My Tinnitus Journey: It Started After I Had Gained 30 Pounds on the Depo-Provera Shot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Atalya, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Atalya

Atalya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone!

I want to say that my tinnitus started in March after I had gained 30 pounds on the Depo-Provera shot. My left ear is the most affected ear. I mostly get whooshing and hearing my pulse in my left ear. It may be pulsatile tinnitus but not sure. I’m currently losing the weight I have put on. I’m very active.

My doctor has given me allergy medication and nose spray to try first but if it doesn’t work then we may have to send me to Ear, nose, and throat doctor. I do not have any tinnitus in my right ear. Just my left. At times it is quiet and gets louder with stress. I do not hear it much at work but mostly at home if it is quiet.

I am still able to hear very well and I tend to get a lot of earwax sometimes. The tinnitus doesn’t really bother my life too much, it’s just loud when I’m stressed!

Hopefully I find some ways to deal with it. I’m no longer on Depo-Provera but on low side effect birth control pills and I currently am not taking any other medications.

Thank you for reading!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Out of curiosity, did your blood pressure change during this time? That can be a risk factor for tinnitus. Some women get tinnitus (including pulsatile) while pregnant because of the hormonal effects on blood pressure.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Atalya

Atalya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi FGG,
      I feel my blood pressure may have due to the weight gain that I experienced. I was 150 before this happened and I didn’t have the tinnitus then. I normally don’t have issues with my blood pressure. Progesterone is what is in Depo Provera and it certainly didn’t work well for me. I have seen some articles with hormones and tinnitus correlating with each other. High doses of Estrogen can effect blood pressure. Maybe being on the Depo Provera caused the tinnitus because some birth control can. I’m back on low side effect birth control and never had these issues while on it. We’ll see what happens when the weight is lost and the Depo is out of my system.

4. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're probably not around anymore, but if you see this, would you mind telling me what type of pill you are on?