsible. But what I've come to expect from this site. No one can say how you'll feel a few months from now. But there's plenty of evidence that says you'll be feeling a whole lot better in just a few months. It took me 4 months to turn the corner. I know that it's much harder for you being pregnant. But please ignore 'At The Edge of Science's' advice to look into drug trials. Go and talk to a medical doctor who understands your problem. There are no shortage of MD's in this country who do.

Good luck,

Eric

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. ady

ady Member

You are hilarious.

Intratympanic injections are safe for the fetus.

You recommending not to look into a trial that may permanently cure or alleviate her tinnitus IS irresponsible. If you weren't ignorant, you'd know AM-101 likely only works for acute tinnitus. Quick action is of the essence.

Everyone should do their due diligence with medical operations.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. JohnK
      Lonely

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      I'm 4 weeks into tinnitus and desperately trying to sign up for the experimental drug trial. In this case, time is of the essence

22. ahs

ahs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      I read a post here about the am101 trials not too long after my tinnitus onset. You know what? My 8/10 tinnitus reduced to 1 or 2/10 and it has stayed there. If there had been someone such as yourself advising me not to do it, I might be dead now. You are one of those people who think psychological talk therapies are enough for tinnitus, aren't you? I always found that repulsive. Thankfully serious research are being done and my experience is am101 is more than serious.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you for your reply. I personally don't know that I would feel comfortable doing an experimental treatment during pregnancy anyway as I rarely take any form of medication for fear of the effect to the fetus. Also, my t has good days and bad days but the fact that there are good days so early on is encouraging to me that everything will resolve after pregnancy (hopefully). I did am going to also look for another ENT. Thank you ;)

24. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did look into the am101 but was concerned because of the baby. There are SO many drugs out there and without testing long term, it's hard to know what's safe and what isn't. I don't know a ton about am101 but I don't even know that I would qualify. My T is definitely not an 8, most days it probably hovers at a 4 and I think the psychological components associated with it are worse then the noise itself. I am in the process of finding a new ENT for advise and may contact the am101 to see about drug safety but I'm not sure I would be a good candidate anyway. I appreciate everyone's replies and can look at everything from an objective standpoint but it is also paramount to take safety of the baby into consideration. ;) I'm glad the am101 was successful for you!!

• Like Like x 1
    25. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What kind of luck are you having? I haven't looked into it much because 1. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't qualify and 2. I'm not comfortable with signing up for an experimental drug trial being pregnant. If I wasn't pregnant though, I would probably be more apt to jump on the opportunity.

26. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

How do we know it is safe for a fetus? Have there been initial and long term trials on the outcome to baby? I don't know much about this at all, but I know even common medicine zoloft hasn't been studied much in the long term to know how it affects a child's or young adults development. After going on their site I didn't contact the study because I didn't feel they would allow me to participate anyway and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be in regards to a trial drug. Thanks for your reply ;)

27. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you for your advise! I have been seeing a therapist for mindful meditation techniques. I have good days and bad days so I am taking the fact that I've already had multiple good days as a good sign that this will possibly resolve. For example, yesterday the T didn't bother me hardly at all . Like a 1/10 and only flaired slightly while watching tv which is normal for my T. Today its present but still really low volume so far like maybe a 3/10 and I'm able to tune it out or ignore it without masking . Seems like the fluctuations are very common in the beginning. Thanks for your tips on anxiety as well. I've been working on deep breathing as well as the see/feel/hear technique with mindful meditation and notice it helps with my panic and anxiety symptoms. :) the information and support I've received from this site have been so valuable to me.

28. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't matter anyway, the website for am101 clearly states women who are pregnant or breastfeeding may not take part in the study and you must use a reliable form of birth control and be tested for pregnancy before starting.

It also states that tinnitus that was caused by events other then acoustic trauma, barotrauma, operation of the middle ear, traumatic perforation of the eardrum or middle ear infection may not take part in the study.. Since the. ENT's are assuming my T is caused by pregnancy or mild hearing loss I probably wouldn't be a candidate anyway.

Attached Files:

29. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I have had tinnitus for many years and have learnt to habitate to it. Many people do. Anyone that has had tinnitus under 6 months then it is too early to take medication other than an antidepressant which should be prescribed by a Doctor and only if your tinnitus is really affecting your quality of life. Tinnitus can be very traumatic in the early stages but in time most people habiuate. After 6 months if the tinnitus is still intrusive that's when most ENT Drs prefer to look into things more closely. The ear is a very delicate organ and the best thing to do is to leave well alone. Buy a sound machine to use at night by the bedside. You might find my post helpful which is an introdution to tinnitus and things that can help it.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did read it and found it very helpful. :) I did seek out treatment from an ENT, my OBGYN as well as an audiologist for a hearing test all with not much help so far. I am debating going back to a different ENT or seeking out the audiologist I was referred to after the initial ENT appointment. Looking into sound machines now, my partner have me the go ahead! :)