My Tinnitus Loudness Experiment!

Discussion in 'Support' started by glynis-harbron, Sep 21, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus is so loud in both ears and never goes and its a bit freaky as its the same sound of my gas oven on full.
      Well tonight I did a experiment as a rough guide to see what the level would be on a free app noise omiter just for curiosity as never tried doing it before .
      The reading was 65db....
      what do you guys think of that reading as its so loud.
      Its only an experiment with out trying cook my mobile phone hahaha....lots of love glynis

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Well as someone who want to habituate fully i will personally not try tomeasure my T, but it's low compared to some members here.

But in facts i don't think it always means something, i mean as it's not a real sounds, i think there are T that are easily masked but sounds loud in silence and some not maskable but that don't seems so loud in silence, without other sounds to compare.

Mine is quite low, but when i think about it i think it's because it's not high pitched, i have quite a low/middle frequency T.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I definitely agree with you both and had tinnitus in both ears since 2004 and first time I've tried match the sound and great to read your responses
      I wear duel hearing aids .......lots of love glynis x

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Glynis, I know a phsychologist who has t and is quite deaf and he is doing research into T. He told us at our last meeting that nobodies T goes above 15db. I wonder who told him that?

• Like Like x 1
    6. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    7. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Eric,
      Thank you for the information .
      I just think my naughty monkeys are having a rave everyday and due to Menieres now need hearing aids.
      I was just curious and a little freaky my ears sound like my gas oven on full.
      I always look for the good in life and take no notice of what my ears do as I have come to terms with my ears and I just can't be botherd by them no more .
      My ears are apart of me but I'm in charge of what makes me happy.......lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I can't mask mine, I could listen to white noise at dangerous levels and my T will eventually start peaking through. The shower helps a lot but I can still hear my T if I think about it. It's horrific, I wish I could cover it up at times, it would give me some control.

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. Patch

Patch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Hello Glynis,
      I am new on here having just got T in both ears about 10 days ago. Certainly changes things, and not for the better. lol
      I tried measuring my T also, it sounds really loud to me and very high frequency. Best I can come up with was around 8650 hz and matched that as best I could then played it on the computer with a decibel meter and come up with about 55 dba which from what I understand is the volume of normal conversation. I know this isn't very accurate, but gives me a little piece of mind that the sound probably isn't as loud as I think it is. I know I have trouble masking it unless I run the shower or have the sink running. Just thought I would let you know your not the only one that was curious about volume etc. Also, I have read quite a few postings on here and want to thank you for your kindness and inspiration to all that you have replied to.

10. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @glynis-harbron

Are you talking masking volume or matching volume?

I had mine measured multiple times by an audiologist in a sound proof booth. They determine your sensory level then play a tone slowly creeping it up 2db at a time and ask you to match the volume with your tinnitus. Then they repeat it multiple times for consistency. I was consistently around 30dbsl and it was repeated for several months and it was consistently around that level.

11. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I had the same testing like Alue a few times.
      I think problem is in used method. T cannot be exactly measured as it is not perception. They used frequency corresponding to my hearing loss, but different colouring. Result was about 50db but still able to hear it. Maybe because my T is reactive? To completely mask it, result would be something like 130 db i guess. :eek:

12. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I had this done.

7db sensory level at 4khz.

13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus: