My Tinnitus Started After a Neck Massage, Guess I Should Check My Neck?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Thompson, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      hey, I just joined this forum, I've had Tinnitus for around 1 week now, it all started after I got this healing massage in Vietnam, I was having what I thought was nerve pain in my groin, arms and legs, and have had some lower back pain in the past due to my job (heavy lifting, bending) so my friend recommended me this massage, full body deep tissue including neck/jaw.

After the 13th massage/day, I went back to my room, layed on my bed and then I noticed a noise coming from my left ear, I thought it may be coming from the AC, but it wasn't, I had mild Tinnitus in my left ear, then I had to get on 2 flights to get home back in England from Thailand, after the 1st flight I had another louder sound coming from my other ear, the plane pressure when landing was the last thing I needed right after getting Tinnitus.

so now its been 4 days since coming back home, still have tinnitus in both ears, a different sound in each ear, I noticed that if I turned my head the sound would be louder, then I turn back again and the sound would go down. my neck, shoulders, back doesn't feel or seem normal, clciking sounds, aches and pain when doing certain stretches and movements.

I guess I have TMJ or a neck/spine issue that is causing my Tinnitus, as it started after the massage, but I'm not sure. I'm not letting myself get stressed, I've changed my diet slightly, no salt, alcohol, caffeine, I'm vegan so I can't give up my fruit/sugar. I brought some b12 supplements from holland & barrett, and d3, probiotics, sea kelp and gingko biloba. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      Update: I saw my GP yesterday, he said just wait and see if my Tinnitus goes away, I'll see another doctor and ask for a referral to see a ENT doctor, but I'll be on a long waiting list I'm sure. I'll try to get some x rays on my spine and neck.

I am currently having a Tinnitus Spike, I tried to do some yoga, as soon as I done the neck exercises and stretches my T got louder and now I feel so stupid, its worse now, but I'll eat healthy, and avoid yoga.

3. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hope you feel better man and it goes away. Just listen to your body and you will know what works and what doesn't.

4. lisaaaaa38

lisaaaaa38 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck manipulation
      Hi. I am having similar situation. Mine however was caused by a chiropractor am that did neck manipulation. And my neck was swollen for 2 months and very sore on left side. And still is. And tinnitus still there I was wondering if you had pain in the neck after the massage ? Did your tinnitus go away ? I have had mri's of neck and brain. And orthopedic now recommends some physical therapy. I am hoping that will help me out. I also do yoga which I love but my T gets worse also. Hoping and praying it goes away. Hang in there. I do believe it will go away for you too.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      yes I have neck pain since I got the Tinnitus, but ironically I'm seeing a chiropractor to try and fix it but I also have other issues with my lower back too, I saw a chiropractor 2 days ago and he said my neck muscles are very tight and something wasn't right with my joints or something. he x rayed my neck and said it looked good. will keep you updated, I'll be seeing him again next month for my first treatments. I still have Tinnitus, I haven't had a MRI. please let me know what physical therapy you do.

6. Anon Anon Anon

Anon Anon Anon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Massage of neck
      Hi there, I am in a similar situation where I got a massage around the neck area (very hard pressure) and the next day, I heard ringing in my ears. I have had an MRI for my head but nothing has popped up. Has your tinnitus gone away? If so, was there anything in particular that worked?

7. Cloudburster

Cloudburster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Massage
      Jack? Any updates?